'07 fender flares - can you remove? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at an '07 LC to purchase - it is equipped with some plastic fender, or wheel arch trim peices that look like they integrate into the rest of the side panel trim on the car. I don't see this on every 100 series I look at, so I'm wondering is this some kind of factory option that can easily be removed, as I'm not a big fan of plastic cladding on wheel arches?, Or is it so integrated with the rest of the body trim that you'd wind up with something that looks worse with the trim off?

Thanks
T

Yes, they can be removed. I would peel back the flares carefully and inspect the paint where the seal sits, as it generally rubs through the clear coat/paint. The flares are notorious for rubbing the paint off the back door as well (where the flare hits the body when closing the door).

It's a pain in the a** I wound up using a razor to get the some of the foam residue off

Removed mine and found only one rub spot. The adhesive was another story. After cleaning off the crud and most adhesive, there was a fine line all the way around each fender. Used a clay bar and rubbed for a very long time but got it off. You can still see a slight line but you have to look real hard and most can't find them anyway.

Sold the flares to someone here. Glad they're off and it was a major improvement in appearance.

Good deal

S.E. Toyota added them to every LC. Those guys should have their asses kicked for that. I have an '06 - bought it in 2011 and removed immediately. They weren't hard to removed... but they did leave faint outlines - after buffing.

Last edited:
S.E. Toyota added them to every LC. Those guys should have their asses kicked for that. I have an '04 - bought it in 2011 and removed immediately. They weren't hard to removed... but they did leave faint outlines - after buffing.
Mine collected sand and pretty much sanded the car in some spots. But I pick up a tick with some 3000 grit wet sanding sandpaper and wax and polish
Use wax instead of water but be careful

Are the flares on the rear doors just held on by adhesive? I see bolts for the wheel wells, but doors seems different.

I see the clips now.

I recently purchased a 2000 LC with the "fender flares" . im trying to decide if i should remove them. I see several posts of the plus's and maybe difficulties, but does it look better without them?
20191220_141713.jpg
s about the general look

...but does it look better without them?
That's entirely up to your eye, but yes, yes they do.
Joking aside, if it doesn't bother you and makes it feel more like an 80-series in your mind then leave them, much easier that way since no effort is involved. If you want to remove them grab one of the rubber eraser wheels to get the foam residue off.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.29.06 PM.png

No holes to fill. The only body (paint) work would be touching up the scratches that are now under the flares. There will be scratches.

Is there bodywork that has to be done when they are removed? Somebody mentioned Bondo in the rivet holes.
This only comes in to play I believe on the LX if you were to remove the additional factory cladding that the LC doesn't have.

I would be interested in purchasing a set of these if they were removed undamaged, I would prefer gray but tan could work too.

Ok I just took mine off. They are in perfect condition. Here are the before and after pics. Color code is C14 . I believe they call is "grayish beige metallic". Make me an offer.

20200329_140430_HDR.jpg

20200329_123636_HDR.jpg

20200329_132813_HDR.jpg

20200329_140422_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom