1966 Little Champ Camper for the FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, here it is. A 1966 Little Champ travel camper. I bought it from a guy in Mount Clemens over the weekend.

I had Ocho77's camper in the back of my head when I was going to look at this camper. It's from 1966, and there are not many of them out there. So info on their history is limited. It's small on the outside and roomy inside, it has a full sized bed and another bunk that sleeps another two people. I loved Ocho77's off road teardrop camper when we stayed in it over the summer, so I wanted something like that. I also wanted to be able to carry my Meyers flat bottom boat on top. The tires and suspension on this camper aren't as rugged and large as the off road tear drop campers, so I'm not going to expect it to be able to follow the FJ60 everywhere. For the kind of camping I plan on doing with it, this will be a camper that I take from fishing hole to fishing hole. If I want to get into the boonies, I'd better unhook the trailer and leave it at camp for the day. It may surprise me though, the camper weighs 780 pounds (with gear inside, but without the boat).

I'll have to upload more photos of the brochure (the camper came with everything that was purchased with it in 1966 - even the original keys to the door handle locks) and it came with a frame that bolts to the door side and a canvas tent that goes over that frame. That way the camper itself will be a place to lay my head at night to sleep, and to stash my gear. The tent will be where we set a table, cook, play cards, etc. I don't think the tent was ever used or set up. It has a vinyl floor too, and there's not a speck of anything on the canvas or the floor. Its a cool little rig, and the tent is a big plus. If I arrive at camp for the evening and its pouring rain, then I can just crawl into the hard shell camper and set up the tent in the morning. Sort of the best of both worlds. The tent is 8 foot by 10 foot I believe, and the camper itself is 11 foot long by 76 inches wide. The tent effectively will double the living space of the whole thing. Its surprisingly roomy inside. On the main bottom bunk I can sit up with plenty of head room and even crouch if need be. The other bunk will really be a gear bunk instead of a sleeping platform.

There are some things I'll need to do to it to make it completely road worthy, there's some veneer that needs attention and I'd like a welded mount to carry my boat motor and gas tank. I will need to more than likely install a heater of some kind in there, and rig up a fan with a battery for ventilation at night. The angle iron frame below has surface rust so that will need some chassis saver and paint. The battery and heating system will be the biggest modifications to it, because the one light inside is powered by the trailer light plugin. There's no onboard provisions for that, and I'd like to add something. I will also need to extend the trailer light wiring... it barely long enough to reach the back of the truck.

It may not be super fancy or completely off road worthy, but I couldn't have built one exactly like it for what I paid for it. So I'm happy with it. As soon as the snow melts and the trees bloom I'll be loading the boat and be ready to hit the inland lakes!

262967961_1067764630742722_4855834888589361571_n.jpg

Man, that thing is sweet! Should be a great rig

Hey guys, I have this idea in my head to modify the camper to fulfill some criteria I have for the camper and get rid of some extra Toyota parts I have laying around. Thought I'd bounce the idea off of this group here before I order a bunch of steel and buy a welder.

I have an FJ60 rear axle I can't seem to get rid of, with factory steel rims and tires that at least hold air. Instead of scrapping the axle I've cooked up another alternative to put it to good use. I also have front and rear FJ60 OEM leaf springs, assorted suspension parts, and an extra couple of alternators laying around to boot. The part about the alternator will make more sense in a couple of lines.

The plan would be to fab up a new trailer chassis for this camper I've already got, and put the rear FJ60 axle as the trailer axle, but place it behind the camper so I can still open the camper doors. The camper is 11 foot long by 76 inches wide, and the new chassis and truck axle would put the overall length of the trailer to 16 foot. The original camper suspension, axles, wheels and tires would be cut off and sold, and the camper body/shell would be lifted over the new chassis and plopped down on top. With the extra space behind the camper and over the FJ60 axle, I would weld up a cargo box of sorts to give extra space to carry fuel cans, cooler, etc. The suspension for the truck axle would be much like the Baja buggy rig my friends and I made in college, a long trailing arm-type rear system that would be closely mimicking a "trailing link" rear suspension. Instead of leaf springs for the axle I was thinking of using airbags or cheap shocks. The truck axle would then have the full rear diff spinning uselessly as I drove, so a large pulley would be affixed to where the driveshaft would normally go, and then run a rubber belt to one of the extra alternators I have on the shelf with a small pulley to run the alternator between normal RPM ranges to generate power for the camper batteries I plan to add to the system. This would help extend the potential amount of time spent "boondocking" in the woods.

I guess what I'm asking of you guys is to tell me whether or not this idea is far too crazy to even consider. In my head it makes some sense, but when I step back and look at the big picture, I think to myself, "hell, there's nothing wrong with the camper as it is right now." The only things this project would accomplish would be to use extra parts and give the camper some better off-road capability. Just ideas right now. I would need a cheap welder and some square tube steel to get rolling with this. I've attached a hand drawn sketch of what I'm envisioning for reference, I hope it makes sense. The thing on top of the camper is supposed to represent a canoe. Let me know if I need to check myself into a mental health facility or not. Thanks guys!

IMG-0716.jpg

Jake,
Sounds like an awesome idea and some great ingenuity. If you have the time and parts, why not?

My only concern would be the off-road part. Most true off-road camper cabins are also built to sustain the off-road environment. Only concern would be whether the camper shell could sustain it as much as the suspension. I've seen washboard roads destroy campers because they aren't build to sustain that type of travel. Just food for thought.

Other than that, looks bad ass!! Also, I have a penchant for loving things nobody else has, and this would definitely fit that. Hope you're doing awesome!

Jake,
Sounds like an awesome idea and some great ingenuity. If you have the time and parts, why not?

My only concern would be the off-road part. Most true off-road camper cabins are also built to sustain the off-road environment. Only concern would be whether the camper shell could sustain it as much as the suspension. I've seen washboard roads destroy campers because they aren't build to sustain that type of travel. Just food for thought.

Other than that, looks bad ass!! Also, I have a penchant for loving things nobody else has, and this would definitely fit that. Hope you're doing awesome!
Jonathan, you present a very good point, about the sturdiness of the camper itself. I guess I'll have to figure out exactly what kind of off-road travel I'm planning to do before I rip into it. It is from 1966 and was never designed for true off the grid travel. This was meant to haul behind the family sedan for a weekend away.

Something to think about for sure. I'm doing fine myself otherwise and I hope you and the family are too!

Sounds like a cool idea to me! You wanted to add storage anyway, and I'm guessing you needed a reason to buy a welder? :)

Boxes checked, do it!

It will need a name...

Probably not much more than a snowmobile trailer under it now.

[QUOTE="cheezypoof, post: 14269370, member:

It will need a name...
[/QUOTE]

Shackoutback

Dare I enter the competition ? Found this in a friends garage.

champ.jpg

Hey guys, I have this idea in my head to modify the camper to fulfill some criteria I have for the camper and get rid of some extra Toyota parts I have laying around. Thought I'd bounce the idea off of this group here before I order a bunch of steel and buy a welder.

I have an FJ60 rear axle I can't seem to get rid of, with factory steel rims and tires that at least hold air. Instead of scrapping the axle I've cooked up another alternative to put it to good use. I also have front and rear FJ60 OEM leaf springs, assorted suspension parts, and an extra couple of alternators laying around to boot. The part about the alternator will make more sense in a couple of lines.

The plan would be to fab up a new trailer chassis for this camper I've already got, and put the rear FJ60 axle as the trailer axle, but place it behind the camper so I can still open the camper doors. The camper is 11 foot long by 76 inches wide, and the new chassis and truck axle would put the overall length of the trailer to 16 foot. The original camper suspension, axles, wheels and tires would be cut off and sold, and the camper body/shell would be lifted over the new chassis and plopped down on top. With the extra space behind the camper and over the FJ60 axle, I would weld up a cargo box of sorts to give extra space to carry fuel cans, cooler, etc. The suspension for the truck axle would be much like the Baja buggy rig my friends and I made in college, a long trailing arm-type rear system that would be closely mimicking a "trailing link" rear suspension. Instead of leaf springs for the axle I was thinking of using airbags or cheap shocks. The truck axle would then have the full rear diff spinning uselessly as I drove, so a large pulley would be affixed to where the driveshaft would normally go, and then run a rubber belt to one of the extra alternators I have on the shelf with a small pulley to run the alternator between normal RPM ranges to generate power for the camper batteries I plan to add to the system. This would help extend the potential amount of time spent "boondocking" in the woods.

I guess what I'm asking of you guys is to tell me whether or not this idea is far too crazy to even consider. In my head it makes some sense, but when I step back and look at the big picture, I think to myself, "hell, there's nothing wrong with the camper as it is right now." The only things this project would accomplish would be to use extra parts and give the camper some better off-road capability. Just ideas right now. I would need a cheap welder and some square tube steel to get rolling with this. I've attached a hand drawn sketch of what I'm envisioning for reference, I hope it makes sense. The thing on top of the camper is supposed to represent a canoe. Let me know if I need to check myself into a mental health facility or not. Thanks guys!

View attachment 2903064

Sounds like something I'd do! A couple quick thoughts........I've seen too many trailer tire blowouts to think that using old tires is a good idea. Get new ones. And, consider the distance between the hitch ball and axle carefully. If it's too far, the trailer won't follow the tow vehicle; it will cut corners and make turning difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom