Stinkbug Stance with OME- Which shackles can help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put on the OME light lift (ARB/OME Lift Kit - 2" Light Load w/ Shackle and Pins FJ60, FJ62 1985-1990 - https://cruisercorps.com/products/arb-ome-fj60-fj62-lift-kit-2-light-load-w-shackle-and-pins) and after enough time for it to settle I'm still looking for a way to fix the stance. It seems my options are to swap the shackles or remove a leaf in the back- both I'm considering. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on which shackles I can buy (without getting a kit including the leafs) to just raise my front end by a few inches or just any other general advice. Appreciate it!

1987 FJ60

Did you get it from Cruiser Outfitters? Either way you might want to call them, they really know their stuff. A picture of your rig might help. You may need to add another leaf to the fronts.

OME springs are longer than the original stock springs... so they require a longer shackle. If a shorter shackle is used, the shackle can wrap up and lock against the spring when either bottomming out the suspension or when that wheel drops completely on a big bump.
Shackles can be lengthened a little with no harm, but shortening them is an invitation to a frowning face.

Did you get it from Cruiser Outfitters? Either way you might want to call them, they really know their stuff. A picture of your rig might help. You may need to add another leaf to the fronts.
thanks for the advice ill give em a call tomorrow

you can also use a slightly larger front shackle to raise the front a hair, to even things out. I used a Man-a-Fre longer front shackle to even my rig out way back when

I have the same kit with the same issue. I am going to pull a leaf based on advice from OME. Adding one to the front would work but I don't want the added stiffness.

I have the same rear high stance. I noticed the rear shackles are longer than the fronts and was wondering why and if they can be swapped. I haven’t done it, especially since I’ll add a rear tire carrier at some point.

Anyone swapped shackles front/rear?

I have the same rear high stance. I noticed the rear shackles are longer than the fronts and was wondering why and if they can be swapped. I haven’t done it, especially since I’ll add a rear tire carrier at some point.

Anyone swapped shackles front/rear?
Yes they can be swapped, just note that the rear is higher because it hasn't softened up/broken in. Some folks add weight to the rear others raise the front with AAL or longer shackle.

Either way look at the shackle angle and that will tell you the wise way to go. You don't want your shackle vertical, but that is how OME comes usually because they expect the leaf to break-in. Since everyone uses their truck for style and instagram, the springs take a long time to break-in or 'sag' so the shackle angle improves.

If the truck rides super stiff, your shackle angle is way vertical, either deal with it, take out leaves, shorter shackle(if that is an option) or add weight.

My shackle angles are actually flatter than I expected, that’s why I pondered this. I’ve got about 3000 miles and 6 months on my lift. Not sure how long it takes to settle but it sure is soft and smooth!

I also noticed the front shackle plates were thinner material. Wasn’t sure if that was just because they were shorter the engineers didn’t think they needed to be as thick or what.

were you able to get the website to load?
Yes it says they provide 1 1/4" of lift. I assume that is from factory? Just curious how they compare to the OME shackles size wise? I don't have my factory shackles anymore to compare to my OME.

It’s a great shackle, very heavy duty, and is certainly longer than the OME anti-inversion shackle that comes with a kit. It’s a pretty direct replacement, size wise, from what I remember. I have used them successfully to clear 35 inch tires.

If I'm running good rake wise would you recommend front and rear?
If you’re running good, rake wise, and are clearing the tires you are running, you can prob just leave it alone. I’ve used them to bump up OME (currently Dobinsons) to clear 35s

Cheers

@Tennessee80 I'm running 34s and like them but feel like it could stand to sit slightly higher. My springs have settled a bit as well. Do you need castor shims once this is done and can you swap over the OME bushings, or just buy new ones with the shackles? THANKS!

@Tennessee80 I'm running 34s and like them but feel like it could stand to sit slightly higher. My springs have settled a bit as well. Do you need castor shims once this is done and can you swap over the OME bushings, or just buy new ones with the shackles? THANKS!
Are you running shims now? I’m pretty sure you can use the OME bushings….

Best to call JT Outfitters with the bushings question…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom