Yeah! Orion! Yeah! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

L

Lemon

"Bearing pre-load must be 10-13 ft./lbs. of torque"

http://www.advanceadapters.com/orionweb/orion.pdf

MY ASS . . .
Shelled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF happend exactly?

As for setting preload, I have notice that FSM has a different way of setting it compared to the way AA does it: a spring scale is used after the ebrake drum installed, and preload is set at 2.6-9.0lbs for new bearings. That's how I did it when I rebuilt my original transfer case.

/td

That looks like a bit more than 13 lbs of preload....

Explain please..

WE NEED ANSWERS MAN :eek:

I think you got them on that one. Preload on tapered roller bearings is typicaly 2-20 INCH pounds, depending on the diameter of the bearing. The Yota specs work out to about 10-27 inch pounds. Foot pounds would be an order of magnitude too tight. They should replace them. Hopefully only the bearing is FUBAR.

That sucks!

What is going on with the other gear on the left? It appears that the whole output shaft and gears shifted forward, and the shift collar teeth on the hi speed gear dont look attached or concentric anyhow, with the gear teeth of the gear(the small one on the left)

FSM shows 10-13 lbs with a spring scale pulling on one of the parking break drum studs. Not 10-13 FT LBS.
FSM.jpg

Just got a call from AA regarding this "typo" in their install manual....I was told that the correct setting should be 13-20 INCH lbs....Mark said that AA had not caught that error in their installation manual, so was calling everyone to insure they don't get a result like Lemon's.... Additionally, I was told that if an inch-lb wrench was not available, could use the spring scale method and then the 10-13 lbs would be o.k. for preload.......

Anyone got any idea how "free" the output shaft should spin in Hi range? Low range? In neutral mine seems to be OK (I don't have a scale yet :eek:). In hi range I can turn it fairly easily with my fingers with the PB drum on, but in low range I have to use both hands and give it some muscle. This doesn't seem right.

I'm gonna call AA Monday morning.

Chris

Chris, yeah you gotta have the walmart special digital fish scale to measure pull. Even a stock case will be more difficult to turn in low range, but the orion's 4 to 1 low will make it that much harder to spin in low. Get the fish scale, and check e-drum pull. I think the fsm calls for this to be done in high range, but check to be certain...

I can post

I'm here , damn it feels good . Got mine on Friday . Anyone wanna have a build my orion party.

I used 3 shims to get to 2.2 kg in neutral. Each shim added approximately .5 kg. In 2 low, the resistance is about 4-5 kg. I can move the shaft without the drum but it does take some force. The killer fish scale I picked up at the evil Wal-Mart. Here comes the technology:

Video attached

http://home.comcast.net/~treeroot6/MVI_0588.zip

:)
preload3.jpg

Last edited:
I used my Orion to throw my back out. Could have been the tranny though :D

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have never set the preload but I trust the FSM and I believe I set everything correctly. 1.2 - 4.1 kg is a rather large range. The only reason I chose 2.2 was because it was in the middle of that range. I think the difference between inch/foot/kg specs is where you reference it. The outer edge of the brake drum will add some leverage when compared to the nut in the center.

This is a still from the video above:
preloadMUD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom