12/21 Wheeling ... Anyone interested? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m out, feel horrible, been up since 1:30.

Running late just got to the parking lot. Anyone have any contact info for people going. My phone is 7172616981

Well what an awesome day on the trail!!!! I'd have to say overall I've never had a more fun and interesting day at AAOA. In the lot and checked in by 9 was Vince with the Lexus, JZelnick and wife in their nice 80 series, Cass in the camo 80, and Andy after jump starting the 4Runner while on the trailer!. We got out of the lot a little after 9, very few others there today- a few jeeps and a few ATV's and one or to side by sides. Guess the temperature (18 at 9AM) kept numbers down.
Andy led us out of the staging area I was riding with Cass in his toasty truck. Four trucks all locked and capable make for a good crew. Andy took us down and did a lot of the trails in the area immediately to the left as you exit the staging area, trails 1, 2, and 3. It was great with all the snow and ice. Did a neat tight switchback climb and of all things ran smack into the jeep group going the opposite direction! It was good fortune though, as Tuna King was riding tailgate with them looking for us. He'd arrived late and didn't have anyone's phone number. Things sometime just work out and he jumped in with out group!!!
From there we went up the climb on trail 1 toward the power lines, then made a left onto trail 14 at intersection 191. Ran that out and then beared right onto trail 12, the onto trail 13 down to intersection 593 where the trail was barricaded!!!! After a small tree was taken out of the equation we were able to squeeze through and get back onto trail 12 which we took all the way out to the very end- it was a long drive and a lot of downhill that took us almost down to the high road (the paved road we take from Lavelle to Gowen City) and then it switchbacked up to the left and headed seriously and in a very straight manner uphill. We had stopped down near the bottom for a short lunch break. That brought us back up to intersection 758 and from there we headed back and then down trail 17 to the lower areas. Ran into several blockaded trails and then found the main trail is securely gated near intersection 737. We snuck across on some smaller trails and did Excalibur, then got onto trail 9 which crossed the pipeline in an area near route 901, it was quite the trail. Had some neat uphill and downhill sections that were fun in the snow. Not sure what trails we exactly did from there but Andy had us headed back to the staging area.
Got back there at 2:15 and temperature was an almost comfy 33 degrees with the sun shining to boot! Was much nicer airing up than it had been airing down in the cold. Nobody at the airing up station so that went quickly. Was a very good day nothing broken and I got to see new trails for most of the day. Hadn't wheeled with JZelnick before and they did great. I went into the office before heading home to find out about the closed trails. Trail 36 was blocked off as was the red trail adjacent to it. Dave said there is a new cell tower to be erected in that area and AAOA needs to stay out of the construction area. I didn't get a good reason for the main trail being closed off other than now that the pipeline construction is done some things have changed. Not sure exactly how/if one can get down to access the lower and upper anthracite trails now.
All in all a small competent group. Thanks to Andy for finding new and interesting trails it was a blast!!!!!

The very limited pics I took yesterday. These were all after lunch break as I was charging my phone, chatting with Gary and dealing with some work drama during the morning.

Vince and JZelnick
20191221_133212[1].jpg

Tight trails with some elevation changes
20191221_133214[1].jpg

What a view
20191221_135247[1].jpg

Following Andy and TunaKing up the trail
20191221_135327[1].jpg

Lots of icy puddles around. Tuna tried one particularly deep hole with ice ~1" thick, but the ice was cracking into the headlights before he reached the bottom of the puddle. Andy seemed to be able to drive over many of them without breaking through, but the 80s are way too fat for that.
20191221_135829[1].jpg

Great day, Andy and Tuna tackled the biggest obstacle of the day, a small side trail with 2 deep holes and 2 large rocks that made it challenging and off camber. The tight trails are always fun and I was happy not to hop huge rocks in the slick conditions. Prefect day for my first snow trail ride.

Only downside to the day for me was my truck is showing milkshake in the catch can still a bit and I confirmed that my front locker is no longer working. Hoping the locker is an easy fix.

Looking solid guys. Hope to catch up with you guys next month maybe....

Happy holidays PA friends.
-onur

You too Onur ... and make next month a definite plan for you and Kris

By the way the photo taken over the camo hood with the paved road down below really caught my interest. It's state road 901 and the way I usually go home from AAOA. I had no idea there were trails so close to that highway and that is right near where the pipeline crosses the highway. Just one of the several pleasant surprises I had on last week's trail ride! You can et that on my way home last Saturday I was looking up to see if I could make out the trails!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom