Tune up knowledge needed:87 fj 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of prepping the recently transplanted Utah rig for California smog (no wise cracks here:) ). So I have some questions:

-The OC Sensor connector: where is this located so I can run the test from the emission manual? (i don't want to tear up my bling carpeting if I don't have to)

-ACV inspection (pg 3-24 emissions manual): For the life of me, I can't get those big old hoses off for test. These are the big mothers. Any advice here other than cutting them off?

-HAC valve (pg 3-34 emissions manual): How do you get the top off to clean the filters inside? (same question for the Vacuum modulator).

-There is somekind of sensor located under the intake manifold, just aft (tward the rear) of the exaust pipe/exaust manifold connection. I couldn't find it in any of the manuals. Any ideas?

-The pointless pickup in the distributor has a black plastic cover. I can't measure the gap with the cover in place. How does one remove this cover?

-Idle speed adjusting screw and fast idle adjusting screw: I believe these are located the same side of the carburator and under the accelerator pump. The manual says to adjust with air filter in place. Well, the screws seem to be well hidden by the air filter housing. How do you guys get to these to adjust?

-Finally: Well, when I removed the airfilter housing to change out the carburator vacuum lines, I didn't take a picture of the vacuum tube routing on the distributor side of the engine. I though it was in the emmission manual, guess what? it isn't. Do any of you have the routing of the tubes (like a picture)? As an example: I know that one of the two tubes that goes to the distributor cap goes into the firewall. How about the other?

This is my first time digging into the 60's innards, so forgive any simplistic questions:)

Hope this helps.

Live to Ski said:
I am in the process of prepping the recently transplanted Utah rig for California smog (no wise cracks here:) ). So I have some questions:

-The OC Sensor connector: where is this located so I can run the test from the emission manual? (i don't want to tear up my bling carpeting if I don't have to) The connector is located under the center console. the probe sticks into the front end of the catalytic converter

-ACV inspection (pg 3-24 emissions manual): For the life of me, I can't get those big old hoses off for test. These are the big mothers. Any advice here other than cutting them off? Yeah, they're tough. I used a bent tool like a cotter pin extrator and run it around between the hose and nipple to break the seal. Be careful because the tube can become brittle. When I reassemble, I use silicone dielectric grease to keep it from sticking again.

-HAC valve (pg 3-34 emissions manual): How do you get the top off to clean the filters inside? (same question for the Vacuum modulator). I think the filter is on the bottom (the side with one port). There's a cover that twists or snaps off.

-There is somekind of sensor located under the intake manifold, just aft (tward the rear) of the exaust pipe/exaust manifold connection. I couldn't find it in any of the manuals. Any ideas? If it's attached to a piece of sheet metal and has one wire running to it, then it's the temperature switch for the carburetor cooling fan.

-The pointless pickup in the distributor has a black plastic cover. I can't measure the gap with the cover in place. How does one remove this cover? The 2f engine manual shows it's held down by a single screw. But there is no spec given for gap. I don't think you need to measure the gap--these are pointless distributors.

-Idle speed adjusting screw and fast idle adjusting screw: I believe these are located the same side of the carburator and under the accelerator pump. The manual says to adjust with air filter in place. Well, the screws seem to be well hidden by the air filter housing. How do you guys get to these to adjust? I use a long skinny screwdriver and can access these two screws with the air cleaner on. What I can't get to is the idle mixture screw, which is on the side next to the valve cover. The idle mixture and speed screws are used to set the carburetor ilde circuit using the lean drop method.

-Finally: Well, when I removed the airfilter housing to change out the carburator vacuum lines, I didn't take a picture of the vacuum tube routing on the distributor side of the engine. I though it was in the emmission manual, guess what? it isn't. Do any of you have the routing of the tubes (like a picture)? As an example: I know that one of the two tubes that goes to the distributor cap goes into the firewall. How about the other? the schematic at the bottom of page 3-3 is comprehensive. This post has a pic

This is my first time digging into the 60's innards, so forgive any simplistic questions:)

2mbb,

Sorry it took me so long to agnoledge the response. I finally am hooked up to the net.......no more running to the library!

The OC Sensor connector...... Located under the center console: Do I have to pull the center console to test?

There is somekind of sensor located under the intake manifold.... if this is the temp sensor for the carb fan, what is the sensor located on top of the valve cover just back from the carborator housing?

The pointless pickup......I my tech manual (pg 2-11, figure 2-29 of engine repair manual) does show a gap spec for the pointless air gap. I don't recall seeing the single screw tie down for the black cap. What page and what manual are you referencing?

-Idle speed adjusting screw..........well, I can't even see those screws, much less adjust them. What's the trick here?

-Finally: Well, when I removed the airfilter housing to change out the carburator vacuum lines, I didn't take a picture of the vacuum tube routing..........I looked at page 3-3, it doesn't really talk about all the lines (like the 2 vacuum lines that hook up to the distributor cap, there also is another line that runs to the top of the aircleaner housing. That picture you reference in the above post is zoomed in too close for me to see where the end of the tubes go. Do you have a more zoomed out shot of that side of the engine?

One other question: on the forward drivers side of the carborator, there is a vacuum dashpot type gizmo with a rod going to a low area of the carborator. This is in adition to the choke breaker and the choke opener vacuum actuators. I don't think this is the secondary actuator as this item I am refering to is above that (I will have to learn how to post pictures).

Thanks again

Live to Ski said:
2mbb,

Sorry it took me so long to agnoledge the response. I finally am hooked up to the net.......no more running to the library!

The OC Sensor connector...... Located under the center console: Do I have to pull the center console to test? Yes. It's only four screws.

There is somekind of sensor located under the intake manifold.... if this is the temp sensor for the carb fan, what is the sensor located on top of the valve cover just back from the carborator housing? Here's a picture of where the carb fan temp sensor is https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1356443&postcount=3. It's hanging off of a pipe connected to the EGR valve. I think the electrical sensor located on the top of the head rear of the carburetor is for the water temperature gauge.

The pointless pickup......I my tech manual (pg 2-11, figure 2-29 of engine repair manual) does show a gap spec for the pointless air gap. I don't recall seeing the single screw tie down for the black cap. What page and what manual are you referencing? OK. I've never adjusted that gap. If you look on page 8-19 figure 8-52 in the 2F engine manual, you will see a screw next to part 4. when I first looked at it, it looked like it was a screw that held part 4 on (the cover), but it could be the screw that holds part 5. Other than that screw, it doesn't look like anything is holding that cover on (except friction and/or gravity).

-Idle speed adjusting screw..........well, I can't even see those screws, much less adjust them. What's the trick here? If I put my cheek on the fender and sight through the carburetor linkage I can just see the head of the idle speed screw (firewall side of the carb, closest to the carb. I use a long skinny screwdriver to adjust this. I've never had to adjust the high idle speed screw. I have to remove the air cleaner to get to the idle mixture screw. I use a 6" screw driver and set it into the screw head and rest the handle against the valve cover so I can alternate between the idle mixture and idle speed.

-Finally: Well, when I removed the airfilter housing to change out the carburator vacuum lines, I didn't take a picture of the vacuum tube routing..........I looked at page 3-3, it doesn't really talk about all the lines (like the 2 vacuum lines that hook up to the distributor cap, there also is another line that runs to the top of the aircleaner housing. That picture you reference in the above post is zoomed in too close for me to see where the end of the tubes go. Do you have a more zoomed out shot of that side of the engine?The schematic at the bottom of 3-3 does show all the components, as far as I know. However, here is another diagram from the parts microfiche. There does seem to be a difference between the parts diagramand the page 3-3 schematic with respect to connecting that one VCV. My truck is connected according to the diagram below. The tubing coming from the top of VCV 23275 goes to that port on the passenger side of the air cleaner.

One other question: on the forward drivers side of the carborator, there is a vacuum dashpot type gizmo with a rod going to a low area of the carborator. This is in adition to the choke breaker and the choke opener vacuum actuators. I don't think this is the secondary actuator as this item I am refering to is above that (I will have to learn how to post pictures) Yeah, pictures help a lot...The secondary diaphragm is the large diaphragm on the drivers side of the carb towards the front. There is an "undocumented" diaphragm installed on the front of the carb. It also has an adjusting screw. This is for the Air Conditioning idle up circuit. I say it's undocumented, because I can't find reference to it in any of my manuals. If this is set incorrectly, then either the a/c compressor won't engage or the engine RPM will surge when the a/c compressor kicks on..

Thanks again

I hope this helps. mbb.
vacuum piping.jpg

Last edited:
mbb, you are the man! Thanks for setting me straight. I'll check into the airconditioning kick up actuator now that I know what it is.

Thanks again

I'm getting dizzy just listening to you guys go back and forth. I have almost no clue what you're talking about.

Great diagram of the emmissions spagetti. I'll need this when I finally get my 2F block back from the machine shop and I can start bolting everything together.

Thanks,

Matt

Live to Ski said:
mrsvle,

What year/model your riding?

An 83 FJ60. I've had it for over 10 years now and I'm right in the middle of rebuilding the engine. The block is at the machine shop right now, I'm getting it bored 1 mm over, I should be getting it back this week so I can finally start the process of putting everything back together. I've already rebuild the carb, I had the cylinder head done at the shop, I also took the opportunity to remove and reseal the power steering gearbox which has been leaking for a long time. There's plenty of other upgrades I'd like to do like a front locker and a five-speed transmission, but I think I had better finish the engine rebuild before starting on something else.

A great way to spend evenings and weekends.

Off to San Diego? New job? Good Luck. Plenty of Cruiserheads in SD.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom