[pic] What is this blue fan clutch thingy? Picking up this car tomorrow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys and gals,

What is this thing? Imgur

I'm very likely picking up this 100 tomorrow and I'm just curious what the meaning of this is, since it looks like an aftermarket part.

I'm going to get the timing belt/tensioner/water pump/rollers done when I get it home, and I've also heard that the "fan bracket" should be done too. Pardon my ignorance, but is this blue thing part of that?

Thanks!

With no pic its hard to be sure of what 'blue thing part" you are referring to. However, it seems you are referring to the fan clutch. It's located directly behind the fan and is often blue in color.

With no pic its hard to be sure of what 'blue thing part" you are referring to. However, it seems you are referring to the fan clutch. It's located directly behind the fan and is often blue in color.

Is my imgur link in the post blocked on your end?

Looks like an upgraded fan clutch!

It is part of your fan clutch. Some of them are blue. Picture from old sale thread on this site. (not my picture)

dsc_0155-jpg.1018322

fanclutchpic.jpg
Exactly. The base of the fan clutch. Maybe it's been replaced. This is separate from the fan bracket which the blue base is mounted. The fan bracket is the part that has the bearing pulley to which this is mounted. Both will eventually need replacing at some point with wear.
Do not buy aftermarket- but here's a link to what it looks like.
1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser Engine Cooling Fan Pulley Bracket - Cooling System - Dorman 98-07 Land Cruiser Engine Cooling Fan Pulley Bracket - 8076-05053806 - PartsGeek

Last edited:
Oops, sorry, I missed that...it's working. That blue piece in the pic has 4 bolts that hold the fan and fan clutch to the drive pulley. I'm not sure what "fan bracket" you are referring to. The clutch can fail causing the fan to eat your radiator. Check your scheduled maintenance for the servicing the fan clutch with your mechanic. FYI- Look at the FAQ for the Series 100 in the upper third portion of the threads. Tons of information about the components on the truck in a condensed format. IMO you should replace the tension belt pulleys when you have the belt service done. They can be purchased as a kit.

The clutch can fail causing the fan to eat your radiator.

Brings back memories of my good ol BMW days, lol. Never happened to mine because I preemptively replaced the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom