Finally a new 4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In case you've been living under a rock or never read anything on the internet related to cars, Toyota finally released details of the new 4Runner. I've been wondering where it would slot into the lineup with the new US Land Cruiser that's based on the same platform as the GX/Prado and sort of the Tacoma. Thoughts?

The technology (and the hyperbole and the marketing) are mind blowing.

That said, Angie and I just bought a 2018. And its level of tech intimidates me. KDSS, Crawl Control, Terrain Select, ATRAC???
I do understand the rear locker and the honest-to-god mechanical T-case lever.

Still, I long for the days of locking hubs and when overlanding was called camping, or in my family's case: boondocking.
I'm gettin' old.
Solution.jpg

Still, I long for the days of locking hubs and when overlanding was called camping, or in my family's case: boondocking.
I'm gettin' old

You and me both. There is something about shifting into something that doesn't require sensors, relays, computers, and electric motors.

1712838771356.png

What’s old is new again

The technology (and the hyperbole and the marketing) are mind blowing.

That said, Angie and I just bought a 2018. And its level of tech intimidates me. KDSS, Crawl Control, Terrain Select, ATRAC???

I'm gettin' old. View attachment 3603966
Since Jon already said it, yes, you are old. Even I'm getting close to that label. I really like that my '02 and '10 4Rs have a t-case lever. The '10 is a Trails Edition so it has all the KDSS, Crawl Control, HDC, rear locker, and so on. I hate the way crawl control and hill descent control work, by just applying brakes. Just let me pick low range and a low gear and I can do all that stuff on my own. My '99 LC has a shift lever and none of the electronics gadgets besides the rear e-locker. I hope I can keep it forever. The '05 4R has a dial on the dash. I don't like it. But I do like the multi-mode transmission, traction control, etc. because I can select 2H, 4H unlocked, 4H locked, and 4L locked. It's a fantastic vehicle for my daughter to drive on icy/snowy/muddy roads around the East Mountains. The '02 has the same trans modes too. The '10 is just good old 2H, 4H (locked) and 4L.

Since Jon already said it, yes, you are old. Even I'm getting close to that label. I really like that my '02 and '10 4Rs have a t-case lever. The '10 is a Trails Edition so it has all the KDSS, Crawl Control, HDC, rear locker, and so on. I hate the way crawl control and hill descent control work, by just applying brakes. Just let me pick low range and a low gear and I can do all that stuff on my own. My '99 LC has a shift lever and none of the electronics gadgets besides the rear e-locker. I hope I can keep it forever. The '05 4R has a dial on the dash. I don't like it. But I do like the multi-mode transmission, traction control, etc. because I can select 2H, 4H unlocked, 4H locked, and 4L locked. It's a fantastic vehicle for my daughter to drive on icy/snowy/muddy roads around the East Mountains. The '02 has the same trans modes too. The '10 is just good old 2H, 4H (locked) and 4L.
Guess it depends on what one grew up with... My daughters can't conceive of life pre-smart phone. And neither can I, frankly, even though I look back on that time with fondness.

On my 2010 GX460, there's a DAC, Downhill Assist Control, button. Tried it once on a loose , steep trail descent .
This "feature" made the vehicle slide and loose traction. The antilock brake system kept kicking in and out, with the DAC engaged. Yikes, No thanks!!:censor:
I can control my 4x4, way better with left foot brake/right foot gas technique way better than this.👍
Maybe works on icy highway, but not off road, IMHO.:steer::oops:
I do like KDSS and ATRAC, off road, though. ATRAC is like having lockers, that kicks in when the tires loose some traction. Just have to , wait for it, a second or two. Then up and over anything.

Last edited:
DAC relies on the correct diameter of your tires so that the ABS can keep up with slowing you down. I think you went to 33"? if that's the case, your ECU is totally confused with the rate of rotation from the ABS tone rings. That's probably why the system is misbehaving. ATRAC is impacted by your tire size too, maybe not as much?

DAC relies on the correct diameter of your tires so that the ABS can keep up with slowing you down. I think you went to 33"? if that's the case, your ECU is totally confused with the rate of rotation from the ABS tone rings. That's probably why the system is misbehaving. ATRAC is impacted by your tire size too, maybe not as much?
Thanks. Good points. I still like to be in control of the situation in low range. :steer:

I'm glad that there's no shortage of folks out there that are eager and willing to purchase first year production of any model

I engaged the system on my '05 4R with stock Michelin Defender tires on a dirt road descent. It was making all kinds of crazy noises and not doing a great job of controlling speed either. I'll just put it in 4LO and put the transmission in 1st gear to control downhill speeds.

I'm glad that there's no shortage of folks out there that are eager and willing to purchase first year production of any model
Then there's me: wait until it's been out a few years, they've worked the bugs out, then wait another 10 years to get a used one.

Then there's me: wait until it's been out a few years, they've worked the bugs out, then wait another 10 years to get a used one.
That's why we have a '47 Packard in the garage: by now they've worked out all the bugs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom