12HT Turbo splattered with oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
so, my turbo looks currently like this.
IMG_8290.jpg

This is not new, this has been like this since I own the truck. I've driven 5k km without any issues in performance. I don't have any oil dripping on the garage like crazy. But I need to do something about it.

So I took out the intake and noticed that from the PCV hose there's a bunch of oil coming into the intake. I don't know how much is the correct amount of oil, but I guess not that much, that you can wipe off with a paper and comes out nasty black.
InkedIMG_8279_LI.jpg

Are these 2 separate issues or one affects the other. Meaning with an oil catch can I can improve the PCV situation, but that splattered oil looks like something else...
In the mean time I gave the area a good clean and I'll check if I see something leaking out. For now it's too dirty to identify anything. Maybe there's a tiny crack on a pipe that I can't see without taking the whole thing out.

I've just been going through alot of this with my turbo install on my 3B. If you install a catch can make sure that none of the fittings restrict the blowby. If you restrict it it may cause oil to back up in your turbo and leak out into the intake and exhaust.

Hey @nachohj61 did you ever figure out what was going on? I am having the same issue and wondering if it is piston seals or blow by. Excessive oil in the turbo and smoke on startup. Also just upgraded to a 3" exhaust and after 20 min of easy driving I would wipe oil from the end of the tailpipe.

Hey @nachohj61 did you ever figure out what was going on? I am having the same issue and wondering if it is piston seals or blow by. Excessive oil in the turbo and smoke on startup. Also just upgraded to a 3" exhaust and after 20 min of easy driving I would wipe oil from the end of the tailpipe.
Hey Paco, I removed the intake and cleaned everything around...it´s still clean after 2500km so I don´t know where it´s coming from.
Inside the intake there was some oil sweat, probably coming from the PCV so in my case I think a Catch Can would help...but haven´t got to that point yet.

Smoke on start up is usual as far as I know, just one black puff and then nothing. I get a bit of smoke under load or acceleration over 3000 rpm

Thanks @nachohj61

I am cleaning mine up now and a catch can is in the works. Will let you know how if goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom