100 series modification for Looks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D110 are the pinnacle, to be sure, but also so overpriced over here for what you get in return.

If only I could take a safari into the forest where money grows on trees...

Yes, they are a bit pricey on this side of the "pond"!
Here's one built for a ranch down here in south Texas

SC23.jpg

The other day I saw a transport on the highway in TX with 3 white new looking 70 series pick-ups and wagons..Wonder where the hell they were going? Way cool!! Wish we could get those things over here... legally.
:cheers:

Defenders are nice. No lockers, but axle articulation sort of makes up for that. You have to go after-market for lockers.

Aside from rampant reliability and build-quality issues, the only real problem with the 110 is the aluminum body. Doesn't rust, but you cannot safely bolt anything to it (read: roof rack or sand ladders) without building a full exo cage.

My personal favorite expo vehicle, of course, is a Mercedes UNIMOG... :flipoff2:

Yeah, Uni's are pretty hard core. Big though, very large !! Almost bought a G-wagen back in the 80's from that place in Santa Fe. That was back in the "gray " market days. Only problem was that our MB dealer was pretty s***ty when we mentioned getting it serviced..So we waited until '87 or '88 and got a Rangie. I've liked my Rovers thus far. Like my Yoda as well. Been looking at a 110 up East but the rust prob has me running away. Damnit!!
:cheers:

I'd love to have a D90 that didn't cost a fortune and run it like a Jeep down here at the beach...

I'd take out everything and dunk it in bedliner inside and out and leave the top off all the time... keep in it in the garage and take it out on nice days...

But how can you consider that when a nice one runs $25-30K and will have 75-100k on the clock and, and, and...

Someday, I'll stumble onto one super cheap, and I'll steal it.

I'd love to have a D90 that didn't cost a fortune and run it like a Jeep down here at the beach...

I'd take out everything and dunk it in bedliner inside and out and leave the top off all the time... keep in it in the garage and take it out on nice days...

But how can you consider that when a nice one runs $25-30K and will have 75-100k on the clock and, and, and...

Someday, I'll stumble onto one super cheap, and I'll steal it.

Better yet get some really gaudy, bright, body wrap and cruise it around the beach. That should draw plenty of attention !!
:rolleyes:

I think he's ruined it with enough stickers already.

Do not forget the slee sticker otherwise you will look like a POSER!

true.

Dwon I'm not sure if this is the forum for you! You want alot of bling, but we are just here for the dirty mud.
I could go on and on but after reading all these threads.
I'm also a (signpainter-signwriter) and, lets just leave it at that.
Good luck in your LC!!

Last edited:
Dwon I'm not sure if this is the forum for you! You want alot of bling, but we are just here for the dirty mud.
I could go on and on but after reading all these threads.
I'm also a (signpainter-signwriter) and, lets just leave it at that.
Good luck in your LC!!

Who want's bling? Maybe you're reading the wrong post. I don't want bling. I want a capable vehicle. That 's what this post is about. Making a vehicle that has the expected looks of a safari vehicle: Bull bar, roof rack, lights.

What I've found out is that in order to install the bull bar and roof rack, you need to install the mod suspension which is no longer for looks, but for off road.

Let me ask you a question: How often do you get paid to take people off road into the beautiful outdoor for days at a time? This is what I do for a living. If you have anything to add from the point of view of someone who drives off road for a living, I'm all ears.

If this was the wrong forum for me, why are there 7 pages of posts? I drive off road for a living, I just wanted to share my experience in a build and got nothing but grief from people bashing my advertising on my rig.

You know what they say about people with nothing nice to say: They've got little tiny... self esteems.

Whaa !
dry your tears--Man up brother.

Whatever. I'm not the one whining about how my car doesn't fit into the forum.

Don't flip sheet if you can't take it.:cool:

I'm keeping this all in good fun. Some guys have nothing to add to the post except angry remarks that have nothing to do with helping others looking to do similar builds as mine, regardless of my vehicle wrap (which has nothing to do with the build). What's happening is the post is being derailed from what it started out to accomplish: help LC 100 owners who want to add on a bull bar and roof rack w/ lights decide if they need the added suspension (which they do).

I could care less about the obnoxious posts, except that they only serve to dilute the build. Either way it's just chatter. If you cared enough to write your "Whaa!" post, you're obviously need to get out and drive more.

3 pages of evolution of what was once a refined and understated truck into an atrocious cheese-pot. And an additional 4 defending his tastes. :rolleyes:

His website pretty much sums it all up.

3 pages of evolution of what was once a refined and understated truck into an atrocious cheese-pot. And an additional 4 defending his tastes. :rolleyes:

His website pretty much sums it all up.

Wow now your bashing my web site. You must really really have a tiny little self esteem.

Last edited:
This weekend we went to the dunes. The ride was smooth with no nose dive, no swaying. Excellent ride. I'd reccommend OME Tbars & Firm Valve shocks to anyone!!!

Here's some pics from the dunes.
web2[1].jpg
web[1].jpg

Did you make your clients wear pith helmets for that really cool safari look?

Dude -

I think most of us understand why you're building it the way you are, there is no miscommunication here. We just hate seeing such a capable truck being "gussied up." Again, remember where you are. This forum, and the people who frequent it, for the most part is/are all about functionality, not looks. I think I mentioned before, there are other forums for that purpose (e.g. clublexus.com). So here's to your build and more power to you, but just keep in mind your intended audience. It's not rocket science as to why you're getting the reaction you're getting.

Also, your build is not unique (except for the wrapper). If you had used the search function, you would have found plenty of old threads about weight and suspension choices. So I don't quite see the value-add here.

BTW, as to your now intended purpose of actually using the truck, regardless of what wrapper you have over the paint, I quote from your very first post in this thread:

"Mine is for looks and transporting students to and from scenic photography viewpoints. Two totally different purposes. Looks (mine) vs. utility (his)."

`Nuff said! :cheers:

Also, your build is not unique (except for the wrapper). If you had used the search function, you would have found plenty of old threads about weight and suspension choices. So I don't quite see the value-add here.

I searched and found different posts about add on mods like this one, but none of them answered questions about whether you need suspension mod if you're adding just a bull bar. None of the posts covered installing an ARB roof rack with lights in a 100 LC. When I started this post I got several replies from guys wanting to add these things but didn't want the suspension and they too couldn't find straight answers to this question. That's why I started this post.

None of them stated that one person with little auto-mechanical ability can install all these items by themselves using only the crank jack that comes with the LC.

I've answered these questions:
Yes. you need the mod suspension if you want a bull bar.
Yes. you can install all this stuff yourself without help.
Yes. it takes a long long time to install the wiring for the roof rack lights!

And if people didn't find the post of interest there wouldn't be 7 pages and you wouldn't have bothered writing!

I searched and found different posts about add on mods like this one, but none of them answered questions about whether you need suspension mod if you're adding just a bull bar. None of the posts covered installing an ARB roof rack with lights in a 100 LC. When I started this post I got several replies from guys wanting to add these things but didn't want the suspension and they too couldn't find straight answers to this question. That's why I started this post.

None of them stated that one person with little auto-mechanical ability can install all these items by themselves using only the crank jack that comes with the LC.

I've answered these questions:
Yes. you need the mod suspension if you want a bull bar.
Yes. you can install all this stuff yourself without help.
Yes. it takes a long long time to install the wiring for the roof rack lights!

And if people didn't find the post of interest there wouldn't be 7 pages and you wouldn't have bothered writing!

is this a rhetorical question, or are you continueing on your bi-atch rant? (that was rhetorical--not need to bless us with your self questioning answer)

The "interest" in this thread had pretty much ZERO to do with suspension vs. ARB bullbar mods. You'll notice that most of these responses did not mention the suspension question, but rather were trying to persuade a wayward brother that he was desecrating his truck... :rolleyes:

Don't ya just love dumb-ass Newbies? :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom