79 stalling/cutting out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I’ve got a minor problem with a 2015 79 series V8 which cuts out just after startup.

Starts fine, runs for a few seconds then stops. Crank it over and it turns for 5 or 6 seconds before starting again then it runs fine, drives fine, no issues.

Almost always starts hot just fine, about half the time it does this when cold. Doesn’t throw a CEL, no fault codes stored.

Anyone come across this and can direct me where to start?

Cheers

Possibly a small air leak in the fuel system?
Thanks coldtaco

I’ll have a look and see if I can find anything. Do you think I’d see or hear it?

I have been considering the possibility of fuel pump relay sticking, perhaps causing the fuel rail pressure to drop on first startup. This might account for the very predictable time between first start and cut out? And working perfectly when it works

I’ve been trying to replicate the problem with a real time sensor reader attached to see if I can spot a problem with the FRP but so far it hasn’t happened when I’ve had the monitor attached.

Of its a leak I am guessing that it runs until the air gets to the pump. Then it dies. Then when you start it again the air bubble has passed and all fuel in the lines again, until the next time it has enough time to get another air bubble. If this is the case then that will be fun to find. Maybe time how long it runs before quitting then that might help to guess the approximate location of the air leak.

Fuel filter 'head' is a good place to start with chasing an air leak. A good option is to replace chassis to filter and filter to pump soft lines with clear hose then you can see if there are any air bubbles getting through.

If it's relatively cold then either bump up the fuel via the pedal or turn up the manual throttle.

Just reporting back, wouldn’t you know if I can’t get it to fault now.

I haven’t found any air leaks but will keep looking.

It occurs to me that it’s linked with inactivity, this car is not my daily driver and often sits for weeks without use. I keep the batteries charged and it does quite a few k’s when I do spark it up.

The first time it did it I’d not used the car for a couple of months and since then it’s been quite consistent in that if faults about half the time I start it cold. Not I’m starting it each day while trying to fault find I can’t replicate the fault at all. Not sure if there’s a link there, I can’t really link it but it’s an interesting observation none the less.

Cheers

Hi all

I’ve got a minor problem with a 2015 79 series V8 which cuts out just after startup.

Starts fine, runs for a few seconds then stops. Crank it over and it turns for 5 or 6 seconds before starting again then it runs fine, drives fine, no issues.

Almost always starts hot just fine, about half the time it does this when cold. Doesn’t throw a CEL, no fault codes stored.

Anyone come across this and can direct me where to start?

Cheers
Hi there,
My father has recently purchased a 2016 troop carrier that is having the same cut out problems on startup. Did you end up finding out what the problem was with your car? Thanks 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom