01 Tacoma DD gets the OME treatment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After Lots and Lots of reading on all Forums decided on the OME kit from Wheelers Off Road. My DD has needed some help for a while but was putting time and money into my 40. Has 120K and was still running all the original equip. and was starting to show it.
5173612284_7e1e1dc8cf_z.jpg

Got 881 Coils, and the Dakar leaf pack. Also got the 6XL AAL for the added weight of the topper and bed kit. Read a little that the Dakar springs don't handle additional weight very well and sag quickly.
The AAL install was a bit of a headache, the center pin bolt hole is too small for the bolt. Destroyed 2, 3/8" drill bits getting through the leaf. It installs as the 3rd leaf from the top of the pack also.
5173008985_1c3c6a1df9_z.jpg

Old Springs vs New w/ AAL installed in pack
5173613494_e0a7806054_z.jpg

One issue is the exhaust hanger extension provided did not give enough room between the spring and tail pipe. I assume due to the additional lift with the AAL? Thinking about just cutting the tail pipe for now? :bang:
5173009563_d816344d8c_z.jpg

This was my first attempt at the install and it went pretty well, 3 days worth of laying on the garage floor. Also managed to do my first CV replacement while I was under there. Ih8mud and Tacomaterritory have been a great resource for me. With this and the 40.
5173614150_94ac7a0c4d_z.jpg

Finished product. A little tail high but hoping it settles a little. Makes the 265/75 look a bit small.

Now back to finishing this one
4672017531_4c8f734edf_b.jpg

I had the same issue with my OME on my 97 standard cab - the high rake that is. I blazed through your post quickly so forgive if you already mentioned - but did you get the medium or stiff springs? The stiff springs are quite hesitant to settle in until you start running some heavy loads. In my case since I knew I was going to be running camping gear, biking gear and a spare tire carrier on the back it would be worth the investment. It's actually amusing to see your before and after pics. It almost looks at though your truck was suffering from the typical 4Runner saggy britches. Nice improvement - nice rides. Really like the FJ.

BTW, had same issues as you with my exhaust hanger. It grunts when I turn left, which tells me it's rubbing the exhaust. I'm planning to upgrade to some form of cat back exhaust at some point, so I'm living with the wear and grunts for now.

Let me know if you find your OME set up to be "squeaky". I have a lot of speed humps in my neighborhood, and I squeak and squawk over each and every one of them. My fiance looks at me and says, "I thought you said this was an upgrade??"

If I can figure out a way to grease these things without ruining them I'd get a lot less grief at home. :)

...If I can figure out a way to grease these things without ruining them I'd get a lot less grief at home. :)

Have you greased the spring clip liners? The little yellow discs between the ends of the leafs are greasable from the bottom. Between that and greasing the shackles (not overgreasing) keeps things pretty quiet most of the time.

I'll have a look at that. But for my dimwittedness and complete reliance upon illustrations, pictures, drawings and flow charts, can you post up a pic showing me exactly where you mean? I don't want to get caught greasing the wrong thing.

Thx!

I'll have a look at that. But for my dimwittedness and complete reliance upon illustrations, pictures, drawings and flow charts, can you post up a pic showing me exactly where you mean? I don't want to get caught greasing the wrong thing.

Thx!

Doh, I didn't mean to call them the clip liners, those are the replaceable plastic pieces on the sides of the clamps. It will be extremely explanatory if you lay on your back looking up at the bottom of your leaf packs. At the end of each leaf there is a hole with a yellow piece of plastic clipped through. Put the grease in the hole :D

You need to grease the inter leaf liners, shown here:
OME_Spring_Detail_1999 (Medium).jpg

Awesome diagram! I'll be sure and crawl under my truck when it's not freezing out and have a gander. To round out the discussion, what kind of grease would I use? I have a grease gun, which certainly helps.

Thanks.

Steven, usually you'll want moly grease for the OME stuff...

Gracias! I'll get some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom