13 Lx570 Vehicle Speed Sensor location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Screenshot_20230208-114138.png

So I've been getting an intermittent PO722 error which indicates the vehicle speed sensor may be faulty on my 2013 Lexus LX 570.
I crawled under there today to see how much of a pain in the butt it might be to replace, and I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know where the VSS is on a LX570?

I saw a two-wire sensor on the driver's (left) side directly above the transmission oil pan. Is that it?

I can't find any other sensors in the parts diagrams, but the number for the two within the transmission is 89413-20010

The vehicle gets ground speed and odometer from the ABS tone rings at the hubs but I'd think if you had one of those acting up you'd also be getting ABS/VSC lights and codes.

I believe (but only from Google search) that P0722 is the TRANSMISSION output speed sensor and has nothing to do with vehicle or wheel speed. After recently re-gearing my diffs, can 100% verify that speed and OD is measured at the wheels not the transmission.

Thanks for all your help!
It's interesting that there's two sensors. I assume they look for a speed differential between the two of them.
I'll crawl under the truck tomorrow and see if I could find them. I ordered one sensor. Hopefully I can pinpoint the problem

Thanks for all your help!
It's interesting that there's two sensors. I assume they look for a speed differential between the two of them.
I'll crawl under the truck tomorrow and see if I could find them. I ordered one sensor. Hopefully I can pinpoint the problem
Yes, they expect certain differences between the input and output for different ratios, and newer transmissions tune the clutch engagement in real time according to these sensors. Deviate from those conditions for long enough and it adjusts or triggers a MIL.

So I was able to fix this on Friday. As expected, the parts diagram is correct - there are two sensors on the passenger (right) side of the transmission. One is at the rear of the trans directly above an exhaust O2 sensor, the other is near the front of the transmission behind the shift linkage.

I was lucky, and the rear sensor was bad on mine - it's far easier to get to.

I'm posting this info / pictures to help anyone who has this issue in the future.
PXL_20230211_174220392.jpg
PXL_20230211_174143711.jpg

So I was able to fix this on Friday. As expected, the parts diagram is correct - there are two sensors on the passenger (right) side of the transmission. One is at the rear of the trans directly above an exhaust O2 sensor, the other is near the front of the transmission behind the shift linkage.

I was lucky, and the rear sensor was bad on mine - it's far easier to get to.

I'm posting this info / pictures to help anyone who has this issue in the future.View attachment 3248141View attachment 3248142
So you just popped the old sensor out and replaced it with new?

Thanks for posting follow up. Good tech

I popped the old sensor out, replaced it with new, and cleared the code (I used the torque app, and a bluetooth OBD2 dongle - I didn't have to break out my old techstream laptop) - done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom