'05-'07 Sequoia vs. 80? Thinking about jumping ship... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 80 series that I'm quickly falling out of love with and am weighing my options for something a bit newer and more befitting of what I really use it for.

It would be an occasional pavment and mostly weekend trail/ overlanding rig in the summer, and would be my dd in the winter. The trails I run aren't very technical and have been done by guys in full size American trucks no problem.

I drove an '05 yesterday and liked it, but I only drove it for about 15 minutes without any off roading. The size over an 80 wouldn't be an issue with where I go, but since I'm not going to take a rig I haven't paid for on a trail, how do they do? I know it's a fairly ambiguous and open ended question, but if any of you have had experience with a Sequoia and with either an 80 or a 100, I'm curious about how they compare. I already know the mechanical differences and similarities; I'm looking more for how they behave and handle.

I see a lot of folks run 33s, but will a 35" tire (or 315, if you prefer metric) fit in the wheel well with the stock bump stops? I think I saw Pilot say in his SAS thread that 37s fit...?

Does anyone run 16" wheels, and would they fit around the brakes? I ask only because I prefer as much sidewall as possible.

So... either talk me in to selling my 80 and getting a Tree, or talk me in to keeping my 80 and continuing to fire the parts cannon at it on a nearly weekly basis. Thanks guys, I look forward to the replies.

80 and Sequoia owner here. The Sequoia offers more room, but the few dirt roads I have taken mine leave much to be desired. If you don't need the space, but are being wrenched out of the 80, look at a 100. All the get up and go, improved comfort, but better stance in my opinion. We are keeping our Sequoia as long as the kids are in car seats, then start the search for a 100/200.

How does it leave much to be desired? I started wheeling about 15 years ago with an IFS Tacoma, so I'm very well aware of the limitations IFS has, and from what I could tell at the used car lot, the front end of the 100 parked next to the Sequoia I drove didn't look that different. I'm sure there's different part numbers between the two and that the 100 IFS is likely more durable, but as far as function goes, how much worse could the Sequoia be vs. the 100?

I don't need the space, but it would be a welcome upgrade over the 80 or 100.

How does it leave much to be desired? I started wheeling about 15 years ago with an IFS Tacoma, so I'm very well aware of the limitations IFS has, and from what I could tell at the used car lot, the front end of the 100 parked next to the Sequoia I drove didn't look that different. I'm sure there's different part numbers between the two and that the 100 IFS is likely more durable, but as far as function goes, how much worse could the Sequoia be vs. the 100?

I don't need the space, but it would be a welcome upgrade over the 80 or 100.
Mainly body roll from the size. Suspension upgrades/refresh would probably cure it though. We haven't done anything to push the IFS to its limit yet.

Depends on the offset of the wheels and how much cutting you're willing todo. With my -6 offset and 2.5" lift im able to run 285/17/70 with only minor rubbing in the front at full lockout and no wheel spacers. I've seen people run 35s with spacers, cutting, or running a aftermarket front bumper to allow more room...

I love my '07 -- my build thread is here

Mainly body roll from the size. Suspension upgrades/refresh would probably cure it though. We haven't done anything to push the IFS to its limit yet.

Good to know! I don't run sway bars on my 80 with a Dobinsons 2.5" tapered lift amd there's quite a bit of body roll on the street, but it's within my comfort zone and I drive accordingly. I like to keep the weight low on my rigs, so no spare on the roof or roof top tents for me, and I find it quite a bit more stable on the trail without sway bars as the body doesn't want to follow the suspension travel as much and tends to stay more upright over uneven terrain. I'd be willing to guess that the reduced travel of the IFS would keep the body roll somewhat more in check and would be more than manageable compared to what I'm used to.

@greenmonster07 That is a beautiful color combo. Very British! Sounds to me that 80 series wheels might work because they're -5 offset if memory serves, and I believe the 80 and Sequoia brakes are about the same size. I guess I'll have to see about that if I decide to get a Sequoia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom