13BT BJ74 exhaust path (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My exhaust is crap. PO made a single pipe out over the frame rail and threw on what looks like a cheap Thrush style glass pack muffler with a 8” extension and side dump. I’ve never liked it.
So I’ve never seen an actual stock exhaust on a BJ74. Want to know how it routes through or around the frame and under the truck.
I pulled an exhaust off a wreck and it’s almost serviceable. Seems to cut behind the transfer case and go diagonally under the floor to exit on the LH side rear.
Anyone got a couple of good pics of how it should route around the transfer case? I looked at 4x4factoryexhaust in Australia but they don’t seem to stock a replacement for this engine.
Looking for pictures if anyone has some.
Anyone sell a kit that anyone knows of?

@cruiserpilot maybe from this image you can get something out of what you are looking for.

Mine is from a local exhaust shop so it is not stock either.

1651094736478.png

Goes on the outside of the frame over top then turns and goes back inside the frame a few feet later. I am having a guy do my stainless 3 inch system V Clamps 3 sections and have a custom cut ct26 flange water jetted out for the turbo dump. Plan on doing something custom with better flow.

Anyone got any pictures?

Do you have a better pic from the 3rd pic of the frame mount for that hangar outside the frame? I’m halfway through mine and PO ground it off. Trying to figure out how it should look. Can’t find one to buy one.
Where did you source this tailpipe?

00CEC44A-CEFC-4ACD-8536-D0C13D125F4B.jpeg
8A20288D-28E6-4D52-B83A-FFF61B7EF08E.jpeg
37128DB3-1AA2-4840-9F43-AC866B40FF32.jpeg

The system looks like the stock setup for a BJ74. As far as I can tell it’s all stock, I haven’t changed anything on it.

Thank you, that bottom pic is the one I was looking for. Its slightly lower than the actual top of the frame,
so it's an angle bracket with a gusset. Mine is long gone. I don't want to just weld on anything, rather have it look
like it belongs.
I've been in contact with Factory4x4Exhausts.com.au and they have dropped the BJ74 3" SS systems they used to make
because lack of requests. And despite exhaustive searching, no one else is supplying quality aftermarket exhaust for the
4 cyl 74/73's etc. 6cyl equipped versions seem to have a couple of options but they supply on LH side, as the 4 cyl
supply on the RH side. Bummer for us. The search goes on.

Thank you, that bottom pic is the one I was looking for. Its slightly lower than the actual top of the frame,
so it's an angle bracket with a gusset. Mine is long gone. I don't want to just weld on anything, rather have it look
like it belongs.
I've been in contact with Factory4x4Exhausts.com.au and they have dropped the BJ74 3" SS systems they used to make
because lack of requests. And despite exhaustive searching, no one else is supplying quality aftermarket exhaust for the
4 cyl 74/73's etc. 6cyl equipped versions seem to have a couple of options but they supply on LH side, as the 4 cyl
supply on the RH side. Bummer for us. The search goes on.

Great info. Hope you find something. I’ve got an old school custom exhaust Guy that’s getting ready to retire so I need to figure out how to run mine.

My dump pipe off the turbo is a 2.5” so I’m trying to decide to go with that, or up to 3”.
Either way I need to decide if I mimic factory or just straight back.

As for science, I’m not sure there is a performance/egt benefit with the 13BT from 2.5 to 3”. Now I’m sure there is a sound difference but without exhaustive (pun intended) testing it would be hard to prove any benefit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom