11-12mpg on hwy (stock rig with no additional weight) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the record some code read tools won't be able to clear steering, srs, abs, etc.. though the fact that his reader is displaying those is encouraging.

I agree those codes look like a recent battery replacement. Fuel trims are probably dialing in. Along with it being the first tank of gas from the dealer lot which probably includes idling and low speed test drive...

It should go up from here. I'd expect 13-16 avg MPG for those mods

Last edited:
Old codes likely from a battery swap, I'd clear them then see if they return.

Your troubleshooting seems pretty solid. What AT tires are you running? Most in your size are LT construction and should be closer to 40psi to maintain the load rating, and I know from experience mileage will increase a bunch as well.
Yokohama Geolander 285/65/r18

I have thought about even removing the cross bars until I need them.

I am still wondering if anyone else has noticed an increase in MPG with the addition of skids? I did find this article from Van Camping Life: "Skid plates will improve your fuel economy, but not by much. Smoothing out the surfaces underneath your vehicle will reduce drag and improve airflow: after all, manufacturers often use belly pans to improve mileage. However, skid plates will also add weight to your vehicle, and off-road vehicles are not usually designed with fuel economy in mind. Based on our research, you can expect an improvement of 1 to 3 miles per gallon with some skid plates, but your mileage may vary."

I noticed about a 1mpg highway increase after adding full skids on my 2003 Montero. Would love to see a similar increase on my LX, but the LX did come with more factory undercladding than the Montero did.

So I just want to give an update on my rig.
After a few weeks of owning it and driving it in mixed conditions. I am now getting around 15mpg average which is more in line with what I was expecting :) Not sure why the average was so low before but anyway the car seems to be fine. Thank you all for chiming in and sharing your experiences.
BTW, I am now in the process of building the rig, have already ordered suspension, bumpers, sliders, roof rack and more so the mpg is going to go down, this time for real!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom