16" wheel BS question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning on going to a 16 x 8 wheel soon so that I can run a 255-85 tire. Of the wheel choices one has a 2.5" BS or about 1" less than stock. The particular wheel is the Procomp Rock Crawler Series 52. With a 255-85 tire I don't foresee an issue with excessive tire protrusion past the fender. Could there be other issues that may arise with a 2.5" BS?

I am also considering the MT Classic II that has a 3.6" BS, thus about stock, but it costs about $45 more per wheel over the Procomp.

One other consideration regarding BS is that by having a 16" wheel I'll have the option of running the tire/wheel combination on an 80 series in which case the deeper BS would be preferable.

So how about some feedback regarding 2.5 vs 3.6 BS for an FJ60?

I have no personal experience with 2.5" BS wheels, though I do run spacers. Specifically a 3.5" BS 8" steel wheel with 1.5" spacers - which nets out to a 2" BS. After 25,000 miles, no issues. The wheels stick out just past the fenders, looks fine to me. I've considered adding a small rubber strip on the fender to reduce dirt/mud thrown onto the body, but I haven't gotten around to it. I believe that the truck handles a little differently with the spacers installed, it's subtle, and in the context of a lifted leaf-sprung tractor, not a big deal. I believe it is slightly more likely to follow road grooves, and it feels different on higher speed corners - I have to steer it a bit more.

Also, there are lots of posts on here about 2.5" BS wheels, and also about spacers. In many of those posts there are comments that the wider wheel spacing relative to the OEM will increase stress on the knuckle bearings. I don't know the definitive answer on this, but it does make some sense. Since I probably do more PM than a typical LC in africa...I'm not too concerned about it.

You should be fine with either but I would go with 7 inch wheel.

It has more to do with the design of the wheel v bs for interference with the brake caliper.

The 16x7 cragar soft 8 with a 4 inch bs will work with factory brakes ( i never tried with my 4 runner brakes).

I run a tacoma spare wheel an OEM 16x7 with a 1.25 spacer with 255/85/16 big horns and I really like the setup. I also like the spacer since I can run just about any wheel I want.

I'm running a set of Mangel 16x7 w/ 235/85R16 on the shop dog 60. I think the BS is 3.5", and they are mounted w/ a 1/4" spacer just widen the stance a tick. The plan is to move up to 255/85 but they are hard to find (impossible?) for a reasonable price. Keep that in mind.

I kinda wish I'd just put new 33x10.50's on the 15x8 ALCOA wheels that left here for alabama last year.:meh:

You mentioned price a few times, but I will throw this out since I do not know where you are price wise. I have Stockton Wheel's model SWS 2277083 16X7. I paid $915 for 5 powder coated and delivered, so they are not cheap. They have 3.25 inch B.S. in the Toyota 6X5.5 lug pattern. The center bore is 4 7/16". Heavy steel rims! No clearance issues and I can run many different tire widths. I run 235/85/16's which are a common truck tire (Toyo AT's). By being a common truck tire size, prices are competitive (I paid $185 each, mounted, balanced, out the door). Plus, they are 10 ply rated, something that one cannot find in the 15 inch tire. Jim is right; 285/55's are hard to find at a reasonable price in the tread types we are looking for. Stockton wheels are expensive, but you may be able to close the price gap when you consider the tire and wheel price together. (Also, consider price of wheel, plus spacer, and tire if you go that route.)

Wrapping this up.

For wheels I went with U.S. Wheel 84 Series Black Daytona Wheels, 16x7 and 4" BS. US Wheel part # 84-7760L. Bought these through Summit, and shipping was free.

Bomar called it regarding the need for spacers. The wheels cleared the TREs but hit the calipers. A 1" spacer would probably be adequate but I needed something fast and went with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. I was crunched for time to get new tires on and could not find any available for less than 1.5" Bought two sets so that the front and rear wheels would be spaced equally. No problems yet with the spacers so I guess spacers aren't actually the spawn of satan.

BFG MT KM2s in 255-85-16 are the tires I selected. Got these through Discount Tires Direct with free shipping and $50 rebate. Best deal on tires I could find.

Some pics.
JCG_4365.jpg
JCG_4361.jpg
JCG_4362.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom