12HT rough idle & thick diesel smell from exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you also need a new battery. Also does your glow screen work? When I tried starting my 2H with bad glow plugs it smoked out the neighborhood for a good 15-20min. I removed my glow screen on the 12HT but the Ute gets to live in the garage so no long sits outside in the cold anymore

Sounds like you also need a new battery. Also does your glow screen work? When I tried starting my 2H with bad glow plugs it smoked out the neighborhood for a good 15-20min. I removed my glow screen on the 12HT but the Ute gets to live in the garage so no long sits outside in the cold anymore
It would be two batteries unfortunately :confused:. The cold weather has taken its toll on them.

As far as the glow screen, I do not know if it works. I do not have an indicator on my dash it seems.

And I was able to find a new tank from toyota 950$ shipped, should be here in a couple days. I would love a long range rank but its not in the budget atm. So I will be dropping the tank again, clean the fuel assembly and filter and lines, fuel filter, and also run it for a bit off of a small tank of sea foam, diesel and anti algae product... just to try and get whatever gunk is in it out. I will also take off all the banjo bolts from the pump/fuel filter assembly and check again for a mesh screen/filter. Just need time to do it.

Good thing is I have done it recently so it should go faster. 🤞

Last edited:
So I dropped the spare tire and assembly, rear stab bar, and the old tank. Installed the new tank with a cleaned fuel assembly and new filter. Cleaned the rubber hoses to make sure no algae was present.

51EEC808-BCAF-4C3B-8840-5DFBBCDF23CC.jpeg

Also broke apart the banjo bolts to the feed pump, fuel filter assembly and injector pump. The banjo bolt for the fuel feed line did indeed have a metal mesh filter. This is what it looked like.
B787E477-4C3A-4260-936F-CA47DC1565A7.jpeg

143C4DDB-BCC3-4BE7-837F-F846FB69495A.jpeg

Bam! Issue solved!… or so I thought. For the warm fuzzy I poured a mixture of sea foam and diesel into the tank. Then took off the old fuel filter and installed a new one. This nastiness is what came out the old one.
B428783E-3FD6-49D9-ACE7-DA3105F585BB.jpeg

Primed the new filter like a champ. And started it. Starts immediately but runs really really rough, just like it did before with the rich smoke out the exhaust that doesn’t go away after running. Also did not idle up to 1000rpm like it would normally when it’s cold. I cracked the injector lines at the top of the pump. Some lines spew fuel out and up, others dribble it out. It seems 2 of the injectors cracked didn’t make a difference in the sound of the engine idle. I drained the sea foam mix from the tank thinking that may be the issue, and poured in brand new clean fuel and still no change after letting it run.

I’m hoping it’s an injector issue. Unfortunately, after reading the 12ht manual and looking at the engine, I have to drain the radiator coolant to remove heat pipes to get to the injectors so I can pull them to get tested. Oh well, open to ideas everyone. Vacuum issue? If anything, I have isolated what it isn’t and can move on from there.

Is that the confirmed filter that fits the banjo bolt?

Have you had your injectors tested? With the miles on your engine, now might be a good time to tear it down and do a rebuild before a catastrophic failure. Just a suggestion.

Last winter I had play in my turbo, mileage on my 12ht is unknown. Had injectors tested and 2 failed. Rebuilt them. Replaced turbo (wink) and adjusted valves. Rolled in some new BEB and reseated the oil pan. In retrospect I should have just pulled the engine had the head done and put in new pistons. For peace of mind.

haha! yup mission creep

Not good.. maybe a compression test is in order as well.

Last edited:
Is that the confirmed filter that fits the banjo bolt?

Have you had your injectors tested? With the miles on your engine, now might be a good time to tear it down and do a rebuild before a catastrophic failure. Just a suggestion.

Last winter I had play in my turbo, mileage on my 12ht is unknown. Had injectors tested and 2 failed. Rebuilt them. Replaced turbo (wink) and adjusted valves. Rolled in some new BEB and reseated the oil pan. In retrospect I should have just pulled the engine had the head done and put in new pistons. For peace of mind.
That is the filter for the banjo bolt according to partsouq. When you pull up that part number online it says NLA but offers a substitution from Toyota, 22529-67010. Haven’t picked it up yet but will confirm if it fits.

And nope gonna pull the injectors next, once I have time to drain the coolant.

Last edited:
Not good.. maybe a compression test is in order as well.
Agree, hoping for the best. At this point I feel if I pull the injectors, get them tested and thrown back I can further isolate the problem. Fella in town tests them for 15$ a piece.

Anyone know who has a compression test tool I can borrow?

This is where my filter was on the feed pump banjo bolt.
2C0159F4-78CC-4E70-9A21-55C51A2B25A9.jpeg

Last edited:
I pulled the injectors out today and brought them to a shop to test. Said all were bad, including two that were stuck open. I hope that explains the rich diesel smell from the exhaust. I’m in the market for OEM injector nozzles PN 093400-5240.
62B82C9B-E0F4-4B48-8C9A-D7936BC85A90.jpeg

FBC3A8E1-C7DB-492C-A42B-F2F6B453DB02.jpeg

I also received the mesh filter for the banjo bolt. Fit perfect.
1BFFE877-7A6D-4FB0-90A8-214A42017C66.jpeg

FF333783-FEB9-40B2-9A7F-EBF697FEC778.jpeg

Diesel place (United Diesel in Alexandria) has OEM nozzles on order... said it could be a while before they get in. They cleaned up the old ones in an ultrasonic cleaner, rebuilt them and they tested ok. So while I am waiting on the new nozzles I put the cleaned up ones back in.

Glad to say the truck is now running great.

IMG_9360.jpg

69636273650__B3EBCF58-9B67-4CD6-AB24-8E036BA79314.jpg

IMG_9384.jpg

Waiting on a compression test tool, will probably check valve clearances next.

glad to hear it mate! I bookmarked their website in case I run into injector issues down the road. ;)

Sorry if I missed it but did you happen to get a part number on your fuel tank? It’s OEM? I’d like to get a new one. The parts guys at my local Toyota dealer said they are not available.

Sorry if I missed it but did you happen to get a part number on your fuel tank? It’s OEM? I’d like to get a new one. The parts guys at my local Toyota dealer said they are not available.
2DCD0B4E-2740-4BF7-8D10-16EFD425B68D.jpeg

This is the tank part number. You can see what the tank looks like in the pic comparing my old one to the new one. My hj61 tank is like the fj60 tank, it does not have the pump in the tank only the pickup. When I looked up the part number on online, it was NLA from Toyota but it was superseded by the part number above which was available. And yes my dealer was able to get me one.

Thanks for the part number. I can now confirm Canadian availability. Price is 1500.00 FFS.

Thanks for the part number. I can now confirm Canadian availability. Price is 1500.00 FFS.
Yes, it was around 980$ for me here in the states. Would have liked to have gone for a LR tank but will have to wait as it’s out of my budget at the moment. Not to mention still needed a location for a spare tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom