12HT Rebuild Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So
EA or no way??

Keep looking Logitec and Puffin
remember a lot of the spares are shared with the 2H engine
My problems are that the cam is out of speck and no one in South Africa has the profile because the engine was not officially sold here.
otherwise, scratch around like I have and use your established diesel engineering shops.
We may even get some help once the Japan vs Taiwan debate has ended.
G

So
EA or no way??

Keep looking Logitec and Puffin
remember a lot of the spares are shared with the 2H engine
My problems are that the cam is out of speck and no one in South Africa has the profile because the engine was not officially sold here.
otherwise, scratch around like I have and use your established diesel engineering shops.
We may even get some help once the Japan vs Taiwan debate has ended.
G

I'm pretty sure the OP's question has been well and truly answered, my money would be on an SMS kit if you're not connected to the industry but personally I used to work for East Coast 4wd in chipping Norton and I'd get my kit from there and probably even have them rebuilt it for me because I'm time poor, Brendan or Bobby there can sort you out with a range of kits.

I refer to Watrob for 12ht rebuild questions, he is the latest mud SME on the subject.

As for the Jap Taiwan debate please please please forgive us for adding educational value to the forum, I know we like to spin the spanners in the backyard with a beer in hand but a little factual knowledge can help make informed decisions.

Hi Crick
No direct offence meant
I guess there are frustrations when when trying to rebuild these great engines in countries where they ere not sold into in great numbers. Also besides EA not much is know about alternate suppliers but the names remain brandied about, ACL Nason, Arco, Precision international, but, as they say, no cigar.
To me the Jap Taiwan debate ranks along with the " two stroke oil as an additive " and the "oil seal in the back axle debate" as in, no correct answer and to each his own, and they do sometimes tend to hijack threads.

regards
George

Engines Australia 12ht kits have Japan mains, big-ends, little ends with Australian cam bearings, thrust washers and gaskets.

bearings 001.JPG

Engines Australia 12ht kits have Japan mains, big-ends, little ends with Australian cam bearings, thrust washers and gaskets.

AND PISTONS FROM............??????

Nothing on the box but part number with 12ht std plus diesel power parts sticker so my guess is China for pistons rings and probably gaskets. I ordered this kit through the local diesel engine recondition shop and there quality parts as he has to give warranty with all his builds.
I wont show the bar code sticker.
alfin 005.JPG
alfin 001.JPG
alfin 004.JPG

Last edited:
No just fiber with steel/tin insert but like stated OZ shops have to give warranty so only the best kits survive.

Thanks. I've got the local dealer to get someone at the warehouse to look at one and possibly get a pic of it. If they have changed to mls I'll be going genuine for the seals. Fibre gasket possibly won't handle what I have planned. Although that does look like a good quality one as far as fibre head gaskets go

I brought 1/2 the engine kit for what there asking for a multi layer steel gasket. Anyone tried copper on the 12ht.

Hi Folks
regarding protrusion specks. Blake from EA send me this

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:36 AM

To: George Christian

Subject: RE: Thankyou for your enquiry

Gday George

Please find attached a quote on Piston assemblies to suit a 12H-T Toyota

Pistons come with Rings, Piston pin and Circlips fitted.

Piston protrusion is 0.51 - 0.64mm

Regards Blake

Concerning the other parts, I have been picking up bits and pieces here in South Africa, and surprise surprise , the shells, thrust and cam bearings all come from the same suppliers as the pictures above. The pistons however come from AutoPower, with the same part-numbers, and they look identical. It is rumoured that there is only one manufacturer, but everyone remains mum on this one. Obviously.

Looking inside, the letters 2A ore obvious, but also a D6 8 or possibly a P6 8 which the camera cannot pickup. Also, the milling inside the combustion chamber looks post machined, which may make sense as it undercuts the top entrance to the chamber. Are they all like this?? These did not come from EA.

Another one, when checking the deck height, should you fit the rings, or can you get away with just the pistons in the bores?
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG

Last edited:
I checked mine and it was 0.01 - 0.25mm so I would be asking how thick his head gasket is in his kit. My old head gasket was 1.8 and the new one is 2.0 so after torque IT should be around 1.8
The pistons look great with the four scallops in the piston recess as it will help with fuel swirl and give good combustion.
I will try and look for marking but there fitted but will roll around and try and have a look.
If you had a high revving engine with a tight squish you would to check above deck height on four corners front back and sideways and cut to suit but with these low revving diesels.
I would check with no rings as long as you have ample piston to head clearance - squish zone.
My guess on the alfin pistons are all made in the same factory but to different manufacturing specs for each supplier.
All great great info thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
I bought a rebuild kit for my 2h from @beno. all Toyota parts, from Toyota. i did not get the pistons rods and pins however. the kit was only $1300 or so. I'd always check with our forum vendors before purchasing anything anywhere else, unless of course doing so is more convenient. my 2c

Hi Folks
regarding protrusion specks. Blake from EA send me this

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:36 AM

To: George Christian

Subject: RE: Thankyou for your enquiry

Gday George

Please find attached a quote on Piston assemblies to suit a 12H-T Toyota

Pistons come with Rings, Piston pin and Circlips fitted.

Piston protrusion is 0.51 - 0.64mm

Regards Blake

Concerning the other parts, I have been picking up bits and pieces here in South Africa, and surprise surprise , the shells, thrust and cam bearings all come from the same suppliers as the pictures above. The pistons however come from AutoPower, with the same part-numbers, and they look identical. It is rumoured that there is only one manufacturer, but everyone remains mum on this one. Obviously.

Looking inside, the letters 2A ore obvious, but also a D6 8 or possibly a P6 8 which the camera cannot pickup. Also, the milling inside the combustion chamber looks post machined, which may make sense as it undercuts the top entrance to the chamber. Are they all like this?? These did not come from EA.

Another one, when checking the deck height, should you fit the rings, or can you get away with just the pistons in the bores?
View attachment 1234016 View attachment 1234017 View attachment 1234018 View attachment 1234019

After having a closer look my pistons are the same so defiantly from the same Chinese supplier.

Cheers Oz.
Be good if anyone can take some pics of pistons supplied by Engines Australia .
5 gets you 10 that they are the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom