Adding Relay: Starter - does this look correct? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
Need a little help wiring up a relay for my starter -thought I knew what to do and have read too much and gotten confused. The engine/starter is from an 85 FJ60 (if that helps). Installed in my 67 FJ40.

Relay terminal 87 - battery post from starter (14 gauge wiring)
Relay terminal 30 - spade off the starter solenoid (14 gauge wiring) - thinking this wire goes to terminal 30
Relay terminal 85 - Not sure what do with terminal 80
Relay terminal 86 - ground

Doing this all the existing wire was a mess and I was starting to get the click no-start. Cleaned up a lot of the wiring and now I am stuck on the solenoid.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Joe

relay_1.jpg

Relay Switch.jpg

Doesn't your starter have a solenoid attached to it? I don't see why you need that remote mounted solenoid or the relay. Although a relay would be used for ballast resistor bypass if you have one. Perhaps someone was using that extra solenoid for a bypass relay. Got a pic of your starter?

You dont need a remote solenoid or relay with that fj60 starter. That's just extra crap to cause problems.

Starter Picture...

Starter.jpg

Need more information on the relay ? Contacts, normally open vs. normally closed ? Part number of relay. ?

Here is the schematic for the relay. I am a complete knuckle-head when it come to relays.

Relay Diagram.jpg

Okay, just checked the "67 wiring diagram and there is no remote solenoid. I have this truck for a while and the solenoid is so old looking I though it was original equipment (duh). Went to MAD electronics to see what they said about their remote solenoid:

"Connection of a mechanic's remote starter button (with alligator clips and wires) will be easy. It's a very useful feature for engine service work, which requires "bumping" the starter. Examples of such use is adjusting valves, finding timing marks, testing compression, and installing distributors." But as Build Grind pointed out, "just extra crap to cause problems". Should it go?

The starter relay on the other hand, i read will minimize the voltage drop and help with the click no-start. If I want to go with the relay, would this then be correct:

Relay Post 30 - powered off the positive post on the starter
Relay Post 87 - to spade off the starter solenoid
Relay Post 86 - to ignition key
Relay Post 85 - to gound

Yes, that would work but achieves nothing. You're just running your starter activation circuit through and extra relay. If you're getting a "click no start" problem, this extra relay won't do anything for it. The wire from the ignition switch (start terminal) should go directly to the small terminal on the starter without the use of that relay. If you do that and you have a "click no start" issue then you have another problem.
If your ignition system utilizes a ballast resistor than you could use that relay for a "ballast resistor bypass" for starting which can help in cold weather.

Like stated above.....you don't need the relay. Why add extra crap to go bad? Keep it simple.

Mark (Mad Electrical) sells the remote relay mainly as a fix for hot start conditions on Chevys, Fords, etc where the exhaust system runs really close to the starter. That's not the case on most stock Cruisers. He's also a bit.. um... sensitive to wiring lengths and resistance readings. I've never found that to be an issue on small bodied fj40s. Now if you're running a battery in the trunk of your Bonneville....

Lose the extra relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom