Cdan is now using voodoo.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we get the second 80 and I decide to drive it a couple weeks before ordering whatever it's going to need from Cdan. Needs this, needs that and I'm going to put new starter contacts in it so I don't have to worry about it. No symptoms whatsoever for 1000 miles or so.

I'm expecting the shipment any day now and this morning I go to an emergency school board meeting early. Start the truck to leave that meeting and a couple dash idiot lights stay on after it's running. Hmmm. Don't hear anything strange. Open the door to listen and just hear a faint whining that I'm unsure is different from the normal sound. So I shut the engine off to see if the computer will reset itself.

Whoa! The starter keeps turning the engine over even with the key in my hand! I popped the hood, banged on the starter with a handy parking lot sign post and finally resort to grabbing the Cruiser tool kit and using the pliers to disconnect the battery. I elected to turn the key back on while I did this, so the starter and engine are running together vs the starter turning the engine alone on the instant theory that it would develop less heat in the starter that way. Then I dashed into the school kitchen and grabbed a bag of ice to toss on the starter in hopes it would cool down quicker and release the plunger. No dice. Pounded some more using the jack as a hammer and the assembled jack handle as a rod. Still no result, so I wait for the ice to cool it.

Then I called Cdan to find out when the parts would arrive and this is when things got interesting. He seemed unsurprised when I called - ya know what I mean? Kinda like you call a friend to share some news and it seems like they somehow heard about it already and you wonder....

So Cdan confirms that I have two full sets of contacts and plungers coming my way and it's arriving Wednesday as expected. But he also offers to overnight ANOTHER set to me. In the silence while I debate if I can be without one car for two days, I hear some drumbeats in the back ground over the phone. And some kinda clinky klunky sounds. It comes to me - the guy's using VOODOO! That clunking sound - it's chicken bones and human knuckles and the like as I've seen in the movies. So I scream "You're cursing my truck - you're using voodoo to make it fail so you can buy more Kibbles 'n Bits for your dog!!! How could you, man??" At the other end of the phone, I hear something like knitting needles hitting the floor and I get a visual that he's got a little model of all of our 80s and he's poking them with needles.

He denies it. Of course. But I just wanted you guys to know that I've uncovered how and why it is that all our trucks have the same symptoms. And why it is that if someone posts that their interior door switches quit working, it happens to 3 or 4 of us within a week. It's voodoo!!!!

After 10 minutes of icing, the starter cooled down and a couple taps rewarded me with a nice click as the plunger retracted. I hopped in and made tracks to a shaman who put a good curse on the vehicle that will block future efforts against it. And I suggest you all do the same.

So, my wife's driving a friend's new Suburban as they're out of town until the UPS man arrives Wednesday. She hates it - wallows, etc.

Anyhow, if you guys have this happen, remember that you can pull the starter positive terminal using the tool kit pliers in about 60 seconds to prevent a fire, or damage to the starter.

DougM

that's a solid PM job that i haven't done yet. is that covered in the FSM?

:flipoff2:

The radiator should start leaking around 3:19 PM Thursday...........:D

A knitting needle thru the lower tank...........:rolleyes:

That used to happen to my 80 all the time. I replaced the starter bla bla. In the meantime whenever the dern thing stuck I would simply engage and disengage the key as if I were attempting to restart the truck. Worked everytime, after 2 or three attempts the starter disengaged. I got it fixed right but I was able to get by with that wee little trick without ever having to disconect the bat-tree.....

Good luck

That was pretty good, Doug.

CDan is the man!!! Received my first order from him last week, even though the UPS Store gave it to the wrong person, Dan tracked it down and verified the person who signed for it. I got it and installed it (94 mast)

Above and beyond the call of duty for sure.

(Maybe if you are nice he won't chant and stick your truck with the needle!!)

IdahoDoug said:
I popped the hood, banged on the starter with a handy parking lot sign post

DougM

Whoa ! How'dju know where the starter was ? You some kinda maintenance freak ? Man , I really need to grab a thermarest and lie under my 80 for a while .. redefine 'mechanical bonding' . :beer:

TY

PS : You meant white voodoo , right ? :eek:

TY, most starters are in the same place on most vehicles. One one side of the motor or the other right where the motor and transmission come together. It's pretty easy to spot if you know what they look like, even if you've never looked under your cruiser before.

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
TY, most starters are in the same place on most vehicles. One one side of the motor or the other right where the motor and transmission come together. It's pretty easy to spot if you know what they look like, even if you've never looked under your cruiser before.

Ary

I'd say he'll spend some more time underneath it now that he's got his new lift and big tires. Won't have to get out the jack.. and all. :flipoff2:

Good one Doug.

So if I sacrifice a chicken and let the blood drip on the engine bay will my 80 be safe from the voodoo?

Starter kill solenoid should keep that from happening to me, I will be able to shut down and tap the starter until it releases at my leisure. Down side is I have a solenoid to worry about failing, at least they are cheap and quick to change.

Edit,

<-post # 1,666 and it is about VooDoo :doh:

:idea: I shold probably atone by feeding the Dan's dogs

Last edited:
Doug, for what its worth, you would be much better off leaving the ignition off when removing the battery cable. If the ignition is on, starter solenoid stuck on, and the motor running, then I expect that the alternator is also outputting whatever it can to keep up with the starter draw. When you pull the battery cable when the alternator is charging there is a very large voltage spike that can damage the alternator and any other voltage sensitive device. The worse case scenario in automotive electrical system voltage spikes is disconnecting the battery while the alternator is charging. In the engineering circles this is called load dump.

RavenTai said:
Good one Doug.

So if I sacrifice a chicken and let the blood drip on the engine bay will my 80 be safe from the voodoo?

What kind of chicken? You will have a slightly better chance selecting a free-range chicken that lays a brown or blue-green egg than you would selecting a commercial white chicken that lays USDA large, white, boring, eggs.....:flipoff2:

On the other hand, you can run from me but you can't hide......:flipoff2:

"Hmm... is he really? and im quite new here...How can i resist the vodoo man? "

Well, for starters, dont let him get you drunk... ;)

I'm having trouble sleeping with this %$#@ garlic clove necklace on...

DougM

cruiserdan said:
You will have a slightly better chance selecting a free-range chicken that lays a brown or blue-green egg than you would selecting a commercial white chicken that lays USDA large, white, boring, eggs.....:flipoff2:

On the other hand, you can run from me but you can't hide......:flipoff2:

Going to barn to search for free-range chicken............... :idea:

Will be back later......................................................... :flipoff2:

* goes out to truck *

"The power of Christ compells you..the power of Christ compells you ! "

still looking for the tech in this post.....

:flipoff2: (careful, I've got an 80 coming....)

woody said:
still looking for the tech in this post.....

:flipoff2: (careful, I've got an 80 coming....)

At last The Great Wood One aquires a true Land Cruiser.....:D

Congratulations Sir!

woody said:
(careful, I've got an 80 coming....)

Woody,
Avoid giving C-Dan your VIN. He has some virtual voodoo application on his PC at the store but it requires a specific VIN to work. He is trying to get me to build a Mud ID to VIN cross-reference but I keep stalling him. Once he works out a way to stick those head gasket pins directly into "Woody's 80" then we're all in trouble.

Rumor has it that Christo is offering to fund the project.... dunno.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom