Orion: slips into neutral??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.seattlecruiserheads.com
Hi,

I have a 1978 FJ40 with a just installed H41 4-speed and Orion tcase. I have only done one trail run so far. The low gearing combo with 4.88's feals awesome! BUT the tcase slips ot of 4-low into neutral when going down hills. Obviously I need to check something. What though? Linkage, detent springs, boots or ???

Anyone else having this symptom???

Max

Thanks for posting that thread. Seems like others have had the same symptoms. I also have a slow leak around the idler shaft. I'll check the linkage and do what I can without dropping the whole mess again. Then I will run around some hillls and see how it does...

max

peesalot said:
tighten the srec on the shift fork.

John means well. srec is screw in pees-ese!

The screw that puts tension on the spring and ball in the shift fork...

CruiserMax said:
Thanks for posting that thread. Seems like others have had the same symptoms. I also have a slow leak around the idler shaft. I'll check the linkage and do what I can without dropping the whole mess again. Then I will run around some hillls and see how it does...

max

Built another Orion here last weekend, and because others have stated that the idler shaft was leaking, I decided to push the shaft out and replace the o-rings. Good thing that I did. One was cut in two pieces and was an oil leak waiting to happen. The other was damaged significanlty, and I do not think that it would have kept oil in and dirt out. It would also appear that the orings were not lubed at all when installed, as there was not any indication of a lube of any type on the rings or the shaft.

Good luck!

-Steve

I had a chance to try out my Orion and loved it. Other than lockers, drivetrain is stock. The bottom of the Orion does stick out and the drain plug did get hit. I'll need to pound down the skidplate to cover it.

It did pop out of low on a steep downhill descent. I really don't want to pull the tcase just to adjust the screw tension.

Those that did adjust, did you go in through the top, through the hump? It looks doable.

Thanks, Dan https://forum.ih8mud.com/newreply.php#

To follow up on Dan's question: a friend of mine also has a new Orion in his 81 FJ40. It also popped out of 4-low into neutral when going down a hill. So it sounds like a thread with Orions for sure. "W" Harold did the install on this one, so it must be something unforeseen with the tight tolerances of the Orion. I may call them and ask for feedback on this...

Is it possible to adjust the tension on the fork spring WITHOUT HAVING TO DROP THE TRANNY??? Please, please say YES! Also, can you be a little more explicit about the adjustment? Which way to tighten? How much? What to look for etc, etc. Any pics of where the adjustments needs to be made etc? If anyone can solve this issue he will receive a bouquet of fresh roses delivered to his door! Hmmm, OK maybe not so much, ... but I would really like to solve this!

Thanks for advice so far!!!!
Max

I wonder if any of you check out the tolerance of the shift fork fitting in the shifting collar just like mentioned in the FSM, how about the condition of dog teeth of the shifting collar? I once got a transfer case from a hardcore wheeler and the teeth were pretty worn out. I will measure the tolerance tonight when I get home.

/td

I am going to try to speak to someone at AA on Wednesday. Anyone know of an informed Orion tech guy I could ask for??? I will post any conclusion I may learn form AA afterwords. I am hoping for something between duct tape and pulling and rebuilding the Orion...

Again, thanks for the input guys...
Max

I did check that and it was well within specs on my original shift fork and the new shift fork supplied by A/A. It looks like the shift fork although fitting correct just does not get the collar all the way on the high gear dog teeth. I think adding to one side of the shift fork fingers via weld and taking some off the other side thereby moving the position of the collar is the solution( and I mean moving it like 12/1000 ths. over would do it). Next time I'll get it right.

interesting....

I went out and looked at the old gears I have (OEM) and all of them have worn the 2 degrees of taper to almost flat. It is possible Toyota cuts the gears so they have room to wear? I know most of us have well over 100,000 on our Cruisers.

Last edited:
IIRC the orion gears are made by the same people in Japan or whereever that make the Toyota and Marlin stuff . I went thru the same thing in trying to figure why my 420 was poppin outa third . Turned out to be same exact issue as in the link about the taper. The 420's had a production change that used shorter dogteeth to prevent this.

Has anyone talk to AA about this? IMO, I think the transfercase kicking out gear is scary or even dangerous on the roads or trails.

Wonder if everyone with an Orion has the same problem or just a few?

Meanwhile, I am not going to install my Orion until AA address this issue.

/td

mustardfj40 said:
Has anyone talk to AA about this? IMO, I think the transfercase kicking out gear is scary or even dangerous on the roads or trails.

Wonder if everyone with an Orion has the same problem or just a few?

Meanwhile, I am not going to install my Orion until AA address this issue.

/td

Tien,

I have been busy and have not called AA yet. Kinda slacked off on the cruiser front lately. My rig sits in the driveway, all muddy from a trail run several weeks back. The back is full of stuff with a mess of tangled bungee cords and a cooler filled with rotting left over food etc(hey, am I the only idiot who does this?)

Like I said the H41-Orion-4.88's combo is awsome! I have never had such great slow control EXCEPT when the bloody tcase pops into neutral when you are doing something critical like going down a steep hill!!! I will call them and look into this detent spring issue.

Max

Max,

This morning I looked at 2 shifting collars that I have, even thought they're pretty in good conditions, I can see the worn marks indented in the collar, I belevie these indented marks keep the collar from jumping out of to neutral, when I try to fit this collar with new Orion gear, seem like the dog teeth don't align with these worn indented marks like the old gears...So I heading to Toyota dealer now to get a brand new shifting collar and a new spring for the shift fork. The collar should cost around 50 bucks...

/td

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom