A different way to vent yer diff..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
So anyway, I have been meaning to extend my diff breathers for ages and I was off today ( :flipoff2: ) So I decided to spend some time on the project.

One thing that kept me from doing it was the fact that I did not care to run the rear diff vent clear up into the engine compartment. This morning I walked past the LH quarter panel and glanced at the fuel door :idea: "Hmmm, that is just as high as most of the engine compartment and it's a helluva lot closer." The gears started turning and here it is:
deep breath 001.jpg
deep breath 002.jpg
deep breath 003.jpg

Dan,

I have been thinking also that I do not want the rear diff breather going all the way to the front when I extend, it seems a lot of hassle. Why do they all have to terminate together in any case surly the shortest distance for a breather tube to travel the better? I was thinking of trying to take it into the little cubby hole at the boot (Cargo) area but have not investigated that as yet it may well be yours is a better solution. :cool:

It looks like very good quality tubing and a neat installation, did you have to drill any holes and how did it terminate in the filler compartment?

Just looking at your fuel tank diverter filler or what ever it is called, does that ever get affected by mud clogging up the works or is it all internal and hence protected?

Thats what I originally wanted to do, someone here had taken the OEM modified breather and had it exit where our pull knobs for the sub tank are, it was really clean. As said many times before, Clean install Dan :flipoff2:

yea, and how long do you think this hose will hold being wrapped around the tire like that, uh? :D

Great idear :idea: Dan.

Now get your :censor: back to work I need parts. :flipoff2:

Thats not far off from what I did.

I told my friends that it would be fine across the tire like that but they thought I was crazy! :cheers:

Nice job dan. I plan on using the "balloon technique" for my rear diff as my front is allready extended up into the engine bay.

Also, what is that box with red on the side in the top-right pic?

The splash shield was removed in the photo that shows the filler neck area. The zip ties attach the hose where it runs along the filler vent tube. The hose is 1/4 inch fuel line and I re-used the original vent end after modifying the flapper inside to allow air travel in both directions.

The box with the red label is my fuel transfer pump for the subtank.

landtank said:
Dan, what's the deal with that 3 link zip tie chain in the first pic. I hope it not holding anything important together.

That is actually two zip ties with a light coil spring in between them. That applies a small ammount of tension against the my rear axle brake hose preventing it from contacting the exhaust pipe in extreme articulation. I am running a T100 hose that is about 2 1/2 inches longer than stock and the routing is such that when the suspension is fully compressed the hose can contact the exhaust pipe. I had that happen once when I was fully loaded and headed for Lake Powell..... :eek: It's a biatch when the brake pedal goes clear to the floor when you are trying to stop a boat.......... :ban:

That is the slick way but in my case the dual filler control rod exits in that location. My vent actually terminates at the top of the the vent tube. You can see a cad-colored "button" at the top end of the hose.

I followed Dan's procedure (merci beaucoup) except using clear tubing (to see what is going on inside), black fuel hose (at the connection points) and a fuel filter at the top end. I connected this to the axle breather as shown in the attached photo from George's write-up (thanks George). My breather line was plugged (I could not blow air through it). I suspected it was plugged when air rushed out of my diff pumpkin while changing the fluid today (used a quart and a half of Redline Heavy Shockproof + synthetic 75w90 for the rest of it).

I know that in additon to this hose, there is also a rear diff lock actuator breather hose that terminates near the OEM bottle jack inside the USDS rear quater panel.

My question is this: at the rear end, are there any other breathers to consider?

Thanks in advance.

:beer:
RDiffBreather.jpg

Spanky.

I just ran Volts911's all the way to the engine compartment today. ;p

I'm a fan of clamping a balloon to the breather, myself.

A ballon ! Great idea. Thanks.
:beer:

OK I got the diff breathers extended.

Photo #1 is the rear (went up the fuel filler line on the outside). I may move it through the sunroof drain line and then inside near the tool storage bay and further extend it to the roof-line.

Photo #2 shows the termination of the front breather up inside the engine bay. I used a cheap fuel filter at the end (front and rear) as suggested. I tossed the OEM breather tubes and "black box".

Photo #3 shows the connection at the rear axle.

Question: Where do the OEM transmission and transfer case breather tubes terminate? (I can't find them).

Thanks in advance.

PS. When I told my wife :princess: what I was doing and what it was for she asked me if I had taken up smoking crack ! Now you'd think she would know me better than that after 34 good years. Seems perfectly normal to me to want to "Cruise" Lake Huron once in a while on the SS LX.
RearTop.jpg
FrontTop.jpg
RearConnection.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom