Scion HU install with Ipod control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JOFS

GOLD Star
Threads
IMPORTANT DO NOT SWITCH TO THE NEW HEADUNIT WITH IPOD CONTROL UNLESS YOU GET THE WIRING OFF THE BACK OF THE HEAD UNIT AS IT IS NOT AVAILABLE.

UPDATE< UPDATE 11/07

It appears the cable is available as it is now custom made. On ebay. I can't vouch for it but it does seem it is made
look here http://ads.auctionads.com/pagead/li...bay.com/billc41&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:CA:1181

So I wanted to put a Scion head unit with ipod control in My wife's 80. This is the newer upgraded headunit. I bought one off ebay from an auto recycler. Got the unit looked good with all the harnesses in the back cut off a short distance off the radio.
ipodworks001.jpg

Did some background and found that there is a cable off the back of HU to the ipod control that does not have a part number. So there are three cables. One out of the head unit: this links to another cable that has an Ipod port in the console, (PT546-21061), Then from this to the Ipod is a cable PT546-21062.

So I had part of the cable off the head unit that links to the cable I have, So I figure I just need a connector and can just match colors, well the colors don't match. So I match wire numbers from a scion wiring diagram and then put in individual connectors as I could get the unit from cdan or local toyota but I need to get this done today, Plus that is just the connector, not wiring or anything else.
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7529/radioconnkq9.gif
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9489/radioct5.gif

So I splice in some wire and then do connectors. This took quite some time. The wiring did look like it was patched together as reported on scionlife.com, was different than any toyota wiring I have seen before.

ipodworks004.jpg

ipodworks005.jpg

ipodworks006.jpg

ipodworks007.jpg

So then put the radio in. Usual stuff as all the scion transplants documented before. I have the picts but it is available elsewhere and pretty straight forward, unhooked the amplifier to the right of the glove box and it work right away,

Then checked and rechecked and played around with the mounting a bit, needed to trim the head unit and the surrounding plastic. this is the final result, prior to smoothing the cuts off and firmly mounting every thing back.

ipodworks013.jpg

Take home message, I think it is totally cool to now have a headunit directly driving the ipod that looks factory. However the amount of time I spent dealing with the wiring makes me suggest you think really hard about doing this. Unless of course you get the wiring in its entirety with the head unit. I did call cdan and he sent me all the wiring available. If I did not have the cut of section I would have really been screwed.

I hope this makes sense if it doesn't let me know. Took me over 8 hours to do this, but considering I am unable to use my right hand due to recent surgery could be much shorter.

John

Last edited:
Does that ipod cable receptacle fit in the stock switch cutouts? I wonder if you could get that to work with an aftermarket radio.

That is cool. So the iPod plug fit right into one of the blanks? Do you have a photo of that. Makes me want to get and iPod!

Nice job there! Looks like alot of work.

NICE, I love my I-pod too bad I already replace my stocker with another aftermarket unit.

The ipod hook up does not fit directly in to the blanks in the dash. I had to do a little fab work to get it to stay in there. It is shorter than the swtich blanks and I will try to get picts when I get home.

It sticks up a bit too but really isn't that noticeable.

Hope this helps
John

A guy at work has a scion and his ipod connector is in the glovebox. I kind of like that idea as it keeps the ipod out of sight. I didn't play around with the radio much but I would hope he can control the ipod with the headunit without opening the glovebox to change songs.

JOFS,

I think I understand your write-up but need to verify: When you refer to requiring the wiring off of the back of the donating car's head unit, does it need the donor's wires circled in red, the ipod control circled in green, or all three?

ipodworks004.jpg

This eBay Scion Head Unit has a cable for iPod with it, but it appears to be the cable that would run from the dash plug in to the iPod, and not directly from the rear of the HU to the iPod.
ipodworks004.jpg

Hey JOFS...good music choice there. Nice Install.

The cable you have to get with it is the bottom cable. The one circled in green. You can see in my last picture before install the splicing required. The other upper cables are the generic toyota inputs so they are all the same hence the reason we can switch these scions in the toyotas so easily.

If you get the bottom cable with the radio I think you will see that it might have been an afterthought as it had some wiring that did not look factory but was. That bottom cable was the only one you can't buy from toyota, though I don't know if that has changed since I did the install.

So you need the cable from the bottom back of the radio, this should meet at a connector with the ipod port that goes in the dash. Then there is a wire from the port to the ipod. The ipod port and cable are available.

Looking at the auction listed, I am not certain but think the cable you see there is from the ipod to the plug only. Not the difficult to find wire. Though You might want to see if that cable is available now.

There are 3 cables in chain from that bottom port. 1st The wire I couldn't find and made my own, second the connector to ipod plug (the one spliced in in my pictures marked ipod), 3rd the ipod plug to ipod cable.

Hope this helps if it doesn't let me know.

Still works great.

John

It appears that the cable required out of the back of the head unit is now available. On EBAY

http://ads.auctionads.com/pagead/li...bay.com/billc41&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:CA:1181

Appears it is a custom job. I have no affiliation and have not used the cable. I just figured people might be interested. Looks a little cleaner than my custom job shown above.

John

I just bought a cable from this guy. i bought the one that takes the place of all three cables, you just run it to the console or the glove box for your hook up.
My deck isn't installed yet, so I can't say anything about how it works, but the cable looks great!
He charges $70 per cable, ships quick and packages it well.

YMMV

It appears that the cable required out of the back of the head unit is now available. On EBAY

http://ads.auctionads.com/pagead/li...bay.com/billc41&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:CA:1181

Appears it is a custom job. I have no affiliation and have not used the cable. I just figured people might be interested. Looks a little cleaner than my custom job shown above.

John
hey john, i have the same problem, bought the pioneer t1806 and cant find the cable, can you help me contact the guy selling them for $70 thank you, rich

The cable you have to get with it is the bottom cable. The one circled in green. You can see in my last picture before install the splicing required. The other upper cables are the generic toyota inputs so they are all the same hence the reason we can switch these scions in the toyotas so easily.

If you get the bottom cable with the radio I think you will see that it might have been an afterthought as it had some wiring that did not look factory but was. That bottom cable was the only one you can't buy from toyota, though I don't know if that has changed since I did the install.

So you need the cable from the bottom back of the radio, this should meet at a connector with the ipod port that goes in the dash. Then there is a wire from the port to the ipod. The ipod port and cable are available.

Looking at the auction listed, I am not certain but think the cable you see there is from the ipod to the plug only. Not the difficult to find wire. Though You might want to see if that cable is available now.

There are 3 cables in chain from that bottom port. 1st The wire I couldn't find and made my own, second the connector to ipod plug (the one spliced in in my pictures marked ipod), 3rd the ipod plug to ipod cable.

Hope this helps if it doesn't let me know.

Still works great.

John
or how much would you charge me to make a custom one and mail to San Jose, CA? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom