14' LX570 remote key wont lock or unlock after sunroof left open in rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help!

My wife left the sunroof open on my LX and it rained last night. I went out there this morning to jump her car of all things and I couldn't get the key to unlock the door. I tried the other key and replaced batteries in both to no avail.

I got my ladder out and crawled through the sunroof and was able to start the car without any problems. I still cannot lock or unlock it with the key and it after I turn it off, it appears the immobilizer dash light flashes.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Of course, I am going out of town for work tomorrow and this couldn't happen at a worse time.

I currently have the windows barely cracked with the heat blasting to try and dry it out some.

This doesn’t solve your issue but don’t you have a mechanical key in your fob to at least open the door?

It was weird but I tried to use the key and it didn't work. But since I have left the HOT air on for around 5 hours with it idling, everything inside has dried out.

The key seems to be working now, I don't know what got wet, but whatever it was, has dried out and all seems to be good for now.

Glad it is working.

For future reference - Full cold AC with the windows closed is a much better dehumidifier than the heater.

If you still have a musty smell give it a try for a few hours.

Even if things are working I would strongly recommend you pull the lower door jamb trim and look for water resting in the recessed area along the rocker sill. That area can hold water for a long time and some major vehicle harnesses run through there. Eventual corrosion of the connectors can cause lots of problems down the road.

Pulling the trim is very easy.. just grab it in the middle and pull up gently.. the back edge will have a tab that locks it to the b-pillar trim, rotate the door jamb trim toward the center of the car and it should unhook. When you put it back make sure you pull out on the weather stripping to avoid it getting trapped under the plastic trim.

11’ LX570 150k mi. Having the same/similar experience as the OP. Car would not start yesterday without a jump. Then ran fine. However, key fobs only good for starting car…lock/unlock would not work. When exiting the vehicle, get three beeps similar to when you leave the car on/running and walk away from the vehicle with key in your pocket. When left this way for a few hours, battery is depleted and back to needing a jump. Had the same issue about 3 months ago so put a new battery in vehicle and new batts in fobs. That did not resolve immediately, but through trial and error mixed with some luck, everything sorted itself out. Here we are again…but now all the lights come on when preparing to start the vehicle, but it will not start. Have pulled the negative battery cable to “reset” things, but still no go. About to have it towed to dealer but hoping someone here has some answers. Reading this post reminded me I went through the car wash on Sunday…no immediate issues. Worth mentioning, later on Sunday my wife dropped me off at home and she got a few blocks away when she realized I still had the key fob in my pocket and she came back for it…don’t know that this has anything to do with the current issue. Tried everything I could find online. There is a blinking red light with a key icon on the dash. I believe this indicates the key fob is either in pairing mode or the vehicle is in some sort of protect state. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I am dealership bound via tow, any suggestions. In reading online seems this could be a starter issue, or an alternator. In the replies above, I am not sure where the door jam trim is located…the vehicle was left at work last night so I will look for this when I have a few minutes today. Probably need to get this towed today if I can’t resolve on my own.

11’ LX570 150k mi. Having the same/similar experience as the OP. Car would not start yesterday without a jump. Then ran fine. However, key fobs only good for starting car…lock/unlock would not work. When exiting the vehicle, get three beeps similar to when you leave the car on/running and walk away from the vehicle with key in your pocket. When left this way for a few hours, battery is depleted and back to needing a jump. Had the same issue about 3 months ago so put a new battery in vehicle and new batts in fobs. That did not resolve immediately, but through trial and error mixed with some luck, everything sorted itself out. Here we are again…but now all the lights come on when preparing to start the vehicle, but it will not start. Have pulled the negative battery cable to “reset” things, but still no go. About to have it towed to dealer but hoping someone here has some answers. Reading this post reminded me I went through the car wash on Sunday…no immediate issues. Worth mentioning, later on Sunday my wife dropped me off at home and she got a few blocks away when she realized I still had the key fob in my pocket and she came back for it…don’t know that this has anything to do with the current issue. Tried everything I could find online. There is a blinking red light with a key icon on the dash. I believe this indicates the key fob is either in pairing mode or the vehicle is in some sort of protect state. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I am dealership bound via tow, any suggestions. In reading online seems this could be a starter issue, or an alternator. In the replies above, I am not sure where the door jam trim is located…the vehicle was left at work last night so I will look for this when I have a few minutes today. Probably need to get this towed today if I can’t resolve on my own.
The door jam trim is the bottom of the door at the sill. Removing that trim will allow you to check for water/moisture.

Update: Thank you all for the replies. Think you are spot on with the diagnosis. Purchased the electronics cleaner, disconnected the battery, exposed the corroded area or the socket and connector and sprayed both. Used a nylon brush to try to clean a little. Used some compressed air to dry/remove any left over fluid or debris. Reconnected the plugs then the battery. Still unable to start the vehicle. Seems to be “immobilized” based on the flashed red car/key light on the dash. Anyone have experience correcting this…or is it time to tow to the dealer? Wondering if the water/corrosion caused a short that has damaged components. Or perhaps more cleaning of the connection points in the wire harness. Thanks again for any and all input. Never would have found this on my own.

Could be a low battery or cable ends need cleaning.

Try finding your local forum clubhouse and see whether someone has techstream. You really need to pull the codes to have any clue what’s going on. And these codes may be above what a Bluetooth adapter can recover.

I'm back. Wish it was to simply report the solution...but nope. Gave up trying to solve on my own and had it towed to the dealer. They had it a week and could not replicate. Vehicle started every time for them. Had some work done on it (tires, brakes, oil) while there. Picked it up and drove it a few days. Now back to square 1. Car battery dead. Jumped and my wife drove to school. Dead at the end of the day, jumped and drove home. Did this 1 more day...now it won't jump. Key fobs are both confused and "Key not detected" message on display. Can't lock the car with the fob, have to use removable key to lock/unlock. Beeps 3x when exiting the vehicle. All lights come on, just won't start. Have to tow it back to the dealer...again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom