100 series with 283,000mi, what should I offer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
hey all,
a family friend of mine is offering me his 2000 land cruiser with 283,000mi on it. I've had two 80's (one from him) and I'm not super familiar with the 100. What I'm trying to figure out is what would be a reasonable offer to him? and what is this truck realistically worth? And on top of that, is 283,000mi too high for one of these trucks? Is that about the life of the V8? Thanks for the info all!

2000 land cruiser
283,000mi
ac doesn't work
minor exhaust leak
minimal rust
paint clean
interior has typical wear (seat and shifter)
no rear locker

I paid $3700 for a 99 LX470 back in November with 291k miles at the time. Good service records, no rust, and needed a few things done but feel like i got a good deal

Realistically, I see that in the $7K range in the current market. @baddelman got a smoking deal on his and I am planning on bringing him to all my future vehicle negotiations! :)

You may find rigs that need nothing will reside near the top of your researched asking prices. A general rule of thumb is that it would take roughly that amount of money to get a lower priced rig to that level, purchase price and your expenses to achieve that goal included. On average, a $10k rig will take about $5k on top of the asking price to get it up to a $15k sale price rig. Most knowledgeable sellers know this going in, and price their merchandise accordingly.

Ramangain speaks the truth. If you get it for cheap, the rig itself is just the downpayment, and the payments are the upkeep and repairs to get it up to spec. All of the well kept ones that are in the upper price ranges are from more caring or talented owners that have kept it in spec the whole time. The lower priced ones will need $ going into it. Then theres the ones you avoid all together, the ones that are high priced and need a bit of upkeep.

I'm new to the 100 game and a former Jeep Head for many years. I did months of research before buying mine. Probably more research on a truck than I've ever done. The prices are all over the place so you really have to know what you're looking at when you walk up. Some sellers are riding the wave of the red hot market right now. If this guy is your friend you're at a good place to have an equitable negotiation. My seller tried to conceal things, I called him on them and he started dropping the price in a hurry. He didn't really know what he had. He just read some wheeling forums and bought it on impulse lol (college age young man no experience and over his head). He then realized it wasn't a jeep Cherokee and he was going to have to pay up or learn to wrench. Then he made a huge mistake in the negations... "did you know this thing takes over $50 to fill up? Tell you what son, I'll give you $4100 and we can call it a day." He bit and here I am... my point to this is he was asking too much, I know it would need a T belt and more so I took the opening and removed that 2k off the top. It's all about knowledge on both ends. Without seeing it and based on the mechanical description and maintenance - I'd say you are in the 5 to 6k range.

I'm new to the 100 game and a former Jeep Head for many years. I did months of research before buying mine. Probably more research on a truck than I've ever done. The prices are all over the place so you really have to know what you're looking at when you walk up. Some sellers are riding the wave of the red hot market right now. If this guy is your friend you're at a good place to have an equitable negotiation. My seller tried to conceal things, I called him on them and he started dropping the price in a hurry. He didn't really know what he had. He just read some wheeling forums and bought it on impulse lol (college age young man no experience and over his head). He then realized it wasn't a jeep Cherokee and he was going to have to pay up or learn to wrench. Then he made a huge mistake in the negations... "did you know this thing takes over $50 to fill up? Tell you what son, I'll give you $4100 and we can call it a day." He bit and here I am... my point to this is he was asking too much, I know it would need a T belt and more so I took the opening and removed that 2k off the top. It's all about knowledge on both ends. Without seeing it and based on the mechanical description and maintenance - I'd say you are in the 5 to 6k range.
Boy that is the truth. I am seeing prices kind of all over the place. Service records, rust, history plays such a huge factor.

Over $50 to fill !!! Lol iv just filled up with diesel at just over £100 that's about $137 according to Alexa!!!

Thanks all for the input! I decided to pass on it for myself. I did a lot of pondering and soul searching and it's just not the right combo of time, opportunity, finances, and truck. I just picked up a 2003 Ranger last week, I'm trying to redo my kitchen, I have a miata project currently, my 715 needs gears, and I'm getting married in two months so that all factors in. And honestly, the 283,000mi number makes me a tad nervous. It may not for the other guys, but my 80's that I had started having issues at 260. Thanks again for all the input and help! maybe one day I do an 100.

Thanks all for the input! I decided to pass on it for myself. I did a lot of pondering and soul searching and it's just not the right combo of time, opportunity, finances, and truck. I just picked up a 2003 Ranger last week, I'm trying to redo my kitchen, I have a miata project currently, my 715 needs gears, and I'm getting married in two months so that all factors in. And honestly, the 283,000mi number makes me a tad nervous. It may not for the other guys, but my 80's that I had started having issues at 260. Thanks again for all the input and help! maybe one day I do an 100.
Sounds like you made a wise choice. You have a lot going on. It takes a lot of energy and time and money to find the right 100. This is a good sign going into a marriage also. Much more important than overextending yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom