Superior Shackles report for Urban Landcruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Threads
First let me say that I was only educated in these types of shackles last week in Katemcy. I had read quite a bit about the Revolvers but was flamed for even asking about them. Now I realize their purpose and since Superior has there own design, specifically for the 60s, has locking pins for street use, ans are built from somewhere around 1/4 plate, I am sold.
My friend David Dearborn from Urban Landcruisers is trying to get hooked up with Superior and wanted some testing done so I pony'd up and he sent me a set to try out on my FJ62. My truck is SOA on 37 MTRs, has 13" travel DT shocks, and custom shock mounts to take advantage of the travel. I also have bumpstops lowered to 3.5" above the spring perches. Now said that, I drive this truck on the road quite a bit, and was a little surprised to find that it now rides at least twice as good as it did before the shackle change. The new angle on the shackle allows the spring to flex sooner, not having to swing the shackle back first, then flex, if that makes sense. I ran at 15psi with no sway bars and the pins removed from the Superior's. My truck has never worked so well. I kept all tires planted on the ground even at some crazy twisting. I thought that I would be more top heavy feeling with the frame unloading more, but honestly couldn't tell much of a seat of the pants difference. I have a pretty good sense of stability in my truck and it felt the same. The biggest test came when crossing the big cracks. The suspension fell to the max shock extension and stuffed the oposite tire into the bumpstop. In one crack the axle moved sideways so much that the bumpstop missed the spring plate completely. Wider bumpstops are in order. The driveshafts could stand to be shortened about 3/4" and the 8000 DT shocks are now almost too soft, especially in the rear.
The overall results are amazing, and though the Superior shackles are going to be expensive, I can't see a better way for the suspension to be modified to get better suspension flex for the same $. I realize that flex is not the "all that of wheeling" but in a wagon or any other vehicle for that matter, having all the wheels on the ground is a good feeling. Even though I have lockers, I found that I didn't need them as often.
My bottom line is, get them if you wheel your wagon, but don't skimp on getting the rest of your suspension up to par. You will need long shocks, brake lines, etc.
If anyone has any pictures of my rig, or the 2 other rigs at Roundup, that shows a better angle of suspension flex. please post them or e-mail them to me at gary@powerplayracing.net.

$ well spent David, and thanks Mark from MetalTech for the good pics.
Gary
round_up_00289_jpg.jpg
round_up_00291_jpg.jpg
round_up_00292_jpg.jpg

Another shot. Notice how far sideways the axles has moved. Its about 3 inches. Its pure luck that this amount allowed the tire to go into the fender well cleanly with little rubbing missing the bumpstop completely. I had thought about spacers for the same effect but now I will stay with the 15x10 with 3" backspacing.
round_up_00288_jpg.jpg

What other mods did you have to make to run these bad boys? Drivelines? Shocks? ect.

-Bob

what are the dangers of extending the axle too far? not stuffing it but letting it drop... will that wear on anything over time?

My drivelines have been lengthened and shortened many times but I can that with this droop, they need to be shortend another 3/4" F&R. Shocks are a must, as are extended brake lines and breather lines. You will need at least 13" travel shocks to take advantage of the travel in the shackle as well as the natural droop in the springs. Keep in mind that I am SOA. I would call David Dearborn at Urban Landcruisers and get the scoop on non SOA trucks. He has 2 with this set up.

As far as extending the axle too far. The axle will only go as far as the spring can flex, or open up. In the pictures, my springs are just about as far as they will go, so at this point, all is good. I am going to a longer shock and allow them to go to the max, so we will see the max effect of the shackle/spring combo. Also, if you will look close, you will see that all of the spring tie wraps have been opened up allowing the spring to really open. This helped a bunch. There are no adverse effects of allowing the axle to droop this much as long as the rest of the suspension and driveshafts are modified for the extra travel. In most cases the driveshafts will have to be shortened.
Gary

Last edited:
do you have the shackles only on the front? looks pretty cool. think it unloads too much? think a limmiting strap is a good idea?

Yeah, What Gary said. Amazing flex, better ride nod downside except the price. Both Bob and I were very impressed with the SUA performance.

No matter how nice they are they are only one part of the suspension and all of the suspension must be at 110% to get full advantage from the superiors. They are not a silver bullet by any strech of imagination. I would go with the standard shackle set up and take that to the max then pony up for the big boys.

A few shots I got. Same crack.

Last edited:
Gary,
How did they make the truck ride on the city roads? Talking to Bob from denver, who also had the shackles at roundup...he mentioned they made the truck ride a whole lot better - not as bouncy.

One more. A buddy of mine from the 3FE list is editing a video I have of the shackle comeing back together when Gary drove out of this crack. I will post it up when it is done.

I watched all three trucks with these things while I was at KRocks. I must admit, they look a little scary but once I got used to what they were supposed to be doing I was really impressed. Not a weekend mod, to be sure, as all the stuff that Gary listed is a must to make these things safe to run.

Last edited:
Great shots , Waggoner5 ,
i would like to see a pic of your truck on level ground just to see how high it sits or a measurement from the ground to the gutter on the roof.
Also have you got these shackles front and rear or just front ???
One more thing if you dont mind did you do much cutting to get 37's under your fenders and what diff ratios are you running ????

Thank you
Hey Charger

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FJ 60 , BOBBED 15 3/4 " , SOA , 383SBC , ARB AIR LOCKERS , PTO WINCH , CUSTOM REAR BAR , 13" TRAVEL SHOCKS 9 WAY ADJUSTABLE , .

CLICK HERECLICK HERECLICK HERE

Last edited:
I gotcha. Didn't want to put any undue pressure on you. Figured doing it anonymously meant you could take your sweet time. Now where is that cool ass video you promised?
:flipoff2::D:flipoff2:

mmw68 said:
Did you not see my post above?? :) :) :) :beer: :beer: :beer:

- Your buddy from the 3FE board! :)

I love that 62 man....one of my favs....congrats on makin 37s look small..

more importantly...loooked like a fun wheelin trip.

-Al

first off...how much? i didn't see them listed under suspension on david's website? money's tight, so i need to know $ before i consider anything. second, how would they work on sua" alcan setup? i ordered my springs 1" longer with the anticapation of getting longer shackles, would these be a better option?

Time to chime in...
I wasn't sure if my Superior shackles where worth the $$$. I run 4+ over Alcans sua and Bilstien shocks that allow @11 inches of drop. Prior to the S shackles I had 1 inch longer shackles and man did this set up improve my '84 60. But on the ramp there was no difference between the the two systems. I wasn't sold.
The first thing you notice with the S shackles is the ride. As soft and comfortable as Alcans are, now things where even better.
So off to Katemcy, the big test. Would I have maintained traction the same if I didn't change shackles, I don't know. But as David and I discussed and compaired, his point was well taken, "did you ever lose traction or get a wheel of the ground"? The answer was always no. And we were never shy with our wagons." Pick the hard line ".
The amaizing thing was that the tire is always on the ground and the spring is flat and the S shackle is contorted 3 ways to Sunday. Look at Garys photos and you'll see.
Yes I may have experienced a little more lean as if the S shackles unloaded but there are some awfull angles at Katemcy and untill I travel over more familiar territory I"m not sure it was an issue.
My suspension, drive line, break lines etc. were modified when I went Alcan and I had to do nothing else to use the S shackles.
Bottom line, the ramp didn't speak for the real world of Wagons on the trail.
Also I believe the characteristics of the S shackles are different between sua and soa.
I've been through several different sua set ups. Not sure if this sould be anyones first choice as a mod. But I'm keeping mine and can't wait to test them out on the home turf.
Thanks David for turning me on to this Aussie bling.

devo

No I don't have any cool pictures like Gary does.

Souds like a cool mod and lookin at the pics appears to be a cool mod but it all boils down to the $$$$$$ how much???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom