? of the Day, cross bar for 4-point (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
Hello all, I am doing bit of work on my FJ40 and I am installing 4 point harnesses. I was going to weld in a cross bar to the roll cage's center hoop and I am tossing around a few ways of doing this and I would like your suggestion.

1: Just weld it directly to the cage
2: Weld on a flat piece of steel to both ends of the cross bar and then use u-bolts to attach it to the existing cage so that it can be removable.
(basically make a T on its side with U-bolt going through the center hoop and attaching to the top of the T)
im5o41.jpg

Would option 2 be safe enough or should I just weld it right to the existing cage?

Mine is welded right to the cage.

When I build another cage, it will be the same.

Good luck!

-Steve

If you weld it in to a cage that bolts in the factory holes when you need to remove it next time there will be no flex in the crossbar to allow this. If you havent welded up a front cage this is not an issue but personally I hate trying to fight a full cage out of a truck and this method seems to help this instance. The way I do harness bar is mount two tubes about 10'' long on the crossbar with the ID of the bars OD at the appropriate height and weld only one side of the bar to the welded tube sections thus allowing it to slip in the other side. I leave about an inch of space in my measurements to make sure the bar is fully in both tubes. Then weld on some tabs with nuts welded on them, make sure you weld the nuts on front seat side if you have rear jump seats as they will come close to the main harness bar.

Goodluck

bobby@cruiserco said:
If you weld it in to a cage that bolts in the factory holes when you need to remove it next time there will be no flex in the crossbar to allow this. If you havent welded up a front cage this is not an issue but personally I hate trying to fight a full cage out of a truck and this method seems to help this instance.

I installed my 7-point roll cage several years ago, and have found no reason to ever remove it. That said, fish mouth the ends of the cross tube, and weld it between the two uprights. ;)

Vortec_Cruiser said:
I installed my 7-point roll cage several years ago, and have found no reason to ever remove it. That said, fish mouth the ends of the cross tube, and weld it between the two uprights. ;)

I am just going to weld it in. The only reason I wanted it to possibly be removable was for if I had a back seat at some point and I didn't want it to bother the rear rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom