'70 unknown dash indicator... quick question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anybody know what this indicator is for on my 1970 fj40? im assuming this is a 4wd light? if so, where is the "switch/ sensor" located on the vehicle?
dash question-1.jpg

that is what i thought... i just dont remember seeing the electrical connection on my t-case.... but i will go back and look again this evening... thank you for the confirmation.

On the early vacuum operated t-cases, the switch was on the vacuum switching module. Most folks have replaced the vacuum module with a manual lever setup (floor mount) which eliminates the switch. You can easily fabricate a switch and bracket setup for the lever system then use the existing wiring to the light. Just ground one side of the switch and the other wire goes to the light which always has power to it when the key is on.

T-Case4.jpg

The light on my 70 wasn't working when I bought it. When I checked to find out why this what I found. The plunger was frozen and the inside of the switch was toast. Replaced the switch with one I had soldered new leads on it works great. Kept the vacuum shift on my 68 until I went to a four speed in the nineties. I also cut the lower dash for a radio which did away with the bracket for the high low shifter. Personally I like the vacuum shifter and won't mind going back to it my 68. Then rig of just a high low setup for the floor. Unlike the FJ62 with the electrical vacuum switch the cable operated switch work flawlessly. Take my foot of the gas pedal and works great on the fly while moving.
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG

Wasn't there a few years where the t-case switch was built into the top housing plate? Seems I saw a pic of one....

The 4WD switch has to be in the front nose cone. The FJ62 has a switch the activates the electric vacuum switch when in low range.

Wasn't there a few years where the t-case switch was built into the top housing plate? Seems I saw a pic of one....

Seems like I have read something about it also. Stole this pic from your site. If I am thinking correctly the boss is tapped for a switch.

P4050372.jpg

Seems like I have read something about it also. Stole this pic from your site. If I am thinking correctly the boss is tapped for a switch.

View attachment 1685198

There were some markets that had a vacuum 4WD and floor mounted high/low lever. That switch on the top of the T case did the same as FJ62 and activated the vacuum switch which was electric on some 40 series. Never seen one in person just in the FSM.

4WD Indicator light. Lights if the T-Case is engaged in 4 wheel drive mode. There is a switch on the t-case that grounds the light causing it to light.

On my 70 the ground is in the base of the lamp. The switch on the vacuum diaphragm has two wires. All the switches I've seen have two wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom