Ign Quirk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
I am experiencing a very stranger problem with my ignition. I have a Chev 350 mated to the stock tranny and t-case, and now Im having trouble turning it off. It starts up fine, when I turn the key to the off position the engine keeps running, but the accessories turn off aswell. I pulled out my multi meter and found that there is direct 12V power going to the coil/distributor at all time now. Im thinking the ignition switch is stuck, just because this problem just started yesterday, and I havnt changed anything. Any insight would be helpful. Im getting really tired of having to stall out the engine, or go under the hood to disconnect the coil. Thanks :confused: :cheers: :beer:
Ryan

did this just start or is the cruiser new to you and its always done it?

had a problem on my 45LV with a 350 and GM alt, motor would not shut off, turns out it needs a check engine light in line with the charge wire, a light work the same.

John

I had the same thing happen when I "rewired" mine. I did like Pimp did and added a light on the dash. You could also use a diode. Try a search for "diode" and check this out.

A test to figure out where the electrical juice is coming from:

With engine running pull the ignition wire from the coil so it kills the motor (Rather than using the key to try turning it off). Now find out if there is juice making it to the coil. If there is not it means the current is coming from the alternator and and you're in need of a diode. (You could just as easily pull the fan belt off the alt and try turning off the key ... this will tell you the same thing).

If the ignition is still hot even with the engine not running the juice is leaking in from some other place.

If you are using an internally regulated alt then just unplug it while running with key off. If the engine dies then the bleed is coming from alt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom