opinion: Ford Shock Towers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a ok - good - great mod?

I am thinking of doing it this week end as I try to finish up my project. I like the idea of longer shocks, but want to make sure it is a good thing. Those of you who have do it - would you do it again? would you suggest it? What are the pros & cons? I need your input. I plan on gettin gthem first thing in the morning.

Greg

you get this for $20!! yep, i'm doing it again.
ford tower 2.JPG

what the ford part number or what year truck do they come off of

Yep, I would do it again. Only con is cutting the inside of the fender splash gaurd to make them fit. Pro, they bolt up to stock holes in the frame ;p

part number is E5TZ-18183-A I got a quote today of 13.50 each.

I heard you can cut and modify them to be a little straighter so you don't have to cut the fenders....anyon edo this and is that ok? I was thniking of modifying them so they also bolt to the top of the frame like the stock ones by welding on a peice of angle iron.

treerootCO said:
I run 'em...I like 'em (except it takes a little work to grind off the Ford logo :flipoff2: )
how much work to put a toy logo on em? :)

He He He!!!!!!

I GOT MINE FOR $8.00 EACH

its good to work in the parts biz ;)
sometimes :cool:

snailwagon said:
Depends on what you are doing for a steering box since stock it mounts to the shock tower.

Huh? Stock steering box mounts to the shock tower? I don't understand.

As far as Ford towers go. There is also a PN with four bolts to hold it to the frame. Came on F250 HD pickups, maybe '94-'97 or something. I don't know if the additional fasteners are a real benefit or not.

any advantage over runnin shock hoops other than cost and ease of installation?

malphrus

So you can just bolt the Ford shock towers on, or should they be welded to the frame?

The install with bolts only and no added way to mount the Ford tower over the top of the frame looks weak to me. Has anyone broke theirs? Seems like the side loads would make short work of a two bolt one plane mounting. Or does the shock rubber have the ability to flex enough to keep things from coming loose?

Pablo, your weld looks, umm...strong enough :). Still using a stick welder?

lowenbrau said:
Huh? Stock steering box mounts to the shock tower? I don't understand.

As far as Ford towers go. There is also a PN with four bolts to hold it to the frame. Came on F250 HD pickups, maybe '94-'97 or something. I don't know if the additional fasteners are a real benefit or not.

Oh. Just seeing this and thinking that the four bolt part might be the way to go. Got a part number by any chance?

(BTW, F55 steering box mount incorporates the l/h shock mount. ONLY the F55 model)

I did the same as treeroot 2 1/2 grade 8 bolts. I used 3.5"long and went through the frame to add strength. I then also used large grade 8 washers on both sides. They are solid I don't see them going anywhere.

The truck they were off of is an 88 F250 - if a 3/4ton truck used two bolts I am sure you are ok in the cruiser.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom