100 v. 470 as a vacation home truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team,

Longtime lurker and 200 owner in search of a car to keep at our beach house. I've recently started the search for a 100 or 470 and wanted to pick everyone's brain on the suitability of one of these trucks for intermittent use. We need 8 seatbelts and I want to keep this whole adventure affordable but I don't want to be stuck. We typically go 1-2 / month for long weekends, so it will be used regularly and not driven very far (sometimes I tow my boat 80 miles one way).

I've tried a search but couldn't find anything and would appreciate the wisdom of the crowd. Also, any reason to pick a LX 470 over the LC 100 for this particular mission? I was personally going to just pull the trigger on the first reasonable one I find but open to suggestions.

Also, if this is just a terrible idea in general and I should just buy a sequoia, let me know that ha ha

Whichever you choose/find LC or LX there's no difference.

Few tips for those not a daily driver.

Use 100 gasoline (non oxygenated (corn gas)) and add a fuel stabilizer.
Use a battery trickle charger.
Set up rodent deterrent system of some sort.

8 in a Hundy, hope the 3 in the back are tiny humans ;)

Lx differences are well documented here, 100 Series Newbie Guide - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/tech-zone/100-series-newbie-guide/

There were more LX's sold in the US, and will be easier to find one of these. The front end is a deal breaker for some, while others want a Hundy without AHC or the integrated hvac/radio.

Btw, a lx470 is a Hundy.

10-4

Yes, 4 of 8 would be tiny humans ... for now at least

Stock AHC might not be happy with 8 passengers and towing a boat (tongue weight). Consider supplementing with airbags or other mods.

Stock AHC might not be happy with 8 passengers and towing a boat (tongue weight). Consider supplementing with airbags or other mods.
Boat is a small skiff and we wouldn’t have 8 people in it when towing

Hope you have a garage to park it in - the sea air isn’t kind on these vehicles.

Sequoia is not a bad idea especially the 2nd gen with the 5.7. 100 series will be cooler and more fun to drive (IMO) but the Sequoia is going to be way more comfy for 8.

If you're indifferent between the two, the Sequoia will be more comfortable when all 8 are in the car and can be had for less money. I'd be tempted to go that route, but sometimes you just want another Land Cruiser and I can respect that.

You really cant go wrong with 100, LX or sequoia. I love my LX and have found that they're easier to find in good shape with service records (folks that buy a Lexus new tend to keep going back to the dealership. If 4wd is a priority then LC or LX might be the better option. If space is more important, a Sequoia would be best... I'd shop for what's available and see what deals are out there.

Doesn't sounds like you are planning to drive narrow off-road trails. If you do, the LX has one little feature that I've quickly grown to love.

1618147142984.png

Agreed with some above comments that 08+ Sequoia may fit your bill better than a 100.

I vote for the sequoia as well, especially if you are "on a budget." Sequoias are much more plentiful and you can find them with lower mileage for cheaper.

I had to read that twice on why not another 200. As a 100 & 200 owner I find myself towing with the year 2000 LC more often than the 200. Why... I wish I had the right answer, other than in the 100 I “feel” the trailer more thus I feel more in control - somebody chime in and tell me I’m crazy.

here is where this gets crazy/weird... late model 100’s are selling for about the same as a early model 200’s. I wouldn’t mind the mileage on either as long as you baseline either.
I don’t know the budget for this project so I no idea if you are looking for a 20 year old or 14 year old... there are differences to consider.

LC vs. LX, AHC is your major difference, but as long as it is working correctly on the one you buy, it should be of no concern. I think it would handle the boat NP.

sequoia, I mean, do the 6 little passengers care about being cool??? Jk, it’s all good; obviously they would be more comfortable... but I would be more comfortable with the previous ownership and service history of a 100 series in the 100k mile range than a sequoia.

The newer Sequoias are way easier to work on, cheaper, bigger interior, more power, and all the seals and suspension rubber will have a decade less time on it.

And the newer Sequoias don't have timing belts, don't need wheel bearing service every 30k, no clunking driveline, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom