Early FJ40 Valuation If Updated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back story: I bought a 1978 40, body rough, complete, interior excellent, motor runs. I then came across a 1971 40, all original, runs and drives along with a 1976 40 for parts. It's mostly complete, tub is horrible. So I've ended up with three.

I plan to keep the 1971. However, it has no roll bar, column shift, vacuum 4wd of course, 60/40 seats. What I'm thinking is to take the seats, seat belts, and roll bar from the 78 and put into the 71. Down the road, I plan to rebuild the 2F from the 78 and swap out the motor and 4 speed from the 78 into the 71 as well. Of course I'd swap the front axle as well.

Here's my question. I'm not building it to flip it but at the same time realize that I'm not going to keep it forever so I want to make sure I'm not killing the value by upgrading it to the parts mentioned from the 78. Of course I could swap the tub from the 71 to the 78, but then I'd have a 78 with barn doors. However I do it, I'm going to have a mix of parts on the truck and wanted to get opinions on how / if that devalues the truck.

Thanks in advance!

I think that other than a totally original, nearly rust free original, you can't go wrong with quality newer Toyota based upgrades. Newer discs, 2f, 4 speed, etc are widely excepted here as long as you do quality work. Go for it.

Buyers who want a 78 will buy a 78. They won't want a 71 that has been transplanted with all the components of a 78 unless there is substantial savings. There are many details to consider. The roll bar from the 78 will not fit in the 71 with the long jump seats without some re-engineering for example. You will run into several re-engineering opportunities.

If you like to wrench on projects your plan is not a bad one. You end up with a 71 with 78 underpinnings. May be easier to swap the 71 tub onto the 78 frame. Sounds like you want a 78 to drive. If you want to get behind the wheel rather than wrench, I'd sell it all and buy a nice 78. Life is short.

The jump seats in my 78 are pristine...No rust and don’t even need recovering. I was going to swap those in with the roll bar and sell the long seats from the 71.

With the underseat tool box you will have to do some fab work to adapt those seats. IMHO, don't do anything that can't be returned to stock easily.

Good point on the toolbox. Thanks for all the input! Definitely gives me something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom