Builds 1973 Mercedes R107 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only thing of real significance that got done this past weekend was truing the teeth on the crank trigger wheel. We cut the center hole with a cnc plasma. Thought it was pretty close checking it with a feeler guage, but I didn't trust it. So I pulled the pulley back off. I found one of the hole punches in my hydraulic hole puncher fit really well and the cup for that punch kept it square when bolted together. Set up a dial indicator, then sanded each tooth with a 80g die grinder roloc.

Found the lowest tooth and zeroed the indicator. The opposite side was .043 different. I marked the edges that needed to be trimmed yet and put a dot on the ones that I got to within .003 plus or minus. The specs on the hall effect sensor gap is 1.5mm nominal, which is .059 in black and white.my gap should vary from .056-.062 max.

After re-doing the grounds both coolant and air temp sensors read correctly. TPS reads well and is calibrated. Still no CKP signal to the laptop. I'm pretty confident I'm getting signal to the VR Conditioner, but no LEDs flashing. Reading a forum suggests cranking a hall effect without the VR conditioner jumpers set to hall can smoke the arduino. Good thing they're cheap. The really big problem with Tunerstudio ecus is the learning curve. I'm one late night interweb search from buying a terminator x.

View attachment 3585625
If you decide to go with the Terminator, a friend of mine here in town is a master Holley tech and gets excellent pricing on their stuff. He’s done some of their prototype testing and has purchased factory refurbed pieces for projects for like 25% of MSRP. I can connect you if you want.

I was messing with the CKP again this evening, listening to the Discworld series again on audio book. I listened to them all on cassette tape checked out of the library the first time. I learned why Project Binky is named that and had to be painted white. Death rides a pale horse and that horse is named Binky. Probably nobody else on a land cruiser forum is at the cultural crossroads of rally car fabrication and Terry Pratchett, but I had to tell someone that I was this old when I learned this fact.

I sure hope the BOM channel gets going again.

I was messing with the CKP again this evening, listening to the Discworld series again on audio book. I listened to them all on cassette tape checked out of the library the first time. I learned why Project Binky is named that and had to be painted white. Death rides a pale horse and that horse is named Binky. Probably nobody else on a land cruiser forum is at the cultural crossroads of rally car fabrication and Terry Pratchett, but I had to tell someone that I was this old when I learned this fact.

I sure hope the BOM channel gets going again.
You’re a gigantic nerd!

But I guess I am too for knowing exactly what you’re talking about. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Runs. I kept running into things with the speeduino that were not going to be resolved in time for warm weather. The plan morphed to puttinig the D-jet on the 73 motor in the 78 chassis and work on the stand alone in parallel.

Details took some time, but it's all serviced, hooked up and running. Drove it outside to get under dash stuff done where I could open the doors and not fight the hoist being in the way and I needed to get it warm where it would not kill me from asphyxiation.

Water pump s*** the bed as soon as it built pressure. I'll swap the other one on today.

Pulley belt order is different. I had to swap the other pulley on, so I either need to swap accessory drive components or install another crank sensor wheel on the other pulley.

Gotta bleed the brakes. I have rears, but no fronts.

The giant PCM is mounted where the relay and vacuum pod nonsense was for the Chrysler Climate control. It looks like the heater boxes need to be swapped. That's a problem for future Gum. I think I have heater valve control, fan control and I hope I can figure out a way to get heat or defrost. That might have to do for this season.

I'm not sure I can live with the jams and core support. It's mostly stickers, data plates and Vin tags keeping me from just priming them. All the scratches from the paint stripping showing through the primer sealer looks bad too. Needs a coat of high build, but then it'll need re- sealing. Maybe I can do that to a panel at a time over the summer.

14077 (1).jpeg

14062.jpeg

14067.jpeg

14076.jpeg

Last edited:
The d-jet re-install was a giant waste of time. I got it running pretty well, but I have no idea why it started working or why it suddenly stopped working. I cleaned the breakers for the injectors. Got them to work very well. When it quit I had good injector input pulse, but no output from the ecm to the injectors. Theres no testing or diagnostics for the ECM.
I ordered a pre-built speeduino PCM because it was about the same price as the tester unit for the home built one. Wired it this past week.
Put a new water pump on. Should have done that from the start. Both old ones leaked.
Pulled the radiator while the coolant was drained. Fixed up the core support and primed it. Ordered a sticker kit from etsy for the oem looking stickers I sanded off.
Wired up a loom for LS coils. I have good spark from the 73 ignition. The 78 distributor has a bad wire from the dizzy to the module. Part of the problem with the old speeduino's lack of success. Got new coils, a wire kit, and remote mount brackets from Michigan Motorsports. I'll run the Benz dizzy until I get fuel dialed it, then it'll just be a plug in the harness and swap the dizzy for the Ford CMP I modified to fit. I tried to buy a lathe from the faceballs, but, as is usual, got no response from the seller. I chucked it up to the drill press with a bolt through the center and milled it down the 2mm it needed. Cut a new o ring groove. Turned down the shaft a smidge and drilled new roll pin holes. Cut the shaft to length and I have a cool looking CMP for spark control. Wired both hall effect sensors to shielded cables. Couldn't run them or the other couple of things under the dash because I primered the sill on the right side.

Used this wrench trick to loom the wires. Wish I knew of it before i turned my fingers to hamburger on the Lincoln harness.

15803.jpeg

15830.jpeg

15801.jpeg

15831.jpeg

15832.jpeg

Last edited:
Inside wiring done except stuff I thats not important for the initial start. Tach, fuel pump and fan control. The wires just happened to fall right in front of the relay center. Pink and brown are ign power and engine ground spares. Pcm will mount just rearward of the fuse box. Big wad of unterminated wires are boost and vvti and other unused stuff.

16198.jpeg

16195.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom