12HT Rebuild: Shrieking sound on startup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I’m really at a loss and need some help.

I’ve been working on a huge project rebuilding and swapping a 12HT into my 40.

Today I finally fired up the engine in the car for the first time.

Important info: I converted the truck to 12V, glow screen isn’t hooked up, and the starter is a new manufactured non Toyota 12V unit for a 12HT.

Problem #1: Shrieking and engine load:
The truck fires up quickly after cranking for about 3-4 seconds. The engine doesn’t idle comfortably. You need to give it burst of throttle to keep it alive. It feels like it’s under load from something, despite the transmission being in neutral and the tcase being in neutral.

Once the throttle is released, the engine slows and then there is a terrible shrieking sound like a bad pulley before the engine abruptly stops. It’s almost like it’s being stalled out.

From my testing, it sounds like the noise is coming from the starter potentially.

My thoughts: could the starter be seizing and not retracting, adding drag to the engine and then as idle slows it kills the motor and shrieks?

My plan: I’m going to loosen all belts and pulleys to eliminate them as potential causes. I’m going to manually turn the crank and see what I hear. I’m going to bench test the starter, and if absolutely necessary I’ll pull it off, put on a 24V one and test with that one.

Thoughts?

Problem #2: It took a while to prime the injectors, but after a while I was seeing a thick spray of diesel mist coming from the engine bay. Even with a light I couldn’t pin-point the source. There is lots of fuel collecting on top of the block under each injector. I can see the return fuel line leaking despite being past factory torque spec. The rubber isolators between the injector body and block are also leaking fuel with air. You can see little bubbles coming around the seams of some. All nuts are torqued to spec. Thoughts?

A1AB33FA-2C42-4E80-80F0-5F488AB895A1.jpeg

8569701B-E32B-49E3-BBB3-1F2A38E01F26.jpeg

missing crush washers for the diesel leak issue?

I wonder if the shrieking/shutdown is the intake shutter closing? Is there a vacuum leak somewhere?
She's probably starving for air.

wow, nearly there. Not an expert but I wonder if removing the alternator belt would make a difference , maybe even the fan belt just run it for a bit before it gets hot.

The engine is getting some sort of resistance which is stalling it, the screech suggests something connected to a belt is seizing, to me from the video. Have to remove as much as possible whilst still being able to start, air filter hose so can see the butterfly?. Don't think a starter would make that sound, but maybe wrong.

No other option for fuel leaks but redo them. Not sure if the lines are same as 2h, but your olive ends may have a slight bur this is a possibility. They never seal with the slightest bur and easy to make it worse by over tightening them, which creates the bur in the first place and /or especially being misaligned.

Sure is interesting, reckon she will run though! Look forward to what you find.

You are sure there are injector seat crush washers installed ?
Starter motor will not stall a 2H or 12HT.
Had a starter motor that activated will driving the 2H.
Gets hot and got killed.
Did not drop down in revs either when in idle.
Screaming vacuum pump on the alternator??
Sure the clutch of the AC pump is free ?

One more item to check
Power steering pump .
Oil ,air bubbles. They sound horrible when running dry.

Updates:

I loosed all the belts. The shrieking has stopped and the truck idles on its own and is very stable at a nice 500rpm-ish idle. The sensation of "drag" is gone.

I think one of the belts was just exceptionally tight (I tested them all and they felt fine). All of the pulleys are spinning freely, and the AC clutch spins free. Im going to re-tighten the belts but leave them a touch looser this time around.

FUEL: Ok so I pulled the turbo cross-pipe and intake pipe to get more access. The lines are clearly leaking around the crush washers. Those crush washers were supplied by the company that rebuild my injectors. Im going to remove them and swap them for metric copper crush washers and see if that solves the issue. What I don't understand is why there is fuel leaking upwards from the injector tube and out of the rubber isolator? Im going to tighten everything just a little bit more and see if it improves.

Progress progress.

some of them crush washers have an 'up' and 'down' orientation

You are still talking about washers on the lines,but you never confirmed if there are crushwasher installed at the seat of the injectors. ??
No washers means air/diesel flow / blow upp from the cylinders past the injectors / rubber seals.

That is what bj70bc is also referring too,

You are still talking about washers on the lines,but you never confirmed if there are crushwasher installed at the seat of the injectors. ??
No washers means air/diesel flow / blow upp from the cylinders past the injectors / rubber seals.

That is what bj70bc is also referring too,
yes injector seat washers, they look like a cupped washer, brass or copper i believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom