Universal Oxygen sensor back to OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JayhawkFZJ80

95 Landcruiser, 206k miles, slowly baselining
Threads
Nube here.
20180322_173336[1].jpg
20180322_173352[1].jpg
So my Exhaust system is shot. Exhaust pipe broke after the oxygen sensor #1 and before the 1st cat. had someone weld it back temporarily.

Stopped by a muffler shop to see about replacing the Y-pipe and cats. There are multiple leaks at the cats assembly and a hole in the resonator.

id like to put in a Magnaflow Y-pipe but the previous owner had someone change the OEM Oxygen Sensor #1 into a universal sensor. see the photos. i've had a check engine light with a P0130 code ever since i've bought the Landcruiser.

Muffler guy isn't too keen on going with the Magnaflow Y-pipe cause he'd need to cut the wires and change the sensor back to OEM. Says the wires need to be a specific length and meter reading to get rid of the P0130 code and he can't guarantee it'll be fixed.

Per the Service Manuel I read that:
"HEATED OXYGEN SENSORS INSPECTION
1. INSPECT HEATER RESISTANCE OF HEATED
OXYGEN SENSOR
(a) Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor connector.
(b) Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between
terminals +B and HT.
Resistance:
5.0 - 6.5 at 20 C (68 F)
If resistance is not as specified, replace the heated
oxygen sensor. (See page MA-9 )
(c) Reconnect the heated oxygen sensor connector.
2. WARM UP ENGINE
Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating
temperature.
3. INSPECT FEEDBACK VOLTAGE
Connect the positive (+) probe of a voltmeter to
terminal VF1 or VF2 of the DLC1, and negative (-)
probe to terminal E1. Perform test."

anyone have any experience changing a universal oxygen sensor back to OEM? i imagine its not as simple as splicing the wires changing it back to OEM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried soldering O2 sensor wires?

Can you trace the wires of the universal sensor back up to where they were spliced? If so, you could just cut them out and splice in a used O2 sensor pigtail. I've ordered one from cruiserparts.net. They might have something for you. After splicing that in, all you'd need is an OEM sensor that's specific to your year of LC. Get your muffler guy to make/include a new flange (including threads) in the appropriate place on the new exhaust and install your new OEM sensor there.

I agree with Pin_Head, lose the muffler guy he doesn't know jack. The resistance is in the heater/senor not the connecting wires. You need to check the wiring that was modified as the previous repair should have kept the existing connector untouched and used the pigtail of the old sensor to make a splice. If that is the case using an OEM sensor is a trivial switch.

Can you trace the wires of the universal sensor back up to where they were spliced? If so, you could just cut them out and splice in a used O2 sensor pigtail. I've ordered one from cruiserparts.net. They might have something for you. After splicing that in, all you'd need is an OEM sensor that's specific to your year of LC. Get your muffler guy to make/include a new flange (including threads) in the appropriate place on the new exhaust and install your new OEM sensor there.

I was hoping it was as simple as splicing the OEM set up back in again. just didn't know what that part was called. O2 sensor pigtail. got it thanks.

I agree with Pin_Head, lose the muffler guy he doesn't know jack. The resistance is in the heater/senor not the connecting wires. You need to check the wiring that was modified as the previous repair should have kept the existing connector untouched and used the pigtail of the old sensor to make a splice. If that is the case using an OEM sensor is a trivial switch.

i'll check the wiring when i get home. i see black tape down there so i imagine when i peel it back i should see who to undo the "fix" and set it back up OEM style.

thanks guys!

Have you tried soldering O2 sensor wires?

Don't do this. It'll fail. Crimp connectors are the only in ine wiring connections that won't.

Refer to the harness repair FSM.

I was hoping it was as simple as splicing the OEM set up back in again. just didn't know what that part was called. O2 sensor pigtail. got it thanks.

i'll check the wiring when i get home. i see black tape down there so i imagine when i peel it back i should see who to undo the "fix" and set it back up OEM style.

thanks guys!
Pigtail is not the part name; it's just what everyone calls it. The new sensor comes with a pigtail. If you need to repair the harness side, you'll need to splice wires. Unless you'really really OCD. Then you can unwrap the harness and fix it the way it was made originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom