12HT / 2H / H bellhousing interchangeability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know **definitively** if the manual transmission and auto bellhousings can be swapped between any of these blocks?

FWIW: I don't have a specific setup in mind yet. I am shopping around for another 12HT and many of them have an automatic attached (I want a manual). I may end up doing some bellhousing swapping with friends depending on what I buy...

The 12H-T block is virtually identical to the 2H block - the primary differences between them are in the cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and the additional piston skirt cooling and crank stiffening plate found on the 12HT. Pistons are different, and the 12H-T has stouter con rods as far as I am aware.

I bought a 2H that originally had the auto trans, and it was very straightforward to swap the flex plate out and install the manual transmission (H41), flywheel and clutch. I am 95% sure that it would be no different with the 12H-T.

Ok Guys,
but what about the old 'H' engine? Is it the same block as the newer 2H(t) versions?

The 12H-T to the bellhousing is the same but is the same auto bellhousing the same for mating to a manual transmission ?

I don't know myself but I'm pretty sure Dave at Japan4x4 got me a new bellhousing to match up my 12H-T (with an auto bellhousing) to mate up my 12H-T to my H55.

I'm not sure but, I swear, I remember hearing Dave say he got me a new bellhousing for mating my 12H-T to the manual. I honestly could be wrong but, damn, I swear I remember hearing him say that.

Dave would definately know the answer to your question not that your question hasn't already been properly answered by Henry James and Tapage.

Last edited:
Ok Guys,
but what about the old 'H' engine? Is it the same block as the newer 2H(t) versions?
From what I have seen from pictures, the H engine block seems to have quite a few differences to the 2H - in other words, they did more to the engine than increase the displacement when they went from H to 2H. I don't know for a fact however whether the bellhousing configuration is interchangeable between the two. The H41 transmission was in production for a long time and predates the introduction of the H series, so I suspect that the H/2H will bolt up to the same bellhousing. The engine mount configuration is different between the H and 2H, and that probably means the bellhousing for an H is not exactly the same as on a 2H (speculation, not firm knowledge here)

Speaking of the H series of engines, I was looking at a Hino cab-over 5 ton truck the other day, which had a turbo 4 cylinder engine of 4.4 liter displacement - it was called a '15' in the owners manual (perhaps a '15B-T'?). Anyway, the manual also listed other engines available for the truck, and the 6-cylinder models (6.35 liter displacement) were named 1H, 3H, 4H and 5H. I'm guessing there is a relationship here to the Toyota H/2H engines, since Hino makes (made?) the diesel engines for Toyota. Since the venerable 3~3.4 liter 4-cylinder B series engine has now been developed into a 4.4 liter 15B-T version, could it not also be the case that the H series of engines has similarly been developed, now at 6+ liters? I'm curious to know how these other H-series engines compare to the H and 2H used in Toyota trucks - I mean, if the B series has gone up to 4.4 liters in much the same physical space/size as the B, then maybe these other larger H-series engines are still the same physical size as the H/2H engines? (which leads to ideas about potential swaps...).

I've always wondered why the B series of engines developed in the sequence B, 2B, 3B, 13B, 14B, 15B... ( I realize i may be missing some models from the line-up here), and H-series went H, 2H, 12H-T. The list of other H series engines in the Hino manual gives me pause to wonder what other models of H engines there are out there, and what the extent of the relationship is between the engines Hino makes for Toyota and the ones used in their own trucks.

Last edited:
mmm my english are not enough .. ?

Maybe I missunderstand the question .. but I don't think the auto bell housing will function with a manual tranny ..

There are not much auto trannys in 60 series here .. so no much experience in this way.

mmm my english are not enough .. ?

Maybe I missunderstand the question .. but I don't think the auto bell housing will function with a manual tranny ..

There are not much auto trannys in 60 series here .. so no much experience in this way.

x2 The auto bell nousing would have a hole for the clutch fork???:confused:

2H auto are rare in oz but there are plenty of 12HT autos

47th, I don't think you'd be able to stretch a h/2h to 6.35l... was the "15" 4valve.. can you get a foto mmmm hijak sorry. :cool:

i didnt want to start a new thread, so to revive this one....(i am researching but cant find clear answers...)
i know most put manual tranny behind 2h.

say i have a 2h
and a a440 from my 3fe.

could they be mated?
would i need to change bellhousing?
i dont have much info on the 2h, other then its canadian

The transmission splines should be a perfect match. H and F engine series transmission splines geometries are interchangeable.
I --DO NOT-- know if:
1) the flywheel diameters match
2) bellhousing bolt-patterns match
3) Splined shaft length matches

toyota tranny fsm is for A440F // A440L
ill d/l to see whats up

edit : it is a torrent link so it will take forever to d/l

Last edited:
"F and H series engines share the same bolt pattern and their transmissions are interchangable."

quote from CIS Auto Web's Diesel Land Cruisers

not much info/reference.

sorry to multi post, ive been cruisin' the net for 6+hrs to find an answer

I've always wondered why the B series of engines developed in the sequence B, 2B, 3B, 13B, 14B, 15B... ( I realize i may be missing some models from the line-up here), and H-series went H, 2H, 12H-T. The list of other H series engines in the Hino manual gives me pause to wonder what other models of H engines there are out there, and what the extent of the relationship is between the engines Hino makes for Toyota and the ones used in their own trucks.

The sequence doesn't look so strange if you take into account that the "1" stands for "direct-injection" Chris.

Then, without the "1" you have B, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B which is a straight sequence. (Similarly for the H motor.)

:cheers:

im pretty sure the number proceding the engine code is the generation. ie: 3b = 3rd generation 'b' motor

The 12H-T block is virtually identical to the 2H block - the primary differences between them are in the cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and the additional piston skirt cooling and crank stiffening plate found on the 12HT. Pistons are different, and the 12H-T has stouter con rods as far as I am aware.

I bought a 2H that originally had the auto trans, and it was very straightforward to swap the flex plate out and install the manual transmission (H41), flywheel and clutch. I am 95% sure that it would be no different with the 12H-T.
i am rebuilding a 2h. head is perfect, but cracks in the cylinders causing overheating. I found a used 12-h block in good condition. Can I use the 12-h block with 2h head and components?

I know that the 12H-T block have the oil squirt cooling feature .. highly desirable .. but do not know if the cooling lines gallerys are compatible .. actually the 12H-T have less compresion compared to 2H engine .. but thought due to DI engine vs IDI ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom