Welcome to Portland Metro Cruisers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nah - no fly fishers here!!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/fullsizerender-3-jpg.1520401/
or here
salmon fishing

i'm just waiting for my drive lines to come back from the shop and then my 62 is sporting a fresh 5 speed conversion. happy to meet up with anyone who wants to hear lessons learned....assuming my transmission doesn't fall out on the first shake down cruise!

I'd love to meet up to check out your handy work and glean some knowledge! Your thread and accompanying spread sheet is actually what inspired me to finally take on the project (and the knowledge that the old slush box has been a ticking time bomb for a while now, and the transfer is in bad need of a rebuild).

Good to know there are some fellow fly fishers on here! Trying to think if I know that gravel spit, is that out in the Tillamook area? Fall chinook?

Welcome aboard, @JTFJ62PDX!

Meetups are totally ad hoc and can be arranged by anyone. We had our first of the year a few weeks ago at Level Beer and they were pretty accommodating to us. I'd love to see your spare carrier since I'm in the market for one.

Also, you should talk to @Paul DiNapoli about his H55 upgrade which last I checked is still in progress.

Thanks @lechnito!

I'll post some pictures of the spare carrier tomorrow when I have some light. It's nothing too fancy. I picked up a spindle/bearing kit and latch from ruffstuff, fabbed up a frame and made a plate to mount the wheel (1/4 plate steel cut to fit the interior diameter of the spare wheel, used a transfer punch to lay out for lug locations, picked up some dorman lugs and drove em into the plate with a small sledge). I used some spray-can chassis epoxy enamel to paint the bumpers to get by for a while. The long term plan is to have the front and rear bumpers/spare carrier powder coated and eventually add some LED trail lights. Let me know if you want to meet up to take a closer look.

@lechnito Here's some shots of that tire carrier - nothing too difficult about it. There was a little bit of trial and error getting the latch to function properly though.

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Last edited:
Hi All!

Awesome to see a group of PNW LCs! I've owned my 1988 FJ62 for a couple years and I'm in downtown Vancouver. It'd be great to all meet up soon!

Welcome!

I've owned my cruiser for over a year now - and I've yet to be at any cruiser meetup...so I'd like to see one happen soon!

Morning! In the process of driving my (new to me) 1990 FJ62 back to Oregon from Colorado (currently in Montana). This is my first Cruiser and I'm looking forward to tapping into this community for insight and advice. Wanted to check in and introduce myself.

IMG_0823.JPG

welcome! pretty cool to get to do a decent road trip right from the start to get to know your rig.

I'm gonna give this thread a bump. I see the last post was 6/22. You guys do any meetings, rides, or shop days? I posted last Christmastime. I will be in Washougal again for Christmas, maybe even the entire month of January. It would be nice to meet some Toyota folks. I am looking to move out to Portland area within the next year.

I'm gonna give this thread a bump. I see the last post was 6/22. You guys do any meetings, rides, or shop days? I posted last Christmastime. I will be in Washougal again for Christmas, maybe even the entire month of January. It would be nice to meet some Toyota folks. I am looking to move out to Portland area within the next year.

Hiya Ryno!

yeah - the portland cruiser group seems to be a shy one. I've had my fj62 for 2 years and I've only met 2 or 3 folks...but we've had no gathering that i know of.

anyone out there want to plan a gathering? could be over beers...or in a parking lot - or whatevs. i'd be into something.

happy holidays to everyone!
paul

I’m in to hang out, could also be a good time to start planning a cruise or camp out for the warmer months.

I'm gonna bug you guys again. Since I will be be visiting my parents, that means getting back to working on my father's 40. Any recommendations for a mobile media blasting service? Here is where I left off last Christmas, did not have time to work on it during my brief visit in August.

1227171039.jpg

I'm gonna bug you guys again. Since I will be be visiting my parents, that means getting back to working on my father's 40. Any recommendations for a mobile media blasting service? Here is where I left off last Christmas, did not have time to work on it during my brief visit in August.

View attachment 1852345

Since it looks like you have the tub off, you could take it here American Metal Cleaning
They have tanks large enough to dip and chemically strip the entire body and bolt on parts. You would need to prime and seam seal when finished but you wouldnt run the risk of warping the panels from a blaster. I have an early bronco that will be getting that treatment.

Sounds like we're overdue for another meetup. I've been meaning to setup another get together at Level Beer but it's funny how life always seems to get in the way.

Assuming most of us will be busy with the holiday program, what do you say we shoot for the 2nd or 3rd weekend of January?

@FJ6T - I thought that color looked familiar. Great choice! I'd be down to get more experience with the trim installation stuff as I hope to be painting my rig in the next year or two. Just let me know.

Good lord @FJ6T that looks amazing.

I've never been to Level - on street view it looks like their parking lot is big enough for a handful of trucks, right?

@cheeese - Level is pretty cool despite being located in the middle of nowhere. Should be more than enough room for a 12+ rigs, especially after they expanded their parking lot to the west.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom