Transmission Fluid Type-T or IV (Redline Oil) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Transmission Fluid Type-T-IV (Redline Oil)

Would anyone know if Redline Oil Synthetic D4-ATF is compatible with a Toyota Transmission Fluid Type T-IV that goes into the new Transmissions behind the V8 Engines.......I know this is might not be an 80 question......but I need a verification if you know please........Thanks

Al

Last edited:
OK, I called Redline Oil and the Tech Support Dept. told me that Redline does not have anything compatible with Toyota Type T-IV Trans. Oil.

Thanks

Al

Wow, I didn't realize those trannies didn't take normal ATF. Thanks for checking and posting about this...might even want to cross-post this into the 100-series forum, since that's where most of the V8 Cruisers reside.

Good info...

I did not know that as well until I crossed referenced it with the owners manual......the thing is Redline and Amosil dealers quotes that the Synthetic D4 ATF (redline oil) & Synthetic ATF (Amsoil) is compatible with the Toyota Type T-IV but when I spoke with the technical support dept. for each mfg. they indicated that there are no such Synthetic ATF on the market today that is compatible with it....so imagine that you would accept the dealer quote and try to mix the 2 different products in your transmission.........who would you blame when it fails ??????luckily I called directly and I got the scope...hope I helped someone avoid making a huge and costly mistake.

Al

BMW 5 speed Automatics use a Special ATF that is Marketed as "LIFETIME". Added confusion is that two different versions exist. One is made by Shell and the other is made by Exxon. Neither is compatible with the other. Both cost about $ 8 per qt. Therefore, and this may be hard to swallow, clean OE fluid beats fancy Aftermarket fluid. Bottom line is " Keep the Fluid CLEAN " When that becomes too expensive to administer, it is time to rebuild the Transmission.

AMSOIL Universal ATF meets T-IV requirements

The following is an email I sent to AMSOIL Technical Service after seeing that their Universal ATF was recommended on the Website (Corporate, not a dealer) for use in trannies requiring T-IV fluid.

I have a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser (UZJ100) and the owner's manual recommends Toyota Type IV automatic transmission fluid. How is this different from the Dextron III fluid recommended in earlier model years using the same transmission and should I use the AMSOIL Univesal ATF or stick with a dealer supplied Toyota Type IV fluid ? I noticed that the web site recommends the AMSOIL ATF but Toyota Type IV is not listed on bottles of AMSOIL Universal ATF. Thanks​

AMSOIL Reply

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, reformulation of AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was not required to attain the Toyota Type T and T-IV ratings. Therefore the labels don’t reflect the rating, as this is a relatively recent change.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Jim Van
AMSOIL Technical Services​

I am running AMSOIL ATF in my UZJ100 and feel very safe doing so. I am thinking that T-IV is essentially a high-quality Dextron III like product, perhaps even semi-synthetic (like MERCON V) and that is why Toyota has moved to it but AMSOIL Universal ATF did not have to be changed to meet the requirements. I would still like to see the T-IV approval on the bottle. Toyota may also be charging a license fee for the T-IV rating to be on the bottle or not allowing it at all (like ATF+4). My semi-synthetic theory makes the high price of the T-IV from a dealer seem more reasonable but I have never expected or received reasonable prices from a dealer.

OT: price of synthetic ATF

tomlite said:
BMW 5 speed Automatics use a Special ATF that is Marketed as "LIFETIME". Added confusion is that two different versions exist. One is made by Shell and the other is made by Exxon. Neither is compatible with the other. Both cost about $ 8 per qt.

Jeez - I wish the special synthetic Audi ATF was even twice that much - it's $18 per liter, which I am sure you guys know is less than a quart. I had the ATF in my wife's A4 changed at 60k even tho it is supposed to be lifetime. I choked when I saw the bill...

John

I thought eveyone and their dog ran Mobile 1 synth. transmission fluid?

I just use Valoline Mercon/Dextron III, it's cheap and an fluid change is only 15 minutes, abet you got to do about 10 of them to totally flush the system out, that would be about 50 qts.

T-iv Atf

Thanks, that is very important tip. I never realize that, I though any type iv atf would do it.

I thought eveyone and their dog ran Mobile 1 synth. transmission fluid?

Seams that way for the 80 series, but that is a Dex III, not T-IV like the later 100 series.

why is this in 80-Series Tech?

BMW 5 speed Automatics use a Special ATF that is Marketed as "LIFETIME". Added confusion is that two different versions exist. One is made by Shell and the other is made by Exxon. Neither is compatible with the other. Both cost about $ 8 per qt. Therefore, and this may be hard to swallow, clean OE fluid beats fancy Aftermarket fluid. Bottom line is " Keep the Fluid CLEAN " When that becomes too expensive to administer, it is time to rebuild the Transmission.

It's worse than that there are actually 4+ fluids and they used different fluids at different not just by tranny model. To accurately replace the fluid you have to climb under the car and see what sticker is on the pan to establish the proper fluid.

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, reformulation of AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) was not required to attain the Toyota Type T and T-IV ratings. Therefore the labels don’t reflect the rating, as this is a relatively recent change.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Jim Van
AMSOIL Technical Services​

Typical Amsoil BS response. The oil has not been certified and does not meet the spec. The only oil that meets the spec for the T-IV is the toyota oil. For specialized tranny oil requirements stick with the OE tranny fluid unless you want problems. I have a friend that just spent $4000 to find that out with an Acura MDX. He took the oil changers word that their additive package brought Dextron III up to Acura's specs, I said no, 2 weeks later the tranny failed. He wanted to save the $100 extra the Acura dealer charged for the change.

Shell makes very good syn. Oil, but at High dollar prices. We have to use the special Shell in our Kawasaki Dozers, last check, over $1200.00 per 55gal drum of tranny fluid, if its not used the $12K tranny will not be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom