Installing H55F with FJ62 '89 Split T-Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey cavecreek,
I have NO input on this subject, I just wanted to wish you luck with the install, and I look forward to hearing/ seeing the progression and learning from it as well.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Chicago

My conversion docs Stupid Long!

I can not attach word or excel docs so I cut and paste, ouch! Here follows my original write up and then some new comments before the spreadsheet data.

Writeup:
I put a new H55F into my 1988 FJ62 and love it.

I bought a new Toyota unit and new OEM clutch, shifter, knob, slave and master cylinders, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch fork dust boot, and 5th gear oilier funnel.
I purchased used late model FJ60 parts including drive shafts, bell housing, clutch cover, pedal assembly, hydraulic line, transmission tunnel plate, shifter boot, clutch fork, throw out bearing carrier and flywheel.

You have to fabricate a cross member because the H55F is shorter than the A440F. The late FJ60 cross member would not line up on the frame rails. I used an early FJ60 cross member and welded ½” plate steel to the frame with holed drilled in it for bolting the short cross member.

To get the pedal assembly into position you have to remove the instrument cluster and unbolt and lower the steering column and unbolt and suspend the brake master cylinder. I used a Greenlee punch to make the hole for the master cylinder. There is no guesswork for doing this because the hole positions are stamped onto the firewall for the master cylinder and the 2 bolt holes.

You will also need longer bolts to hold the Tcase to the H55F. You can use the FJ62 Tcase shifter and boot but the linkage will need to be shortened. You will also have to fabricate a plate to cover the hole where the Automatic shifter was attached which was not hard at all, use the rubber gasket from beneath the auto shifter as a template and then as a gasket for the new plate.

Do not use the 2 spacers from behind the old flywheel. You will have to remove the top cover from the H55F in order to stab the whole assembly into the engine. I did not anticipate this and did not have a new gasket on hand but the old one stayed intact. The FSM shows the stabbing procedure with the bell housing already mounted to the engine but this is impossible because it the bolts that mount it are not accessible that way.

No one could tell me what the 5th gear oilier funnel actually does or where it goes but I finally figured that out just before I was going to give up on it. It actually mounts on the front half of the Tcase between the Tcase and the transfer adapter (that houses the 5th gear). There is not a hole so I guess that it gets oil splashed into the top of it which is redirected at the 5th gear shaft.

The final drive is shorter than it was with the A440F overdrive and I wish that I had bought 33’s instead of the BFG AT 31’s I am running as I have the stock 411diffs. 1st gear is a granny but I start out in it often. I shift into 4th gear by 40mph and 5th by 45 unless I am only going a couple of blocks. I have not had a chance to wheel with it yet but there is plenty of low gear. This truck should have been imported with the H55F! Before this conversion I put a rebuilt A440F that I bought from a vortec lister in the truck and it lasted less than 4k miles. Don’t pay $750 plus shipping for a used A440F install a H55F.

New: I now run 33"x10.5 BFG ATs and the gearing is perfect. The crap below is cut and paste from my excel file. The formatting got screwed but things are in order according to the collumn headers. I got my new and used parts from Wimberly 4x4 in New Braunfelds Texas because they were close and Daniel delivered the parts as he was coming my way on business. Thge CP.net column indicated if the part was included in their conversion kit. I often did not know so there will be question marks.

Part (New Toyota) W4X4 price List price Sale price CP.net Kit
H55F 1552.47 2185.04 1852
Shifter 109.49 149.67 120
Knob 31.19 40.37 35
Toyota Clutch ? ? 275
Toyota Throwout ? ? 40
Toyota Slave Cylinder ? ? 45
Toyota Master Cylinder ? ? 45 ?
Toyota Pilot Bearing ? ? 15
Flexible Hydrl lines ? ? 28 Y

Total New Parts Paid 2455
Tax Ck#3765 202.5375
Used 87' FJ60 parts
Transfer Case linkage Not Used 100 0 Y
Bell housing 100 Y
Drive Shafts 325 Y
Pedal Assembly 40 Y
Sheet metal for hump 10 Y
Shifter boot 10 Y
Flywheel 40 Y
Metal hydrolic lines 25 Y
Clips for flex lines 0 Y
Junction box 0 Y
Crossmember & Mounts 50 Y
Shipping 65
Sub total used parts 600 815
Tax 0.0825 49.5
Total Used parts 649.5

Total 3307.0375
tax total 252.0375
No Tax Total 3055

I have some photos as well but do not have time to re-size them today.

Dunbar

sweet man, looks like a good mad, when my auto goes out ill be doing the same, an di have a 60 bh i was going to sell but not now!

tomball, dam dude we should do hit up spring Creek some time! i have a flat black fj40 on 35's ssr and a goldish fj62 if you ever see me say something!

Thanks for the parts list Dunbar. I reviewed and found I have ordered most of them, but still need a few things.

Still need:
T-Case linkage
Junction Box

So, did your t-case change positions? I'm trying to understand why he linkage changes, and which T-case did the replacement linkage come from?

I'm in left field on the junction box. What is that for?

I did want to make mention of some of the places I getting parts.

I mentioned up-stream that I got parts from...
Cruiser Outfitters. That was incorrect. I can hardly get any response from that bunch and the responses I do get are not very knowledgeable.

I ordered my H55F from CoolCruisers.com on Sept 18th and have not even received a notice of shipment yet, 20 days later. I've talked to two different people and they still cannot confirm a delivery date. Oh, and they charged my credit card on day 1. They did order the tranny brand new from Toyota so I'm sure that took some time, but they could at least give some sort of expected date!!

Cruiserparts.net has been very helpful on the phone with getting good priced used and new parts. They mailed the in Stock parts within a day of the order. They did boast having the most complete parts list that comes with the H55F included in the price, and they also have a complete parts list assembled for the A440F to H55F conversion. If you tell them what your doing, they already know what is needed and can send the parts in one order. This beats going around and trying to find parts all over and hoping you haven't forgotten any thing.

So, I'm still waiting on parts......More later from Cave Creek, AZ

I actually could not use the Tcase linkage from the 87' model FJ60. I wound up using my FJ62 linkage but you have to shorted the connector rod.

Heck, I do not remember what the junction box is and do not think I needed one.

At the time the guy from Cruiserparts told me he had only done a couple of conversions and did not remember exactly what was needed mod wise.

I got my H55F and the used parts from the guy here in Texas because he had the used stuff and ordered the new stuff quick. He also delivered.

I will dig up my pics and try to re-size for mud.

Dunbar

The carnage started two days ago!

I'm finally digging into the conversion. I've removed everything regarding the A440F and I'm now trying to separate the T-case from the A440F.

My plan was to send the T-case to a shop and have them rebuild it for me while I'm doing cluth/brake pedals, etc.

I having problems getting the T-case off the A440F. I tried to disconnect it where the spacer bolts into the engine, but could not get the housing to break loose. I thought there maybe something inside holding it all together. I've never taken one of these apart and the books I have only explain dismantling the t-case.

So, can the t-case be taken off intact, or do I have to take it apart to get it detached from the the A440F?

Thanks Baldredhead!

I figured as much! I'm not ready to tear into the gears. I monkeyed around with some of that years ago and just faced that fact that it pays to have an experienced well tooled mechanic on site!

So, I'm going the easy way out. My mechanic said he would take my A440F and transfercase, disassemble, rebuild as needed, and reassemble on the H55F.

This should help speed things up as well. I can drop in the rear main seal, flywheel, clutch hydrolics, etc.. during that time.

To one of Dunbar's notes regarding the insertion of the H55F. My mechanic said to go ahead and mount the bellhousing and that I should be able to secure the bellhousing to the H55F with the flywheel cover off.

Dunbar had mentioned mounting the bellhousing to the H55F and removing the top of the H55F to align things properly during insertion.

Dunbar any further comments? I'll be doing my assessment as well.

As always thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, you have to bolt the bell housing to the engine before the stab because the bolts are internal. Then I had to take the top panel off of the H55F to get it in position. Now I did this in my garage without a lift but just jack stands and a transmission jack.

I will have to re-read my writeup to remember the fine points and will do so soon.

Did I send you my pics?

Dunbar

cavecreekcruiser said:
Thanks Baldredhead!

I figured as much! I'm not ready to tear into the gears. I monkeyed around with some of that years ago and just faced that fact that it pays to have an experienced well tooled mechanic on site!

So, I'm going the easy way out. My mechanic said he would take my A440F and transfercase, disassemble, rebuild as needed, and reassemble on the H55F.

This should help speed things up as well. I can drop in the rear main seal, flywheel, clutch hydrolics, etc.. during that time.

To one of Dunbar's notes regarding the insertion of the H55F. My mechanic said to go ahead and mount the bellhousing and that I should be able to secure the bellhousing to the H55F with the flywheel cover off.

Dunbar had mentioned mounting the bellhousing to the H55F and removing the top of the H55F to align things properly during insertion.

Dunbar any further comments? I'll be doing my assessment as well.

As always thanks for everyone's input.

Hey Dunbar, could I also get a copy of your write-up and any helpful information about the H55 swap, please?

It is A LOT easier to do a swap if someone has done it already and can fill you in on how to go about it.

Andrew

Dunbar''s going to start charging consulting fee's!! ...and rightfully so.

Dunbar,
I'm not getting your first comment. I first understood you to say I shouldn't bolt the bell housing to the 3FE first,but to bolt the bellhousing to the tranny first because the bellhousing bolts were internal.

I thought you bolted the bellhousing to the tranny, enabling you to reach the internal BH bolts. If you had bolted the bell housing to the engine first, you couldn't reach thiose bolts to torque.

So where did I miss the mark?

So did I miss read your comment?

Bell housing to engine or to tranny first?

It's 2am here and I'm spent, so i'll go back tomorrow and read your notes again!

Thanks for your willingness to help!

My writeup is above in post #22. Also, search this forum for Dunbar and H55F and you will find a long post including parts list etc. I can email the pics direct to you.

Dunbar

daddyo said:
Hey Dunbar, could I also get a copy of your write-up and any helpful information about the H55 swap, please?

It is A LOT easier to do a swap if someone has done it already and can fill you in on how to go about it.

Andrew

Dunbar said:
My writeup is above in post #22. Also, search this forum for Dunbar and H55F and you will find a long post including parts list etc. I can email the pics direct to you.

Dunbar

I am a rocket scientist :)

I'll read post #22 and search for the rest. If I need pictures, I will shoot you a message.

Thanks.

Andrew

So far I have replaced the rear main seal, inserted the pilot bearing, mounted the bellhousing, mounted the new flywheel, mounted the clutch and pressure plate, and assembled the clutch fork, through out bearing and pivot.

Tomorrow I start on trying to figure out the pedals and clutch master cylindar location.

I got the H55F and Transfercase from the shop yesterday and installed it today. Instead of removing the top of the tranny like Dunbar suggested, I cut the sheet metal on th hump about 4" and bent the metal back. After that, it went right in. The metal will bend back down and be covered no problem.

I shorten and rethreaded the T-case shift linkage before I mount the tranny.

The I got a 87 fj60 tranny mount and crossmember and doesn't seem to match up to the H55F. The angle on the mount is fine, but the two mount plates are smaller than what should go on the H55F.

Also, I wondering about the location of the mount. The mount is right in front of the T-case front drive shaft mount. If I put the mount where is supposed to go, I can't get the drive shaft on.

Dunbar,
What mount did you use and where did it attach to the H55F?

One thing to mention is that the mechanic removed te t-case from the A440F and did not use the spacer from the A440F. He said the spacer would not mount up to the H55F. I looked at it and agreed. The pattern didn't match up.

The result is that the T-case is closer to the front. This may be the problem with the mount and the t-case front driveshaft mount being to close together. Anyone have any input on that?

If I can get this figured out and get the drive shafts on, I'll be all done except for reinstalling the interior.

We gutted the inside and replaced all the carpet and padding. The truck is amazingly clean. No rust anywhere!! After we pulled the carpet, we cleaned the floor and it looks brand new end to end!! We're pleased with that!

Dunbar, do you drive though the woodlands alot?

cavecreekcruiser said:
Anyone have any input on that?

Mark did you have pics of the t-case and front drive shaft poition . ?

Pics of H55F mounted to 3FE and split t-case

I emailed pics to Tapage on your hotmail account.

I try to insert a few here for the others to view.

You can see that the H55F mount location is right in front of the t-case front drive shaft mount.

P4170573.JPG

P4170567.JPG

P4170568.JPG
P4170573.JPG
P4170567.JPG
P4170568.JPG

You have a very dangerour angle on this single join at the t-case ( front drive shaft )

How much lift you have . ?

I thought I have those problems as I'm SO and Shackle reversal ..

See mine ..

CV.JPG

and here ..

8degrees.JPG

and this is a pic of my t-case without front driveshaft ..

I have a spring over lift adding about 6" of lift.

I realize the angle of the front d-shaft needs to be modified. I wanted to get the transmission mount modified first before changing any angles on differentials.

I actually lowered the previous tranny mount with some 1" spacers when I had the lift done.

The cross member Ihave does not have the indention for the d-shaft like yours. What make a model is your cross member from?

Cruiserparts.net went me the wrong flywheel cover the first time, I'm wondering if they sent the wrong cross member and tranny mount too! Mine is supposed to be from an 87 fj60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom