BudBuilt CATALYTIC CONVERTER GUARD installation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PM'd you.
Must be my slow internet connection, nothing yet from you.

But, if you PM me now, not only will i give you the Bud “ Cat guards” at that insane low price….but WAIT, there is more….i will throw in there a 5-pack Alley Key of various sizes… a value of $10 for free! But hold on, that’s not all! I will also throw in there a roll of Flex Tape to cover up your embarrassing rust spots on your old Land Cruiser and cover up the inevitable leak from AHC on your Lexus!

PM now! Forum trolls are waiting.

install took 30-45 mins. just remove the factory bolts circled in red and replace with the shorter bolt/washer from budbuilt. took it for a short drive, no vibration or noises.

8AFE1B3F-BC2F-4C5E-9623-92F1EDA1FDFE.jpeg

E5EBB7A5-3F44-4AED-8F9D-351C0C115A01.jpeg

Any thoughts on painting these with some high temp paint? Or just leave them bare stainless?

I'm leaning toward painting mine with this:

Picture1.png

TIA

i have a trip coming up so i’m pressed for time this week, i wanted to get these on. let us know how your paint holds up over time. maybe i’ll do it at some point. i like that it’s stainless so i don’t have to worry about rust

Not sure on the need for painting? I've had a bare stainless engine skid since spring 2020 and it still looks great.

I plan on getting these. Since they're stainless I won't paint it. But I will hit it with crc corrosion inhibitor during the yearly under coating.

Paint doesn't do a great job of staying on stainless steel anyway. I'd just leave them bare.

Must be my slow internet connection, nothing yet from you.

But, if you PM me now, not only will i give you the Bud “ Cat guards” at that insane low price….but WAIT, there is more….i will throw in there a 5-pack Alley Key of various sizes… a value of $10 for free! But hold on, that’s not all! I will also throw in there a roll of Flex Tape to cover up your embarrassing rust spots on your old Land Cruiser and cover up the inevitable leak from AHC on your Lexus!

PM now! Forum trolls are waiting.
I am holding out for a Ginsu knife.

Paint doesn't do a great job of staying on stainless steel anyway. I'd just leave them bare.

That certainly is the easy answer - sounds good to me.

There are some adhesive primers that do pretty well on stainless and then paint. Direct paint to stainless won't hold up well.

Mine shipped yesterday. I see the bolts facing the bottom are smooth headed which is a good thing. I'm considering some kind of security nuts, the kind that shear off. Perhaps something else will occur to me once I see them.

Mine shipped yesterday. I see the bolts facing the bottom are smooth headed which is a good thing. I'm considering some kind of security nuts, the kind that shear off. Perhaps something else will occur to me once I see them.
I ordered a set yesterday.
Please keep us in the loop if you go with any type of security nuts. I would be interested in learning about any upgrades like that.

I ordered a set yesterday.
Please keep us in the loop if you go with any type of security nuts. I would be interested in learning about any upgrades like that.
I've used these type before to secure my awning. They're kind of spendy though.
Amazon product ASIN B07KFN2G5D

I've used these type before to secure my awning. They're kind of spendy though.
Amazon product ASIN B07KFN2G5D
Ack! Don't do it! You will need to remove the shields for some reason someday and you'll just make it way hard. The bad guys who steal the cats aren't going to mess around with removing nuts and bolts anyway. They'll just move on to an easier target. They need speedy removals.

Agreed, those would make removing those shields for any maintenance a huge awful ordeal. I assume they would have to be ground off with a grinder.

It looks like from the photo they are providing carriage bolts for the crossmember?

Agreed, those would make removing those shields for any maintenance a huge awful ordeal. I assume they would have to be ground off with a grinder.

It looks like from the photo they are providing carriage bolts for the crossmember?
Installed mine last Fri and had same feeling about needing to remove them some day, for some reason. Correct on cross-member screw being a carriage bolt. Hex button head cap screws secure front section of plate.

Ack! Don't do it! You will need to remove the shields for some reason someday and you'll just make it way hard. The bad guys who steal the cats aren't going to mess around with removing nuts and bolts anyway. They'll just move on to an easier target. They need speedy removals.
I get it. But I'm not totally convinced how much of a deterrent these will be simply bolted as they appear to be. Grinding the bolts would be the only way to get to them. That would be precisely the point. The bad guys would have to do the same.

I guess I'll install them as they come and then decide.

Truck has 15K miles on it. If I actually go the security nut route the cats won't need any service for a very long while.

Vast majority of these bad guys aren't carrying any tools other than what they need to cut off a cat, usually a battery sawzall and maybe a jack if they are targeting smaller cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom