1976 FJ40 Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are a couple of pics that Shane emailed me.

Photos 1 and 2 are at Safari Ltd

Photo 3 is pre-purchase inspection.

:cheers:
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

nice looking rig----hope there on the road.:steer::steer:

I picked a 76 fj40 up in Grand Junction in September. I flew into Denver from Kansas City and my dad picked me up and we drove to GJ together. He followed me as we headed down Hwy 50 towards Pueblo where he lives. Made it to Montrose when the alternator went. Found one in Salida, CO and a cousin drove five hours round trip from Salida to Montrose and back to pick me up with a flatbed at about 1:00 AM. Replaced it the next morning and went on in to Pueblo for a couple days of hangin out with my parents.

Headed to KC on a Sunday morning. I wasn't 30 minutes out of Pueblo when I lost my oil pressure. At least I was watching the guage as it quickly went from normal to 0. Checked the oil and it was a little low, but not so much as to cause the dramatic change. Used my phone a friend lifeline, and he suggested I check the wire going to the sending unit. Sure enough it had broken. Hopped back in and continued the 600 mile trip. Only averaged a little over 40 mph the rest of the way home, but no more problems. I caught myself literally smiling all the way home. My first stop was for earplugs. Aftershich I made frequent and long stops just so as to not push it too hard.

Unfortunately it's not a happily ever after. A couple weeks later while :princess: minivan was in the shop, she was driving the 40 and it siezed up completely. Still not exactly sure what happened. She said she thought it ran out of gas. The machine shop has taken 7 months to get the motor done and back to me. Happy to say I just picked it up this afternoon.

Pics are: 1) My dad with the "Green Machine" when we picked it up.
2) Loaded on the trailer in Montrose
3) Waiting a fresh motor (I cleaned it up a bit) BTW it's primarily for my 16 year old daughter to drive - Hence the pink shocks.
100_0178.jpg
100_0184.jpg
100_0430.jpg

Nice mustard color, oem Aisin hubs, warn 8274, hard top,pretty good for put it back oem steelies and keep it stock..in my opinion..hope you enjoy the trip and safe back ...

Hi guys! Got on the road at about 4:30 yesterday. Drove hwy 550 thru the mountains through amazing scenery! We were at an altitude of over 12,000 feet and the switchbacks were constant, but beautiful! For a period of 50-60 miles, we were going 20-35 miles an hour. It was slow, but nice. Drove all the way to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Couple of things: 1. After some really hot driving, I stopped to refuel and the Cruiser wouldn't start. It was cranking, but didn't seem to be getting fuel. I'd done some reading about vapor lock and poured some cold water on the metal fuel lines around the block. This seemed to do the trick and we got moving about 15 minutes later. Thoughts? Also, when driving thru the mountains, fuel seemed to cut out intermittently when going slow or decelerating. If if I pressed the accelerator more, fuel seemed to catch up. This happened going most uphill when turning slowly, but also when downshifting and turning slowly downhill. Besides that, the truck is strong and drove great! Leaving at 5:30am and going down thru Sante Fe and hoping to end the day in about 12 hours in Ft. Stockton. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone!

glad you are one the road:steer:---------sounds like a adventure for sure:D.....please be safe and get the rig and ya'll home safe.:hillbilly:

Sounds like a great adventure.
Wondering about fuel filter if it was changed? has one?

..1. After some really hot driving, I stopped to refuel and the Cruiser wouldn't start. It was cranking, but didn't seem to be getting fuel. I

Trick is: After hot driving and starting the engine again, press your accelerator half or completely down, try it ;)
Toyota described this in their Landcruiser owner manual .
" How to start your Toyota "
Cheers & good luck & enjoy the trip
( drove most of your trip some years ago)
Peter

rusty gas tank?
X3 - most likely scale from your tank after sitting working it's way to the fuel filter, don't know if you got around to installing the in-line filter as people had suggested. You'll know for sure if it starts cutting out under high pressure when it gets more clogged. Mine did this when I bought it after sitting, went through 4 filters before I ended up replacing the tank (was seeping at the bottom).

Good luck!

Tucker

x4 on the rusty tank. You probably sucked rust and other junk up through the fuel lines and into the carb. Hopefully it won't get any worse before you get home.

If you do have an inline fuel filter pull it and replace. If it is a clear filter look for junk in the filter. If you don't have a filter you might have sucked some junk into the carb.

When you get home I would suggest blowing out your fuel lines, installing a new filter, and take a look at your gas tank for rust inside.

If you have sucked junk into your carb you could always do an 'Oklahoma Rebuild' which is where you take the air filter off the top of your carb and choke off the air supply to your carb with your hand or a piece of cardboard. This 'might' suck the junk out/through.

Good luck!

PS: email me more pics to post!

Eventhough...pics are coming your way now. Also, I did put on one of the clear plastic file filters and it is super clear. Could be a combination of junk in the tank and vapor lick in the fuel line. So far, everytime it won't start after a hot few hours, cold water on the fuel line works. And old timer told me to put wooden clothes pins on the metal fuel lines and they will pull the heat out. Strangely, I've now heard this weird remedy from two smart older guys...so, went to Dollar General and it looks like my grandma's backyard under my hood! Anyway, had breakfast in Santa Fe (Ta Sophia's for an awesome burrito), drove to Roswell, then to Artesia, NM. Having a bite to eat and then my girl and I are off to Ft. Stockton...Texas! Should be back to my state in a 1.5 or so! All is good, and thanks everyone! Thanks Eventhough, for the pic help!

Im so jealous of you and your daughter!!!! I wish I could do a new drive with a 40. Sounds like your having a Blast and good luck for the rest of the way!

You have an awesome attitude! Hope you and your daughter are having a memorable (good) adventure.Sounds like you are taking the glitches in stride. God speed! Oh thats right, it's a 40, never mind. :lol::clap:

Glad ya'll are almost back to Texas:steer::steer:..........i had a 8N Ford tractor that would run like a bandit on a cold day, let spring time get here and time to plant food plots, and the warm weather it would vapor lock, a old timer told me the clothes pin trick and to us a piece of asbestos between it the fulel line and the tractor motor.............i did and it ran like a 8n should---- sometimes:crybaby::crybaby:............

Have a safe trip---------:popcorn:

Couple more pics for y'all.

Pic 1 - The Land Cruiser parked just outside the Pagosa Springs Bar and Grill...a block from our hotel. The bar was for me, the grill for my daughter.

Pic 2 -A pic taken by my daughter just before we poured water on the fuel line and left Santa Fe.

Pic 3
photo01.jpg
photo02.jpg
photo03.jpg

Great drive today! We are having a blast! The only thing we are having trouble with is trying to sing loud enough to drown out the road noise! The Cruiser is winning that battle. Anyway, it's driving good and cruises nicely at 60-65. Knock on wood, we'll be home by noon tomorrow. It has gone by way too fast. Thanks again everyone for your wisdom and help along the way. Eventhough...thanks again for the picture assistance.

What an awesome trip. Driving Roswell/Ft. Stockton is pretty brutal in the summer though. In a 40.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom