‘02 wheel hub nightmare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I’m embarrassed to say that I have replaced the same bearing 3 times now. Two different machine shops have pressed the new bearing and spindle into that. All three were broken and chewed up within a mile. I’m at wit’s end.
Is there a special way of pressing these in? Do you have to freeze/heat the bearing/steering hub?
Please advise. I’m sick of this.

I've heard the pressed in bearings are a total PITA, and easy to mess up... I do a lot of my own work on my trucks, but, I had my buddy Evan - @fj55-100 press in the bearings and manual hubs on my old 2003 Tacoma. (He runs a repair shop locally--I'm spoiled.) Perhaps he's got an idea on why the bearings keep getting messed up? --if you're doing it yourself, might think about taking it to a shop that's good with these trucks. There's definitely a technique to it--you have to support the bearing correctly when you do it, i do know that.

Last edited:
So, I’m embarrassed to say that I have replaced the same bearing 3 times now. Two different machine shops have pressed the new bearing and spindle into that. All three were broken and chewed up within a mile. I’m at wit’s end.
Is there a special way of pressing these in? Do you have to freeze/heat the bearing/steering hub?
Please advise. I’m sick of this.

Do you have ABS?

I may have an answer then. I broke a knuckle on my non ABS and ended up getting a knuckle from the junk yard. It was an ABS knuckle and had a sensor and speed ring inside that the sensor reads. I did not need this to function and I wanted a new bearing installed. I carried it to the local NAPA and bought their expensive Timken bearing and had their shop put it in. I took it home and install the knuckle. Got about 1/2 mile down the road and it's wobbling all over the road. Took it home and the wheel is flopping. Took it back off and back to NAPA and after a heated discussion they put a new bearing in. Take it home and reinstall it and it is doing the same thing again. Go back and lose my isht on them. I spot the shop guy and go harass him and he starts crawfishing. I ask him to show me the old knuckle and when he does there is the speed ring laying there. In the pile is a small spacer the same as the speed ring minus the ring. He explains where these came from and I ask why he did not put them in and I'm fuming at this point. I gather up everything and take it home. I install the speed ring on my garage floor with a 2x12, 2# shop hammer, and some random stuff to drive the races with. Probably close to 70,000 miles later and still rolling. The bearing was tight enough I couldn't wiggle it by hand even with the wheel mounted and no ring.

So, long story short, make sure there is a little spacer ring in there. Shop guy knew I didn't technically need the speed ring but neglected to realize I still needed the little spacer ring since it was an ABS knuckle. I've since bought my own small press for jobs like this. Hope this helps.

knuckle.JPG

Edit: you can put the ring in from the back because, if I remember correctly, that's what the CV axle butts up on.

Last edited:
I may have an answer then. I broke a knuckle on my non ABS and ended up getting a knuckle from the junk yard. It was an ABS knuckle and had a sensor and speed ring inside that the sensor reads. I did not need this to function and I wanted a new bearing installed. I carried it to the local NAPA and bought their expensive Timken bearing and had their shop put it in. I took it home and install the knuckle. Got about 1/2 mile down the road and it's wobbling all over the road. Took it home and the wheel is flopping. Took it back off and back to NAPA and after a heated discussion they put a new bearing in. Take it home and reinstall it and it is doing the same thing again. Go back and lose my isht on them. I spot the shop guy and go harass him and he starts crawfishing. I ask him to show me the old knuckle and when he does there is the speed ring laying there. In the pile is a small spacer the same as the speed ring minus the ring. He explains where these came from and I ask why he did not put them in and I'm fuming at this point. I gather up everything and take it home. I install the speed ring on my garage floor with a 2x12, 2# shop hammer, and some random stuff to drive the races with. Probably close to 70,000 miles later and still rolling. The bearing was tight enough I couldn't wiggle it by hand even with the wheel mounted and no ring.

So, long story short, make sure there is a little spacer ring in there. Shop guy knew I didn't technically need the speed ring but neglected to realize I still needed the little spacer ring since it was an ABS knuckle. I've since bought my own small press for jobs like this. Hope this helps.

View attachment 2520060

Edit: you can put the ring in from the back because, if I remember correctly, that's what the CV axle butts up on.

[

Holy s***, I think that you’re right. Problem is that I don’t have that spacer now. What’s the part number?

View attachment 2520060

That is some awesome tech. That spacer could be easily missed and would def cause issues if it is missed.

90560-52001 is the spacer part number. Same part number for both sides and fits ADD or manual hubs *without* ABS.

Forgot to mention I have ADD hubs but the diagram should give that away. I downloaded a zip file with all the exploded diagrams and torque specs but no part numbers. I used to be able to go to my local stealership with a printed copy and circle what I need but now that it's a 20yo truck they usually don't have what I need and act like they cant get it.

Its definitely harder and harder to find some stuff for older Toyotas at local dealers and local parts houses. I've all but given up on them and source my stuff almost entirely online. For drivetrain parts, lots of it can cross-over to other Toyota trucks and Cruisers, so I'll check with my homies at Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiserteq.com and www.cruiseroutfitters.com) and see if they stock it or can get it. But pretty much everything else, I go straight to searching online. I haven't run into too many parts that I've had an issue finding for my 1G Tacomas and 3G 4Runners over the years (other than the brass rings that go on the hub bodies for the 1G Tacoma manual hubs--but those were never available separate from the hub body from Toyota anyway) and I have bought a lot of parts over the years. Anything for the 1st Gen Tacoma that crosses over to the 4Runner/Hilux Surf usually is readily available overseas too if you cant find it in North America.

I have seen where folks were saying some of the interior parts were getting harder to find new. Oh, and of course, the older remote entry/alarm systems have basically been unobtanium for ~10 years now (back in 2013, I sourced the very last remote entry system ECU in the country for my 2001 Tacoma DCSB (at least thats what the Shaman told me at the time :D ))

But ya, it sometimes takes a good bit of effort to track down part numbers for some of this stuff. I'm no part number guru like CruiserDan or Beno... but I've been tracking down parts for Cruisers and Toyota 4x4s for quite a few years now (even got kinda paid for doing it for a bit at one point) ... lol But I seriously love combing through the parts diagrams looking for part numbers for cool OEM option stuff that I need to add to my trucks. :D

Last edited:
Its definitely harder and harder to find some stuff for older Toyotas at local dealers and local parts houses. I've all but given up on them and source my stuff almost entirely online. For drivetrain parts, lots of it can cross-over to other Toyota trucks and Cruisers, so I'll check with my homies at Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiserteq.com and www.cruiseroutfitters.com) and see if they stock it or can get it. But pretty much everything else, I go straight to searching online. I haven't run into too many parts that I've had an issue finding for my 1G Tacomas and 3G 4Runners over the years (other than the brass rings that go on the hub bodies for the manual hubs--but those were never available separate from the hub body from Toyota anyway) and I have bought a lot of parts over the years. Anything for the 1st Gen Tacoma that crosses over to the 4Runner/Hilux Surf usually is readily available overseas too if you cant find it in North America.

I have seen where folks were saying some of the interior parts were getting harder to find new. Oh, and of course, the older remote entry/alarm systems have basically been unobtanium for ~10 years now (back in 2013, I sourced the very last remote entry system ECU in the country for my 2001 Tacoma DCSB (at least thats what the Shaman told me at the time :D ))

But ya, it sometimes takes a good bit of effort to track down part numbers for some of this stuff. I'm no part number guru like CruiserDan or Beno... but I've been tracking down parts for Cruisers and Toyota 4x4s for quite a few years now (even got kinda paid for doing it for a bit at one point) ... lol But I seriously love combing through the parts diagrams looking for part numbers for cool OEM option stuff that I need to add to my trucks. :D

I appreciate all the help. I found it online and will hopefully get this done one last time. I’m definitely a pro with the whole front end now.

Just throwing this out there. This last strut/shock change out I used Tundra struts and they have a lot beefier lower mount. The lengths and shock bodies are basically the same but I'm not sure on the valving. I'm lifted with a plate bumper and winch so I have a little more on the front end but it, allbeit placebo, feels a lot better. I used the longer Tundra rear brake line after the lift also. A little research can find you some OEM parts that fit for different applications.

The last straw for me at the stealership was when I stripped a front diff bolt head. Parts desk told me 2-3 months. When I pressed why he smirked and said it would have to come from Japan and wouldn't be cheap either. Triggered now, I explain that Toyota has a dealership in every major town in America that is under the same corporate umbrella. Just put the word out what you need and get it. He was unamused and got testy. I then said that I would do the legwork and locate one, purchase it over the phone and have them mail it to me and have it by the weekend. He then pushed the keyboard away like a little kid and folded his arms. Well, guess I'll never grace the door of this place again. I went to this awesome hardware store on the far side of town that stocks nearly every bolt known to man and bought a sack of grade 10 the same size and with a hex head. Had my locker installed by the next afternoon.

But.....I did go back a year ago. I had to get my head rebuilt and I broke all 4 injector cups. In a pinch I called and they apparently learned a lesson and said they could get a set from the next town over. Well, I be damned. I asked for 5 just in case and they got me what I wanted. I didn't break any and if I ever pull the head again I will have a set made from stainless steel at my local machine shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom