This is probably going to be very unliked, but this is just like my opinion man. This is my issue with the LC250 (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I'm one of the few Toyota is marketing for. I loved my FJ80 but decided to get rid of it for safety features like air bags, abs..etc, with my family. I would never consider the 100 or 200 series. They never looked good to me. When the 250 was announced it was a dream come true for me. The old FJ80 look mixed with a little FJ60 and modern lines. Packed with safety features for my family. There was no question I was going to get one.
I couldn't be happier with what Toyota has done with the 250.

I was kind of dreaming that the 6G 4R would be smaller than the 5G or the same size. Instead it somehow seems to have gotten bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside. From the videos you can kind of see/guess that the extra length went to the hatch area, maybe for the 3rd row that I don't want.
I think the room went to the long hood and setback sloped windshield. The driver's seat is probably 6 inches further aft from the front bumper than the 5th gen. Even with the 4 inch longer body, it looks like the cabin may be shorter. The most obvious spot where this compromise shows up is the rear side door. The window is really narrow and the door is intruded more by the rear fender cutout.

As an alternative - why not make the 4Runner a 4Runner again? Sell it with a red hat that says "M4RGA" pronounced mergha. It'll confuse everyone.

The formula is pretty easy: 3rd gen 4Runner dimensions and layout.

Then offer the LC250 in the range of trims going on the new 4Runner and TRD OR and up get the hd running gear.

The Sequoia slots in where the LC300 would in other markets. No need IMO to duplicate that. Sequoia just needs an awd option without the hybrid.

That's it - the full lineup just like toyota already does with the Rav4, Highlander, GH. Now you have 3 models all clearly segmented with no need to artificially handicap models and trims to make it try to make sense. Something for everyone right in the heart of each category. Something for the enthusiasts and marketing. Everyone wins including sales volume and profit margins.

If Toyota wants to expand - build a short wheelbase FJ Cruiser with a removeable top.
That would make sense.

I would be sold on the standard Sequioa. While much smaller, a modernized 3rd gen could be a fun little run about.

It just seems that Toyota puts its best foot forward with the GX and did an ok job in doing so. The problem stemmed from Toyota essentially saying hey engineers, we want to arrive at the same end point in the LC and 4R as we did in the GX, BUT, but make it look different and use some different parts the perform in a similar manner under 98 percent of use cases.

I guess I'm one of the few Toyota is marketing for. I loved my FJ80 but decided to get rid of it for safety features like air bags, abs..etc, with my family. I would never consider the 100 or 200 series. They never looked good to me. When the 250 was announced it was a dream come true for me. The old FJ80 look mixed with a little FJ60 and modern lines. Packed with safety features for my family. There was no question I was going to get one.
I couldn't be happier with what Toyota has done with the 250.

Thats cool man and im not trying to discount that need at all. Im just saying that they are not offering an entire segment of folks with anything and instead offering folks like yourself like 7 different flavors of the same thing more or less. The GX being the exception. Could you imagine something like your fj80... except with airbags and modern lines and motor? Thats what im suggesting in the 250 land cruiser with solid axles here. That would have been a true call back to a land cruiser tbh.

ehhhhhh.

You are correct the the 250 grew to the size of the 200, but the 200 was not really a full size vehicle, When you look at the 6th gen and compare it to say a Sequoia or Yukon or Armada, its tiny. its almost a foot shorter and roughly 6 inches less shoulder room.

It may be a larger midsize vehicle but it’s still a midsize vehicle.
The 200 is significantly larger than the 4th and 5th gen 4Runner. The 6th gen 4Runner is basically the size of the 200 and is this significantly larger than the 5th Gen.

Apparently I was unable to get that point across.

My suspicion — since the 4Runner and LC250 share virtually all the same parts except body and a few nick-knacks, it didn’t cost Toyota much to design and manufacture the LC250. From their point of view (my guess) is that they don’t care which vehicle you buy / just buy one of them.
The LC250 gives the illusion of choice but really it’s just a 4Runner variant with a different name.
Nothing wrong with that — except maybe…. the land cruiser didn’t actually come back to North America, an imposter did.

My suspicion — since the 4Runner and LC250 share virtually all the same parts except body and a few nick-knacks, it didn’t cost Toyota much to design and manufacture the LC250.
The Torsen center diff is a nick-knack? 🤷‍♂️

Now that I have seen the styling and trim levels of the 4Runner I see what they are doing and it is probably going to work. For my money I will take the new GX because I honestly can't imagine how anyone off roads without massage seats. I think the Land Cruiser has a different style and appeal compared to TRD or Trailhunter 4Runners even if they are similar in price and major features.

ehhhhhh.

You are correct the the 250 grew to the size of the 200, but the 200 was not really a full size vehicle..
Really? The 200 is freakin' huge IMO. The 250 is close, just one inch shorter.

Agreed that the 250 is too similar to the new 4Runner. There is rumor of a smaller "Land Cruiser" in the works. I would like to see that happen.

After more reflection, I realized that Toyota might again be trying to emulate GM (Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade).

My suspicion — since the 4Runner and LC250 share virtually all the same parts except body and a few nick-knacks, it didn’t cost Toyota much to design and manufacture the LC250. From their point of view (my guess) is that they don’t care which vehicle you buy / just buy one of them.
The LC250 gives the illusion of choice but really it’s just a 4Runner variant with a different name.
Nothing wrong with that — except maybe…. the land cruiser didn’t actually come back to North America, an imposter did.

yeah i think that is the best explanation of it ive seen so far honestly

The Torsen center diff is a nick-knack? 🤷‍♂️
id say it is. like i said earlier, im probably in the minority on this but torsen center diff is a net negative to me. I like snow drifting way too much for full time 4wd. Also its nice unlock the hubs and put it in 2wd when you have front end gremlins going on. Also if you are on a hill in some loose stuff like sand, you can just put it in 2wd and give it a lot of gas and slightly bury the rear tires and boom your wheels are chocked and not rolling backwards.

Id rather take that torsen. Put it in the garbage. And have a helical limited slip in the rear diff that also had a locker via electromagnet like the ram power wagons have... or if you really like the torsen mechanism (as a lsd they unlock when you get off throttle and coast. Sucks for snow drifting) then a similar rear diff to the TJ rubicon that had a torsen lsd and an air locker

Last edited:
yeah i think that is the best explanation of it ive seen so far honestly

id say it is. like i said earlier, im probably in the minority on this but torsen center diff is a net negative to me. I like snow drifting way too much for full time 4wd. Also its nice unlock the hubs and put it in 2wd when you have front end gremlins going on. Also if you are on a hill in some loose stuff like sand, you can just put it in 2wd and give it a lot of gas and slightly bury the rear tires and boom your wheels are chocked and not rolling backwards.

Id rather take that torsen. Put it in the garbage. And have a helical limited slip in the rear diff that also had a locker via electromagnet like the ram power wagons have... or if you really like the torsen mechanism (as a lsd they unlock when you get off throttle and coast. Sucks for snow drifting) then a similar rear diff to the TJ rubicon that had a torsen lsd and an air locker
I live where it snows and I spend 2 weeks each summer out on the beach. I disagree with just about everything you've written. The Torsen diff is excellent all around.

I live where it snows and I spend 2 weeks each summer out on the beach. I disagree with just about everything you've written. The Torsen diff is excellent all around.
I guess. I just put it in 4hi when it snows. Then when i want to have fun I put it in 2 high. drifting an open diff full time 4wd sucks. The power is always constantly hunting for the tire with the least traction. Driving is a lot of fun to me. Full time 4wd removes some of that fun

But I prefer snowboarding and the Land Cruiser… although out of the new Toyota triplets I’m leaning towards the GX because I’m boujee and want my back massaged while driving to the slopes.
I think if you snowboard, but still say "apres-ski" then Lexus will let you buy a GX so you should be good.

At first, I thought the new 4R looked terrible. It's growing on me, but I still much prefer the looks of LC — inside and out. I'm tempted to move my LC deposit to a 4R, though. It's probably a better value. An ORP could be $10k cheaper.

I do not like the Fender flares on the TRDpro 4R. The matte black on the Trailhunter is slightly less offensive. It's still too big for my taste.
I'm a technology guy, but the screen is too big in the 4R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom