1974 FJ40 Basket Case Chevota Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow ROCK solid. I can show you bad. What's hacked on on the quarters? For flares?

Yep, cut for flares. Distorted as hell ...like he used a sawsall with a wood cutting blade.

I don't mind cut so much as cut the way ONE side was done.

I have a welder and am not afraid to use it. The quarter will get fixed and centered around the wheel in its new location (FJ60 rear springs)

I think this thing still has all of the factory paint on it too. I'm tempted to try and blend the paint on the quarter repairs and run it as a "survivor". Maybe use a little CLR on the rust that formed in the scratches.

Last edited:
Very nice! Most have to start with much worse. I'm glad it'll be back on the road/trail again!

I'm surprised to see how solid it is.

I bought it on a whim and stuck it in dad's barn without really looking at it. I never guessed it would have taken this long to look at it.

ALL of my street rod projects have been WAY worse than this.

Today was christmas for me. I open the boxes of parts that came with the FJ40.
20141222_084656.jpg
20141222_084740.jpg
20141222_084843.jpg
20141222_085029.jpg
20141222_090138.jpg

Even though this was supposed to be a long drawn out father/daughter build.....I'm anxious to jump in.

I gotta make myself work on the Fargo.

I keep flip-flopping on how I should build this thing. I know what I want it to be....SOA'd on 35's, but that probably isn't the best thing for a teenage girl to drive to school. Lower would be better.

But I think I can build it low for now....with plans for going higher when she gets some more driving experience. I think I want to go ahead and outboard the spring mounts, but mount the FJ60 axles SUA. It may hurt my feelings to have it low, but it probably needs to happen.

I think it all comes down to what kind of driver your daughter is and if this is going to be her everyday vehicle. If it's a daily driver I would agree with you on keeping it lower for now.

I don't know what kind of driver she will be, but she has always had a "Hey Y'all, watch this!" kind of spirit.

....yeah, it needs to be low. I'd be pissed if she flopped it.

I don't know what kind of driver she will be, but she has always had a "Hey Y'all, watch this!" kind of spirit.

....yeah, it needs to be low. I'd be pissed if she flopped it.
My oldest daughter is my tomboy, but not crazy behind the wheel like my son. I let her take my 40 a few time to HS (pissing off the camo'd out jeep boys) but I know she was careful knowing the time and money I had invested in the rig. Also the lecturing about how dangerous the vehicle could be didn't hurt.

I showed the little monster pics of a stock height FJ40 and she was like "that won't be very good off road...it needs to be higher"......

and yeah, I'm making her build sweat equity in the FJ40 with the hope that she will know what it took to get it built.

With a little luck, I will have 60 axles and springs under it next weekend. Spring under at first...

Son of a bitch! I don't know what I was thinking. The blown up fj60 motor is a 3F and the motor that didn't match up is a 2f. I have a supposedly good 2f! Son of a bitch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom