Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes and no, and not really but kinda. ;)

So the way we've always done it was to have the vendors join the event. We want them to be attendees of the event, not event sponsors that occupy a booth and talk to prospective customers across a table. They're on the trails with us, sometimes leading a trail, sometimes just as participants. They camp and set up a small space near their camp, but we do not do an official "vendor night" like many other large events. We have always planned to do a pseudo vendor night for HIHX just to celebrate the longtime vendors that have done so much for HIH attendees over the years. Since so many of these vendors are close friends with Chris and I, we wanted to hang with them at our event.

We didn't want them standing behind a booth all weekend while everyone else had fun. We felt like this was the best of both worlds for the vendors and the participants. You can see their products in use on the trail and you can chat with them about their products over a trailside lunch or over beers around the campfire. They bring their entire families and it becomes the one event each year that they can attend as participants instead of it being work for them. We don't have sponsor tiers or charge ridiculous amounts to sponsor the event. They pay the standard registration fee and they're free to "work" as much or as little as they'd like.

The products that they donate to the raffle are completely up to them. We do not charge for raffle tickets and there is a "gentleman's agreement" (or lady's agreement) that any product won at HIH will either be used by the winner or traded for another product that was won. It's been that way since year one. We've switched it up the last two years to have specific buckets for specific items that folks need and it's worked great. We gave away five bumpers at HIH9 and only had maybe 30 tickets in the bumper bucket. The winners are always super hyped, which makes it exciting for everyone, and no one wins a bumper that they already have. The problem there would be that if someone were to sell that bumper that they won, for half the cost of a new one, it devalues the product from the vendor that was generous enough to give it away at our event.

HIH folks are super cool and we've never had an issue with anyone trying to take advantage of this unwritten rule in 10 years.

Is vendor registration open or will it have an open/close date?

Is vendor registration open or will it have an open/close date?
No open/close for vendors. We allow vendors to register through the vendor registration and cut that off once we reach capacity for space. Vendors do get camping spots closer to the deck at the lodge to help promote their brand in an easy to see/get to area. They're pretty involved with a lot of the "experience" things that we do after trails. Kids movie night, coffee/hot chocolate bar, ladies wine night, whisky tasting, etc.

Just talking about that stuff makes me think of those warm summer nights at Kendall when the place is absolutely jammed! Kids riding bikes and digging in the dirt, families enjoying the incredible scenery, awesome food, tons of laughs and over one hundred 100 series Land Cruisers parked in every available space. We could all use a little of that this year. I'm probably biased, and there's a lot of great events out there, but HIH is different. There's nothing else like it anywhere. Without the hugs and high fives and gatherings, what else is there? Anyone can go to Silverton and drive the trails. Of course it's better with a group, and it's nice to have the safety in numbers if you've never driven Black Bear or Poughkeepsie, but the best part of HIH has nothing to do with being on the trails.

Opening Night party at the Wyman is legendary. Friday Night Pot Luck and Beers Around the World is the absolute best night (IMO). The Southern 100s Crew brings enough food from Louisiana to feed 500 people. They cook for hours on Friday. It's the best. BBQ dinner and raffle on Saturday usually doesn't quiet down until after midnight. It's so legit.

We don’t need insurance!!! And we will all sign waivers for everything!!!! If we have to go back to Ironton...let’s do it! We can all bring pop up canopies and do the raffle, dinner and whatnot under them!

We don’t need insurance!!! And we will all sign waivers for everything!!!! If we have to go back to Ironton...let’s do it! We can all bring pop up canopies and do the raffle, dinner and whatnot under them!
Aaron is loads of fun and great to hang out with but I've witnessed some questionable decisions that didn't always turn out well. I'm not sure I would take advice regarding waivers and liability from him.

Hey, Aaron Are you going to be at the Bonfire Rendezvous bonfire Saturday afternoon/evening at Byrd's?

Hey, Aaron Are you going to be at the Bonfire Rendezvous bonfire Saturday afternoon/evening at Byrd's?
Are you talking about Rendezvous in the Ozarks this year? I do plan on attention for once since it’s in my backyard!

Aaron is loads of fun and great to hang out with but I've witnessed some questionable decisions that didn't always turn out well. I'm not sure I would take advice regarding waivers and liability from him.
You should see what happens when @ga12r1 @DirtDawg @atnolan94 and @Sargy are around to talk me into some REAL dumb stuff!

Sorry to see you have to do this. We appreciate everything you have done for us!

20210422_054857.jpg

Thanks to Chris, Stan and the HIH team for doing everything they can to try to make the event happen. We understand and support your tough decision. Lord willing, we'll all meet again in 15 months. 🤞

Last edited:
Thank you Stan and Chris (and your volunteer team) for trying to make it work. I can't imagine the energy that you've put into trying to make HIHX happen this year with all the uncertainty caused by the pandemic. I appreciate that you have high standards for this event and that you recognize what makes it special. I've said it a few times in this thread, but the best part of HIH isn't riding trails. My favorite memories of being at HIH 8 and 9 revolve around spending time with people outside of the vehicle - meeting the PA crew at 8 and camping with them at 9; Peter C. (from LV) bringing his kids to HIH8 and his daughter singing to my young daughters while playing ukelele; shooting the breeze with Aaron (from Summit) over whiskey; bringing my own bottles to the whiskey night last year and getting to share them with others; talking to other parents while Travis is showing a movie and making popcorn for the kids, etc.

When I moved to Denver 5 years ago, I sought out and purchased a 100 series cruiser specifically so we could participate in HIH and it's been one of my best purchases of all time. I know how special this event is to you both and want you to know how special it's become to a lot of us. Thanks for what you do. Lord willing we'll see you on the trail this summer and if not, we look forward to HIHX in 2022!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom