dual battery set up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

budlightpup

SILVER Star
Threads
I am letting go of my 1970 FJ40 to my nephew. with the money i want to up grade my 100 series. I am looking for a good, dependable dual battery set up. what are y'all using and why?
FB_IMG_1444615753299.jpg

My advise is to buy the best main battery you can and a great jump pack and scrap the dual battery idea.

I wish someone had told me that years ago.
Curious about why you'd say that. My dual battery setup (a version of the simple dual battery setup, with a solenoid that disconnects the start battery from the house battery when the ignition is off) is completely unobtrusive, and requires no maintenance and cost me little in addition to the new additional AGM battery. I appreciate the peace of mind to run my fridge and not worry about the battery dying and having to rely on a jump box.

Hi,

I'm using a 275A motorized dual batteries. This unit automatically sense connected battery bank voltages and provide optimal, efficient charging of the second bank. It can isolate or combined both batteries in cab and in hood.

Hungry for power? Look for the 500A version.

Find out more here: Dual Operation VSS (Voltage Sensitive Switch) 275A Cont Motorized | BEP

I have been very happy with my Bluesea setup - build thread with specifics HERE.

I was going to home build a simple solenoid setup but due to lack of time went with Bluesea and glad I did. I had an issue with it and Bluesea customer service was excellent.

My advise is to buy the best main battery you can and a great jump pack and scrap the dual battery idea.

I wish someone had told me that years ago.

I've had good luck with single group 31 AGMs. I'm kicking around the idea of just having a second AGM battery on board and leaving it disconnected, keep it charged at home, or a portable solar setup and just use the battery as an emergency backup for the rare trip I go way out. I don't have high power needs, interior lights are LED, and the fridge is the biggest power draw.

Dual Interstate AGMs with a Blue Seas ML-ACR Isolator. I use a CPAP to sleep, so for camping wanted to be able to isolate my house circuit and winch circuits, self-jump, etc. Pricey compared to some DIY options, but bulletproof. Did the whole install, made my own cables and brackets, so it was fun doing it.

In my mind the only real reason to tolerate the weight and expense of a 2nd battery these days is if you have a winch. Like others above said, it isn't particularly expensive or difficult to get a 2nd battery, but its not cheaper or easier than simply buying a single deep-cycle AGM and a lithium jump pack. Electrical draw with today's fridges, LED lights and maybe a water pump is quite small.... Even with a 2nd battery you're likely to need at least 100W solar when staying in a spot for more than a couple of days.

If you use both of Slee's battery trays to have a Group 31 Interstate in primary location and Interstate MT7-75DT in the secondary location, would you use the smaller battery to start and run all of your accessories from the Group 31? Or run everything from Group 31 and have the secondary battery as strictly backup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom