McNamara Fix for the 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After using the SEARCH function and reading most of the posts on the tranny clunk, I'm not reading that the Mcnamara fix IS for the 80. I did read on 3FE that it's only for the 62 series. Do you concur? This would be wonderful as we all know that sucker is expensive. I'm taking the bugger to my favorite chassis shop on Sat. for the driveline inspection. Splines, u-joints, tranny and transfer oil check. I want them to drop the drive line and clean and grease the splines and replace worn u-joints if needed. This rig isn't going to see the off roading like my 60 so I'm thinking I'd use NAPA joints. I can get spicer's for about $46 each but havent priced OEM( they do give me 20% off). Doesn't sound like the front drive line is involved with the 'clunk'. Correct?
Your help much appreciated(especially since I used the SEARCH and we're off the avatar thread)
Thanks,
Russ in California :cool:

It is applicable to the FJ80 with the wuss 3fe for sure. Those 3fe guys that were at the bash are very cool folks. Mitch, Yooper, TOZOVR, Mossman etc. ... all great guys.

Talk to Yooper etc and I'm sure you can get some great info. I don't it's really been discussed much anywhere besides the 3fe list.

Russ,

It's not clear to me what vehicle you're asking about. Early 80's had the 3FE but the engine isn't causing the drive-line clunk; it's more to do with the FT 4wd than any one thing in particular.

I wouldn't spend any money on new parts until you've identified a specific piece causing a problem. On the 80's, there is a lot (a LOT) of bits and pieces that add up to a clunk when changing directions. Some clunking is normal (or at least we consider it acceptable.) And the front *is* involved with the clunk.

The only thing I would recommend for a quick fix is pulling both drive shafts, cleaning, and greasing the splines. You've read the other posts (Rich, IIRC) describing what to do.

How long have you had the 80 and what year is it? How many miles? Service history? What is a McNamara fix?

-B-

B
I'm refering to 1991 FJ80 with about 200,000 miles. Maint. history is unknown. I've had it since this spring and usually fiddle with my 60. The Mcnamara is an Aussie company, they make a replacement for the output transfer gear. They say better than OEM and will fix the tranny clunk apparently in the 62 series. It's $350 though.
I'm going with the drive line maint. first. Sound best and way less mulla.
Thanks,
Russ :cool:

Russ

Yes it would apply to the "FJ80", since they share the "A440F" transmission like the FJ62.

I would check the driveline issues first - like you are planning. If you still have the problem, I would next take the transfercase apart, and check the wear on the transmission output shaft. If the wear on the tranny output shaft is bad from the TC input gear, then you really have four choices, and this would be my order of choice

1 - New or used A440F tranny
2 - New output shaft
3 - live with it
4 - McNamara output gear

Joe

It does not apply to the FJ80 as I understand it. In the FJ62 the out put shaft from the tranny is long and goes thru the t-case(one Piece), you need to rebuild the t-case on the tranny. On the FJ80 the t-case uses a spud shaft type of system(tranny has own out put, t-case has own input) and comes off the tranny whole after removing the drive line and wires and 6 bolts. two different types of t-cases. The trannys may be of the same family (440) but the output shafts are dfferent. the McNarmara fix will not work on this, atleast the one for the fj62. I would think the input shaft for the t-case would be cheaper than the kit. It may be time for you to rerbuild your t-case. later robbie

So I took the FJ80 to the chassis shop and found no slop in the rear drive line at the ujoints , rear of the transfer or rear diff. but in fact found major slop or lag at the front differential. Front drive line ujoints are fine also. So what do you think I'm looking at? Bad diff and/or birfs?
Don't imagine heavier gear oil would help? That'd be too easy.
Russ

I would look at the front drive plate, this can be a source of a lot of clunk. Next would be the back lash in the front diff. You may also have a little looseness in the spline to side gear, side gear (backlash)looseness, spline to biefield looseness. A lot more places to have looseness in the front drive axle. May be time to regear the axles. Some times the carrier bearing will get loose and this will allow the ring gear to go from side to side, creating other problems of different backlash depending on if going forward or reverse. later robbie

Thanks robbie, very kind of you. I'm not quite sure what the front drive plates are. I've missplaced my FSM and not that familiar with the SOR site.
Russ

THe front drive plates are the one that drive the wheel hub. Where you bolt your wheels on to the axle. Remove the dust cap with a small chisel or equivlant, remove snap ring, with alxe up in air rotate the wheel back and forth to see how much the inner axle moves back and forth. Or remove the drive plate (has 6 12mm nuts and washers, cone washers), clean plate and see how worn the drive plates are. With the miles youy have it might be wise just to order them from dan and keep the old ones for trail spares. later robbie

Greasing seems to make my driveline clunk a non issue. Comes back about every 6 mos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom