Partially shaved FF rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.camotoy.com
decided that I was tired of having my drain plug loosening up on trails (on my toy truck) So, on my FJ40 build, I figured I would do a partially shave my FF Fj40 axle.
Looking at the axle I pondered how the hell I was going to get rid of that ring and drain plug. (Yea, brain wasn’t working well that day) but then it hit me, use a hole saw. I just happened to have a perfect hole saw for the job. So I cut the plug out.
shave.JPG

shave1.JPG

Then I used the same hole saw and drilled a hole in some 1/4" plate steel i had to make the plug (I didn’t have a larger hole saw so this is what I used.

Having a smaller size plug worked perfect. It had a nice 1/16" gap all around which was a perfect amount for my welder to weld (I have a miller 110v unit, and it doesn’t like welding too thick of metal, so this was my way of "v grooving" the plug.

shave2.JPG

Then I fully welded the plug. Once it was welded, I welded up the hole, and then welded up the inside of the plug too (inside the housing).

shave3.JPG

Once done, I ground the welds all flush.
shave4.JPG

And a nice profile shot. No more loosening up drain plugs. :D
shave5.JPG

so, wacha think? :D

Shane

you drain it by removing the bottom stud. its slow, but it works. and i will have to get back to you on the size. (its at my rental garage)

Looks good. I'm doing the same for my axles. I've seen some elaborate shaved Toyota housings... but I really don't think all the time involved is worth the clearance gained. Simply shaving the drain plug is the way to go IMO. Not much time/effort involved and the gain is a smooth axle and knowing you won't leave your gear oil somewhere on the trail.

exactly. i have never had an issue that i felt i needed to shave the whole bottom. just that little damn drain plug gard :D

oh, and are you the same scott wilson from the old toy4x4 email list? back when geiger, you and a few other guys were on there. (have been around awile and remember your name)

Yup, that was me. I've haven't been very active on the web in the last 4 years... but this summer I'm active on the forums again.

Thanks for the note, glad to see a few of the guys from the old LCML and toy4x4 list are still around. Hope to see you on the trails next year... I'm determined to have my FJ40 on the trail next season.

yea, was looking at your build just now and its looking damn good. keep it updated :D

Shane

nope, i havent forgoten, just busy this weekend. had to work, then went mt biking :D :D

Shane

That last picture perpetuates your shaving illusion very well….

Looks like i used a 2 1/8" hole saw. this one just fit over the stock ring.
Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom