Lug nut help for 93 style wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ahh, crap. Got the BFG's mounted up on the spare wheels for a bit of fun today and I forgot they have the shank style lug nuts.

Anyways, can I run down to autozone and pick these up? Any idea the diameter and pitch? Any toyota shank style work?

Dimensions would be much appreciated!

Seperate question, didn't the 93-94 style wheels have black windows? The spares I picked up did not.

If you have a shank style wheel it is post 1994.

O.k. now I'm really confused. The 97 lexus wheels I have are acorn style. The other set does have the shanks and washer style lug.

I don't know about Lexus wheels. I went through something like this a few months ago. I ordered some spare steel Toyota wheels for a 1994 LC from CDan. They arrived and I had tires placed on them and was told ,"You have a problem, the new wheels are acorns and the old ones are Shanks." Talked with CDan and apparently my "original" wheels are not original. My impression talking with him was that a change was made in 1995 to shanks and my "originals" where replacements.

slambson said:
O.k. now I'm really confused. The 97 lexus wheels I have are acorn style. The other set does have the shanks and washer style lug.

Conical seats are found in original 91-94 alloy wheels and of course all steel wheels. Washer type alloys begin in January 1995 production. Wheels with the darker grey "windows" were fitted to "97 40th's and to '97 Collectors but are otherwse identical to the standard 95-97 alloy wheel.

Dan,

Kidding aside, I think we are fortunate to have somebody as knowledgeable as you on the board.

Richard

96 LX wheels are washer style, I would think the 97's are also.

Correct Raven, all 450's are shank/washer type attachment.

Thank you Richard.

Junk yard good source for lug nuts?

I looked over the Lexus style wheels. They don't say Toyota on them anywhere although the rest of the markings appear the same. They are definately the conical acorn style thus my dilema. They have the groove on spoke with grey "windows". Center caps are toyota silver ones on the toyota symbol although they have been repainted. I'll see if I can snap a picture tomorrow.

Autozone was useless in located some shank style nuts. Checker had just enough 12 X 1.5 on the shelf but totalled over $60. I'll hit the junk yard tomorrow.

Anyone know if I can steal these off a different toyota/Mitsubishi vehicle?

Are you sure those 97 LX wheels are originals? My 96 LX450 wheels have the word "Toyota" cast into the window portion and as Dan said like my 96 the 97 should have shank/washer not conical. Something here is not lining up.

You can get the identical shank style of other Toyota trucks, I nabbed one from a buddies stockpile from his Tacoma. Not sure about the conical.

Slambson,

The PO's of both our vehicles changed things around a bit and have made life a little more complex. Thankfully, we both found out about it before it became a major problem. Now I just have to keep from losing the set not on the cruiser.

:D

I only got one picture with the flash on before the battery died. Second one is a bit sad without the flash. Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow if it helps anyone.

LCwheel.jpg

lugs.jpg

Local dealer wanted $6.99 a lug. Ouch :crybaby:

That is an aftermarket knock-off of the OEM Lexus wheel.

Here are two photos of an OEM wheel and it's markings. This is a 93-94 wheel and you can clearly see the hardened steel inserts in the aluminum. The cheap aftermarket wheels do not have this.
wheel 001.jpg
wheel 002.jpg

as far as I know the lined spoke were an LX only thing but besides the conical lug nuts something odd about that wheel, first the piant is much lighter than mine but that could be the picture or maybe the window paint came in diffrent colors nothing definitve there.

but I looked on Ebay at a 97 and like my 96 it has words cast into 3 of the "windows" on mine one says Toyota the other 16x8JJ_______0 the other looks like a lettered logo and then the same logo with a varyation again in the same window, you can just barly make them out in this picture:

64_4.JPG

I don’t see any words cast into the windows of yours (might be the picture) they should be in the 3 windows in the left of your picture,

Reproduction wheels? If so then why the lug nut change?

Edit: to slow Dan got it :doh:

Still a good comparrison photo in order to assist in spotting fakes.

D-

scott so if i read this right the new toyota alloys you got were shank style? From the ebay photo they looked identical to the ones on my 93 (which are acorn) except for the solid silver centrecaps and they had the same marking in the three windows that raventai describes. seems you have 95-97 toyota rims and lexus knock offs. could be worse.

Those knockoffs are likely considerably weaker than the factory wheels. The factory Lexus/Toyota 80 series wheels are forged aluminum, where most aftermarket alloys are cast or pressure cast - much weaker.

DougM

semlin said:
seems you have 95-97 toyota rims and lexus knock offs. could be worse.

Yep, dead on.

When I get them pulled off I'll take some backside photos. I crawled underneath last night and there are some casting marks on the backside. "16 X 8 0JJ" which would be similar to what is cast in the 'windows' of my other wheels. Also, 'PRIME', which I am assuming is Prime wheels a cheaper brand as I recall. The backside were fairly smooth and I did not see any casting ridges but they may have done a fairly decent job cleaning up the backside.

Dan, So did the early conical seat wheels also have a hardened insert?

Tha JLL logo is on alot of japanese wheels including my Mitsu. Most were not forged in my experience.

slambson said:
Dan, So did the early conical seat wheels also have a hardened insert?

If you are refering to the 91-92 alloy wheel, yes that is correct.

Yes, the early conical seat wheels had hardened inserts.
Yes, the 93-97 80 alloys are forged.
The JLL logo is actually a JWL logo and it stands for "Japanese Wheel League"

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom